Author Topic: Bug fixing, a prospective upgrade of forum software and donations for Digibase.  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
Hello everyone,

I hope things are going well and everyone and such. I've been busy investigating the root cause as to why sessions keep breaking and believe to have identified the cause. Basically, the forum software generates a session file for every visit to the forum, sometimes they get re-used, other times they don't. However, these files can become very numerous (last count was about 430,000) and essentially prevent new session files from being created. I have added a solution that will run every day that will analyze these files and remove old and unused session files.

In addition to this, I will be investigating the prospect of upgrading the forum software to a more up to date version for security and stability reasons, but there should be really no change in functionality (We're not Youtube where things are changed around for the sake of change). How this will be done is relatively simple, a copy of the forum at any point in time will be made and tests will be performed upon the copy to detect issues. This means that copy can be crashed/trashed/etc as many times as needed to get it right before we do any kind of change "for real" where it matters.

Also finally, given that Digibase relies upon donations to keep our services online (we don't push ads or sell user data), we are again requesting donations from anyone who can. If you can't, don't worry, we're still here for you. If you can, we thank you so much. This month we're looking for 225 CAD, that's roughly 170 USD at current rates. You can contribute via paypal, kxeron@digibase.ca or via our homepage: http://digibase.ca (bottom left, below navigation) to which also accepts credit cards without a paypal account: "Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue" — every little bit counts. Thank you.
~Krad Xeron

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Thanks for your hard work.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Sorry it couldn't be more. But I really do appreciate all you have done for us here and want to thank you for your selfless dedication.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.