Author Topic: Evictim victims of crime  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Evictim victims of crime
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:52:35 am »
https://www.aclu.org/blog/washington-markup/town-near-you-people-are-being-evicted-their-homes-because-they-called-police

USA has laws, which depending on the location go by various names but are usually called something like "Nuisance law," which say that if a 911 call has been made then it counts as a strike against the landlord and renters in that location.

Like the case of a woman who called 911 after being attacked by her boyfriend. The boyfriend was arrested and she was warned that she will be evicted if she makes another 911 call. Well she didn't dare to call the police even when her boyfriend came back and stabbed her in the neck but her neighbours did make the call and she survived barely and as a punishment the police contacted her landlord and made sure that she got evicted.

What? Did you think that the law only applies to people who commit crimes in their homes like distributing pirated music or making drugs? Nope, doesn't matter whether you are a criminal or a victim, if your home is the scene of a crime there can be penalties to you or your landlord. And the only way for your landlord to prevent losing their license is to evict you.

Why are there laws like this? I guess that's a question for the philosophers because the article certainly doesn't give an adequate reason. It does mention that the laws may in fact violate federal laws so I suppose they might get taken out sometime. If the politicians in USA get together and don't make it a partisan issue or try to add some other agenda to the decision...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Evictim victims of crime
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:13:31 am »
I can't even...

How the fuck can it be a crime to call emergency services?

We're sorry Mr Landlord that your asset burned to the ground, but you know restrictions on making 911 calls and all that!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:40:45 pm »
No no, it's not a crime to call the emergency services. It's a crime if a 911 call is made and the location of the crime is your home.

Because that means that you are a "nuisance." That means that some sort of undesirables live in your home. Committing crimes or being victims of crime, it's all the same if it means that the police come to your apartment, IT LOOKS BAD AND MIGHT MAKE THE PROPERTY VALUE GO DOWN!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:26:22 pm »
And this has to be written into law instead of just being part of a tenancy agreement that landlords could include or not as they think best? What happened to the free market?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.