Author Topic: My official statement  (Read 18063 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: My official statement
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »
My purpose is two-item:

1. To consult, provide guidance to the existing administration/moderation - I have extensive experience in both informal and formal situations and have experience in policy writing.

2. (as mentioned) To enforce

You also need to know the community you're working in. I don't want to think you're stupid, but shutting down debate is the worst possible thing you can do in this community. We are, at our core, a community of rational people--some more so than others at times, obviously.

But not letting people talk through problems will only create more of them.

The mods are not shutting down debate here, they're closing threads that have no purpose but to stoke the drama that happened over the weekend. I would like to think we could all stop being at each other's throats now.

Yes, because saying "any new threads to continue this discussion will be locked" is totally not shutting down debate.

There wasn't exactly any debating going on. The Vene thread descended into cute pictures. The ragequit thread was nothing but ironbite trying to get banned. I don't think I need to explain how a thread titled "You are all idiots" is not debate and straight up ad hominem. And the abandon ship thread just turned into a group hug. By all means, if you want to continue to bicker about who was to blame for what and continue to tear the board apart, start a new thread. The rest of us want to attempt to put this behind us.

If I was trying to get banned you'd know it new bestest friend in the whole wide world.  Mostly by doing the most offensive flames I can think of.

Ironbite-that was me venting

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »
If I was trying to get banned you'd know it new bestest friend in the whole wide world.
you told Nappy in the other IRC that you were "trying to get banned in an amusing way".
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 06:33:39 pm »
No.  He asked me to get banned in an amusing way.  Then offered a reward.  So I tried, then got bored.

Ironbite-difference.

Offline Mantorok

• Apprentice
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »
There wasn't exactly any debating going on. The Vene thread descended into cute pictures. The ragequit thread was nothing but ironbite trying to get banned. I don't think I need to explain how a thread titled "You are all idiots" is not debate and straight up ad hominem. And the abandon ship thread just turned into a group hug. By all means, if you want to continue to bicker about who was to blame for what and continue to tear the board apart, start a new thread. The rest of us want to attempt to put this behind us.
I like how you left out the "I take my leave" thread. You know, the one that didn't deserve to be locked but you were spamming with crap.

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:56 pm »
No.  He asked me to get banned in an amusing way.  Then offered a reward.  So I tried, then got bored.

Ironbite-difference.
so trying to get banned is different from trying to get banned? okay...
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Offline Paimun

• Captain Puntastic
  • Bishop
  • I'm a dirty hippie
    • COAT HANGER ABORTIONS THE MUSICAL
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »
If I was trying to get banned you'd know it new bestest friend in the whole wide world.  Mostly by doing the most offensive flames I can think of.

[12:39:18AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> Ib, if you get banned in an amusing way you'll be granted a bonus 1000 experience in my game.
[12:39:23AM] <ironbite4> lulz
[12:39:25AM] <ironbite4> I'm trying
[12:39:39AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> Oh, tell the mod who did that to fuck off!
[12:39:43AM] <ironbite4> did
[12:39:48AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> And?
[12:39:48AM] <ironbite4> and he's no longer a mod or admin
[12:39:53AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> Hah!
[12:39:53AM] <&Oriet> XD
[12:39:56AM] <ironbite4> that lasted all of two seconds
[12:39:59AM] <ironbite4> he's now a neonate

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »
Define "wrecking". Everyone has different ways of coping. Those more attached to the forums are obviously likely to be more upset at recent events. Several of our Old Guard are gone, several more are considering it. The rest of us are hoping things get better.

But people still need to talk, even if that talk isn't always friendly. That's the crux of the issue here--FSTDT was never a place to come for someone to hold your hand. It was where you came to get your ass kicked when you were acting stupid.

Right now, you're punishing the ass-kickers and shielding the stupid from what was the whole damned point of the forums.

The problem in through there is that some people's way of coping can damage the resolution process. They may feel slighted or angered, yes - however they must also acknowledge that they must be able to control those emotions, otherwise those emotions will control them during this process.

I hope that this problem resolves, the only way to do that is not to post the same things over and over in slightly different ways and actually present solutions, to move forward - which the threads up to this point have not been accomplishing.
~Krad Xeron

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »

[12:39:18AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> Ib, if you get banned in an amusing way you'll be granted a bonus 1000 experience in my game.
[12:39:23AM] <ironbite4> lulz
[12:39:25AM] <ironbite4> I'm trying
[12:39:39AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> Oh, tell the mod who did that to fuck off!
[12:39:43AM] <ironbite4> did
[12:39:48AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> And?
[12:39:48AM] <ironbite4> and he's no longer a mod or admin
[12:39:53AM] <@Napoleon_the_Clown> Hah!
[12:39:53AM] <&Oriet> XD
[12:39:56AM] <ironbite4> that lasted all of two seconds
[12:39:59AM] <ironbite4> he's now a neonate

Cute but now I'm bored with trying to get banned.  I reserve the right to change my mind at any moment newest bestest friend.

Ironbite-so throwing my words in my own face means....NOTHING!

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »
Locking this thread. If you have interest on resolving this issue, see: http://forums.fstdt.net/flame-and-burn/recent-events/
~Krad Xeron