Author Topic: First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years is Coming to Iceland  (Read 9636 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years is Coming to Iceland
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 04:05:26 pm »
OK while I have no trouble with a viking temple, and it sounds kind of cool, Neo Paganism is bullshit. It's not a re-boot of an ancient religion  because quite simply we don't know enough about that particular type of religious observance. Quite frankly neo-paganism is bullshit making it up as it goes along. It is however mostly harmless bullshit, although I have my reservations about how good it is for people who already have mental health issues and am concerned about some of the xenophobia and racist hostility that can be present in neopagan bullshit. To the extent that it is people dressing up funny and pretending to be druids, vikings or whatever else, enjoy your fancy dress crackers.

Isn't "bullshit" strong a word?

To davedan, Art Vandelay and other "All Religious/Spiritual Belief Is EVIL!" assclowns;

Well personally, I don't like Anti-Theism bullshit. Atheism in general is fine but anti-theism is bullshit!

You see, sweetie. Only FRUMMER religion is bullshit. Normal spirituality that's not frummy, including Paganism, is NOT bullshit.

When you call my faith or U.P's faith BULLSHIT, you're putting us in the same category as freaks like Daesh, WBC, Scott Lively, Haredis, etc.

So some people are spiritual and that's an affront to your existence! It doesn't matter if that spiritual person is perfectly sane, free, open, liberal, pro-science, pro-reason & loathes religious fanaticism as much as you do! No! They're all backwards delusional idiots who belong in the Bronze Age! Well, TOO BAD...SO SAAAAD! We exist and we're you're ALLIES! We're in this together, man!

Yes, it is good to critique religions & I have no problem with Atheists & the Skeptical. BUT "TOSS THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATHWATER" ANTI-THEISTS DRIVE ME CRAY-CRAY!

When folks call my spirituality "bullshit", I don't like it. You can say that you personally find it nonsensical, fine. But when you repeatedly insult it you insult me as a person. I don't care how "cool" you think Penn & Teller is! I don't care if "Bullshit" is the "cool new term to call all spirituality"....I think ANTI-Theism is as much BULLSHIT as Religious Frummerism!

Pretty much this.  I honestly couldn't give less of a fuck if somebody's an atheist, but I find even milder forms of anti-theism to be intellectually dishonest and closed-minded.  Moreover, when you get right down to it, they're really not all that different from the religious fanatics they rail against.

Exactly! I have no problem with Atheists. I don't even have a problem with criticizing aspects of religions. But AntiTheists irritate me. I don't wish them harm or anything. I respect their right to live and be who they are but *GAH*!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 05:31:22 pm »
Pretty much this.  I honestly couldn't give less of a fuck if somebody's an atheist, but I find even milder forms of anti-theism to be intellectually dishonest and closed-minded.  Moreover, when you get right down to it, they're really not all that different from the religious fanatics they rail against.

UP, you would've liked Dynamic Dragon's anti-theist thread.

Christians reject the existence of all gods except their own. Anti-theists go one god further. I don't see how it's intellectually dishonest to dismiss out of hand the existence of an ill-defined and contradictory concept, but you can show me evidence for your deity and I'll change my mind.

Well, TOO BAD...SO SAAAAD! We exist and we're you're ALLIES! We're in this together, man!

I don't buy your fake accommodationalism.

ANTI-THEISTS DRIVE ME CRAY-CRAY!

That's more like it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 05:34:19 pm »
There are other discussions that have been had on this forum to which I would draw parallels save only for the fact that I have no desire to stir up more shit than this discussion is already stirring up.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 05:43:45 pm »
OK while I have no trouble with a viking temple, and it sounds kind of cool, Neo Paganism is bullshit. It's not a re-boot of an ancient religion  because quite simply we don't know enough about that particular type of religious observance. Quite frankly neo-paganism is bullshit making it up as it goes along. It is however mostly harmless bullshit, although I have my reservations about how good it is for people who already have mental health issues and am concerned about some of the xenophobia and racist hostility that can be present in neopagan bullshit. To the extent that it is people dressing up funny and pretending to be druids, vikings or whatever else, enjoy your fancy dress crackers.

To davedan, Art Vandelay and other "All Religious/Spiritual Belief Is EVIL!" assclowns;

Well personally, I don't like Anti-Theism bullshit. Atheism in general is fine but anti-theism is bullshit!

You see, sweetie. Only FRUMMER religion is bullshit. Normal spirituality that's not frummy, including Paganism, is NOT bullshit.

When you call my faith or U.P's faith BULLSHIT, you're putting us in the same category as freaks like Daesh, WBC, Scott Lively, Haredis, etc.

So some people are spiritual and that's an affront to your existence! It doesn't matter if that spiritual person is perfectly sane, free, open, liberal, pro-science, pro-reason & loathes religious fanaticism as much as you do! No! They're all backwards delusional idiots who belong in the Bronze Age! Well, TOO BAD...SO SAAAAD! We exist and we're you're ALLIES! We're in this together, man!

Yes, it is good to critique religions & I have no problem with Atheists & the Skeptical. BUT "TOSS THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATHWATER" ANTI-THEISTS DRIVE ME CRAY-CRAY!

When folks call my spirituality "bullshit", I don't like it. You can say that you personally find it nonsensical, fine. But when you repeatedly insult it you insult me as a person. I don't care how "cool" you think Penn & Teller is! I don't care if "Bullshit" is the "cool new term to call all spirituality"....I think ANTI-Theism is as much BULLSHIT as Religious Frummerism!

UP: Please give me a lesson about intellectual dishonesty...you've got so much experience in it this should be great. Or is this just another throw away comment where you have no ability to back it up. Personally I find people who profess to be christians but who have not given away all their possessions to be intellectually dishonest.

My leather clad jane fonda loving friend: Please read what I said. While I think it's bullshit, and no bullshit is not too strong a word. I said it is mostly harmless and while it is harmless, I'm happy enough for those people to keep at it. As for the word 'bullshit' well it is used because you are believing in something which is not reflective of reality. In fact most neopagans I know of accept that it is not reflective of reality. Ergo 'bullshit'. If you are concerned that it should reflect reality or about my opinion (I wouldnt be concerned about my opinion cracker) you can feel free to show that it isn't 'bullshit'.

Donny: Shut up!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 05:58:11 pm »
Oh is UP talking about intellectual dishonesty again?

Ironbite-or are people disagreeing with him?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 07:07:43 pm »

Yes, it is in fact bullshit, basically for the reasons Sigma described. As I said before, social justice is far from the only reason to criticise religion, and your poor widdle fee-fees are most certainly no reason to not criticise a worldview that's a load of made up, contradictory horseshit that's based entirely on blind faith rather than any sort of evidence or logic. You don't like it? Then fuck off and go find yourself a new age echo chamber to hang out. No one's keeping you here.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 07:08:53 pm »
Viking temples are very, very good things.  You'll simply have to take my word for it.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:11 pm »
Viking temples are very, very good things.  You'll simply have to take my word for it.

Thousand-year-old viking needs new temple badly.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »

Thousand-year-old viking needs new temple badly.

Does not need to be cobblestone to apply.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 12:07:40 am »

*Waits for the inevitable "Shut up, Donny".

Actually, Asatru is a example of mesopaganism. We know a good deal about Norse religion, as opposed to the wholly cut out of whole cloth Wicca.

It's like battlefield reenactment in a way, hence my use of the word "farb" to refer to Neo-Nazi believers of Asatru.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread again, but I have to say this: we actually know very, very little for certain about Norse paganism as it was originally practiced. That's because we don't have any writings from that time period to confirm our hypotheses about the details of what they believed. All the written sources we have on religion were written well after that region converted pretty wholesale to Christianity. We have general ideas about which gods the pagans worshiped, what some of their myths were, and so on, but when it comes to the details of their theology or religious philosophy we don't have anything at all. Heck, even what we know about the myths isn't necessarily reliable and might be heavily influenced by Christian themes, since Snorri Sturluson (the guy writing all this down) had a religious education and seemed to write with the intention of delegitimizing its old folklore. (For example, he explained the origins of the Aesir as a tribe of warlords from Asia that became so renowned they were treated as gods.) Ragnarok's themes are eerily similar to those of Revelations, Ask and Embla (the first humans in Norse myth) may simply be analogues to Adam and Eve, and a much of surviving medieval Scandinavian literature has a decidedly pro-Christian message. There was probably a period of time when both paganism and Christianity were practiced side by side and were influenced by each other as a result, but we don't have any "real Norse paganism" with which to compare its modern Neopagan revivals.

EDIT:

As a side note:

[...]

I think ANTI-Theism is as much BULLSHIT as Religious Frummerism!

I'm not antitheist or antireligious. I think that spiritual and religious beliefs don't have enough evidence to support them (and I respect any religious person who will admit at least that), but I can understand why some people are helped by believing in them.

That being said, do you know what "frum" even means?

Frum is a Yiddish term for "Holier-than-thou religious nut". I don't use "fundamentalist/fundie" anymore because it give legitimacy to religious fanaticism. It refers to "the fundamentals of the faith". Now, while frums might follow the "fundamentals", they tend to ignore the nice parts & embrace the stupid parts. Many ChristoFrums ignore Jesus' emphasis on love, non-violence, forgiveness, unconditional love, kindness, gentleness, charity, good deeds, humanitarianism, mercy, non-judgmental, etc. I can't fathom a judgmental, bigoted, hateful schlub as someone who follows all the Christ-like fundamentals.....so, I call them, "Frummers".

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:42 am »
I can't fathom a judgmental, bigoted, hateful schlub as someone who follows all the Christ-like fundamentals.....so, I call them, "Frummers".

You do know that the Bible has some vile stuff in it, don't you? I at least respect fundamentalists for owning up to that.

Jesus, if he existed at all, wrote nothing down. All we have are second-hand accounts that attribute kind and loving sayings to him like "I came not to send peace, but a sword....And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.", and "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." And that's not even getting into the fact that the New Testament introduced the threat of eternal suffering to Abrahamic theology.

The cafeteria Christians that think Jesus had a spotless philosophy are the ones that cherry-pick worse than most fundamentalists.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »

So this temple, will there be feasting and such? Perhaps sharing of pillage from raiding parties? Or anything Vikingesque?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.