Author Topic: First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years is Coming to Iceland  (Read 9633 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years is Coming to Iceland
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »
The last thing the world needs is more religion.

What we want in this thread is a neopagan circlejerk, not silly things like facts.

Yes, because anti-theism is all about facts, and not a cover for yet more reactionary bullshit.  The exact same kind of reactionary bullshit you find in Fundamentalist Christianity, but don't point that out, because its inconvenient.

We get it, you don't like religion.  Stop beatin the horse because its long since dead.  You aren't gonna convert us to your glorious, trilby-wearing ways.

THANK YOU!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 01:03:58 pm »

What we want in this thread is a neopagan circlejerk, not silly things like facts.

Yes, because anti-theism is all about facts, and not a cover for yet more reactionary bullshit.  The exact same kind of reactionary bullshit you find in Fundamentalist Christianity, but don't point that out, because its inconvenient.

We get it, you don't like religion.  Stop beatin the horse because its long since dead.  You aren't gonna convert us to your glorious, trilby-wearing ways.

How do you get from anti-theism, which is just one belief, to "reactionary bullshit"? Does any criticism of religion really offend you that much?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 02:02:27 pm »

How do you get from anti-theism, which is just one belief, to "reactionary bullshit"? Does any criticism of religion really offend you that much?

Strictly speaking, Art didn't "critizise" religion. He just complained about the mere existence of religions without providing any reason as to why religions are bad (and didn't specify that things like religious extremism, or just certain religions would be bad, that was a complaint about any religion existing.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 06:29:08 pm »

Strictly speaking, Art didn't "critizise" religion. He just complained about the mere existence of religions without providing any reason as to why religions are bad (and didn't specify that things like religious extremism, or just certain religions would be bad, that was a complaint about any religion existing.)

For starters, religion is based on blind faith in fantastical nonsense. Legitimising that way of thinking is most certainly a bad thing. Any shitty behavior from individuals or certain religions is just the cherry on top.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:38 pm »

For starters, religion is based on blind faith in fantastical nonsense. Legitimising that way of thinking is most certainly a bad thing. Any shitty behavior from individuals or certain religions is just the cherry on top.

Well, why are you so concerned about other people's private lives?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:41 pm »
I said religion itself is an inherently bad thing. Not that I can or should control what what people think.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 12:00:00 am »

Because Art Vandelay is a trolling, contrarian turkey-head!

YO! ARTIE! I'M A SHAKTAPAGAN AND PROUD OF IT! B'WAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

....and Ultimate Paragon is a sane, normal Christian!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 12:45:24 am »
Because Art Vandelay is a trolling, contrarian turkey-head!

YO! ARTIE! I'M A SHAKTAPAGAN AND PROUD OF IT! B'WAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

....and Ultimate Paragon is a sane, normal Christian!
Yeah, let's just say you certainly strike me as the type who'd be into that sort of thing. Being the resident new age fundie is kind of what you're known for around here.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:38:20 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 02:17:59 am »
One of my old acquaintances can actually trace her heritage back to Leif Erikson himself.  And she's fucking proud of her bloodline.  I don't see any harm in this.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 02:26:44 am »
OK while I have no trouble with a viking temple, and it sounds kind of cool, Neo Paganism is bullshit. It's not a re-boot of an ancient religion  because quite simply we don't know enough about that particular type of religious observance. Quite frankly neo-paganism is bullshit making it up as it goes along. It is however mostly harmless bullshit, although I have my reservations about how good it is for people who already have mental health issues and am concerned about some of the xenophobia and racist hostility that can be present in neopagan bullshit. To the extent that it is people dressing up funny and pretending to be druids, vikings or whatever else, enjoy your fancy dress crackers.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 10:50:12 am »
OK while I have no trouble with a viking temple, and it sounds kind of cool, Neo Paganism is bullshit. It's not a re-boot of an ancient religion  because quite simply we don't know enough about that particular type of religious observance. Quite frankly neo-paganism is bullshit making it up as it goes along. It is however mostly harmless bullshit, although I have my reservations about how good it is for people who already have mental health issues and am concerned about some of the xenophobia and racist hostility that can be present in neopagan bullshit. To the extent that it is people dressing up funny and pretending to be druids, vikings or whatever else, enjoy your fancy dress crackers.

*Waits for the inevitable "Shut up, Donny".

Actually, Asatru is a example of mesopaganism. We know a good deal about Norse religion, as opposed to the wholly cut out of whole cloth Wicca.

It's like battlefield reenactment in a way, hence my use of the word "farb" to refer to Neo-Nazi believers of Asatru.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 12:34:26 pm »
One of my old acquaintances can actually trace her heritage back to Leif Erikson himself.  And she's fucking proud of her bloodline.  I don't see any harm in this.
Leif was actually a Christian.  ;)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:32 pm »

Isn't "bullshit" strong a word?

To davedan, Art Vandelay and other "All Religious/Spiritual Belief Is EVIL!" assclowns;

Well personally, I don't like Anti-Theism bullshit. Atheism in general is fine but anti-theism is bullshit!

You see, sweetie. Only FRUMMER religion is bullshit. Normal spirituality that's not frummy, including Paganism, is NOT bullshit.

When you call my faith or U.P's faith BULLSHIT, you're putting us in the same category as freaks like Daesh, WBC, Scott Lively, Haredis, etc.

So some people are spiritual and that's an affront to your existence! It doesn't matter if that spiritual person is perfectly sane, free, open, liberal, pro-science, pro-reason & loathes religious fanaticism as much as you do! No! They're all backwards delusional idiots who belong in the Bronze Age! Well, TOO BAD...SO SAAAAD! We exist and we're you're ALLIES! We're in this together, man!

Yes, it is good to critique religions & I have no problem with Atheists & the Skeptical. BUT "TOSS THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATHWATER" ANTI-THEISTS DRIVE ME CRAY-CRAY!

When folks call my spirituality "bullshit", I don't like it. You can say that you personally find it nonsensical, fine. But when you repeatedly insult it you insult me as a person. I don't care how "cool" you think Penn & Teller is! I don't care if "Bullshit" is the "cool new term to call all spirituality"....I think ANTI-Theism is as much BULLSHIT as Religious Frummerism!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »

Isn't "bullshit" strong a word?

To davedan, Art Vandelay and other "All Religious/Spiritual Belief Is EVIL!" assclowns;

Well personally, I don't like Anti-Theism bullshit. Atheism in general is fine but anti-theism is bullshit!

You see, sweetie. Only FRUMMER religion is bullshit. Normal spirituality that's not frummy, including Paganism, is NOT bullshit.

When you call my faith or U.P's faith BULLSHIT, you're putting us in the same category as freaks like Daesh, WBC, Scott Lively, Haredis, etc.

So some people are spiritual and that's an affront to your existence! It doesn't matter if that spiritual person is perfectly sane, free, open, liberal, pro-science, pro-reason & loathes religious fanaticism as much as you do! No! They're all backwards delusional idiots who belong in the Bronze Age! Well, TOO BAD...SO SAAAAD! We exist and we're you're ALLIES! We're in this together, man!

Yes, it is good to critique religions & I have no problem with Atheists & the Skeptical. BUT "TOSS THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATHWATER" ANTI-THEISTS DRIVE ME CRAY-CRAY!

When folks call my spirituality "bullshit", I don't like it. You can say that you personally find it nonsensical, fine. But when you repeatedly insult it you insult me as a person. I don't care how "cool" you think Penn & Teller is! I don't care if "Bullshit" is the "cool new term to call all spirituality"....I think ANTI-Theism is as much BULLSHIT as Religious Frummerism!

Pretty much this.  I honestly couldn't give less of a fuck if somebody's an atheist, but I find even milder forms of anti-theism to be intellectually dishonest and closed-minded.  Moreover, when you get right down to it, they're really not all that different from the religious fanatics they rail against.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:14 pm »
Hi, anti-theist here. Can't speak for Art, dave, etc, but then they don't need me to.

When I call all spirituality bullshit, I'm saying this: it's a statement about the world that isn't true. Gentle, cuddly, progressive spirituality is typically preferable to the alternative, but it's still not true, and that matters a great deal.

It's not an attack on you. I have plenty of respect for a lot of people who are vaguely spiritual or passionately religious. Everyone has false beliefs. I have false beliefs, I just don't know what they are.

Nevertheless, people make decisions based on their beliefs, and wrong beliefs lead to harmful decisions. So yeah, if I think you are wrong on something I will say so*. I can respect the areas where we are allies while still disagreeing elsewhere.

UP: I'm more than happy to discuss why you think I'm close-minded, intellectually dishonest and similar to a religious fanatic. Want me to start a thread on it?

*Contextually dependent, of course. Talking with my Catholic grandmother over dinner is not the same as a discussion forum where criticism of religion is more or less expected.
Σא