Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 121625 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2015, 09:29:18 am »
It's not so much that they drag on, but that they don't do anything.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2015, 09:30:09 am »
Like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:45 am »
"The Aeronaut's Windlass", the first book in a new steampunk series from Jim Butcher. So far, it's pretty good...one of the main characters is an intelligent cat names Rowl who calls his human companion Littlemouse.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:51 am »
i'm rereading honorifica imperialis, an omnibus of imperial guard novels by the black library. i'm on a wh40k/imperial guard kick lately.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Because somehow I hadn't read it yet in all of my years. Good novel.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16:27 pm »
Went to Closer to the Heart because that's a book I was waiting for and now back to more modern times in Valdemar.

Ironbite-Winds of Fate is almost done cause I read like a madman and will be doing Winds of Change next.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2015, 12:37:43 am »
Finished Star Wars: Aftermath, and started reading [Star Wars: Rise Of The Empire which is a bundle of both A New Dawn and Tarkin amd three short stories. I already have and read the two novels, and only bought the book for the short stories. Damn you, Star Wars...

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #442 on: June 19, 2016, 03:45:59 am »
I finished the last Discworld book not long ago. Excuse me while I go cry my eyes out.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #443 on: June 20, 2016, 05:00:42 am »
Finished Star Wars: Aftermath, and started reading [Star Wars: Rise Of The Empire which is a bundle of both A New Dawn and Tarkin amd three short stories. I already have and read the two novels, and only bought the book for the short stories. Damn you, Star Wars...

Aftermath was good; looking forward to the sequel, Life Debt.  However, I liked Lost Stars better, even though I spent half the book wanting to punch one of the main characters.  I finished Bloodline not long ago.  It was okay, but I liked Bloodline better.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #444 on: July 22, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »
I recently finished, "We have always lived in the castle," by Shirley Jackson. Pretty good and creepy, especially when re-reading. After reading, "The haunting of Hill House" last year, I'm becoming a fan of Jackson.

A warning though if you read these books: Stay away from the Introduction until you finish the book. Both times, the person who wrote the intro spoiled the entire book. If you want to discuss themes of the book, fine. But if you plan to spoil the entire plot, stick your discussion at the end of the book instead. At least with, Castle, I skipped the intro after seeing signs of this, returning later to see this, but I did get a huge unwanted spoiler with Hill House.

Currently reading, "The third policeman." And while I knew it was supposed to be weird before I started, I now realize that it's got some Phantom Tollbooth-level mind screws!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2016, 12:34:13 pm »
The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. A pretty good historical adventure following a man through the height of Moorish Spain and medieval Europe. Not to mention a half decent romance, like the rest of his books.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #446 on: September 17, 2016, 10:29:53 am »
Recently finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, super enjoyed that; now reading The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint, and finding it pretty much unputdownable :o

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #447 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »
The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. A pretty good historical adventure following a man through the height of Moorish Spain and medieval Europe. Not to mention a half decent romance, like the rest of his books.

YES!  Someone else who's read it!

Recently I've been re-reading Catherine Asaro's Lost Continent series.  Pretty good fantasy romance, plus, I adore the magic system.  It is, quite honestly, exactly what you'd expect a physicist to come up with. :)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2017, 05:45:00 pm »
American Gods
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #449 on: January 28, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »
Professional C++ by Marc Gregoire.  Its almost like learning the language all over again, with all the shit C++11 and 14 added...and I'm loving every second of it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.