Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387098 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2910 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:11 am »
If they can't get a veto-proof majority, what possible chance do you think they'll be able to pass a Constitutional amendment in Congress?  Then it has to go to the States where it has less chance of passing.  Yeah the whole point of the resolution on Trump's national emergency was to pin certain Senators to the wall for 2020.  Collins is pretty much done in Maine due to her Kavanaugh vote now blowing up in her face but the rest are realizing exactly what type of a sinking ship they've got.  Hence the votes against Trump.

Ironbite-when will Mueller Monday happen I wonder.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2911 on: March 15, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-border-emergency-congress-1.5058419

Trump vetoed it, of course.

As for the amendment, they should do that on general principle. To adapt Tony Benn, "The [incident] concerned was only the occasion for change." They won't, of course, but they should.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2912 on: March 16, 2019, 02:10:34 am »
The next president of USA can declare a national emergency over gun violence, healthcare and anything else they may desire to do so for. And then use their veto to keep it up.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2913 on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:16 am »
The next president of USA can declare a national emergency over gun violence, healthcare and anything else they may desire to do so for. And then use their veto to keep it up.
Assuming Congress will let them, which they almost certainly won't, thanks to the vast majority of both parties being thoroughly corrupt.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2914 on: March 16, 2019, 02:51:23 am »

Well there is a question of how far they can divert funds.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/chapter-34
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/2808
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/2801
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/33/2293

Diverting funds for military construction projects is one thing. Diverting funds to do something like create a single-payer health insurance system or a gun buyback program would be another thing entirely.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2915 on: March 16, 2019, 05:57:48 am »

Do repubs still pretend to be the small gov party or is that basically out the window and only Libertarians like Rand Paul still even care about that issue? I mean, say what you will about pube-head but he's actually very principled compared to well, most of his political party.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2916 on: March 16, 2019, 10:11:30 am »

Do repubs still pretend to be the small gov party or is that basically out the window and only Libertarians like Rand Paul still even care about that issue? I mean, say what you will about pube-head but he's actually very principled compared to well, most of his political party.

Course they claim to be the party of small government. Just like they claim to be the party of tax cuts.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2917 on: March 16, 2019, 03:27:03 pm »
Assuming Congress will let them, which they almost certainly won't, thanks to the vast majority of both parties being thoroughly corrupt.

While that's cute, unless there's a law passed, hands are tied if Trump gets away with this.

Ironbite-and the GOP marches once more into obscurity but not fast enough.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2918 on: March 16, 2019, 07:30:38 pm »

While that's cute, unless there's a law passed, hands are tied if Trump gets away with this.

But think of the dead babies, and the confiscated guns, and the gays who want wedding cakes, and the atheists who will repossess your church, and the Muslims who will shoot up your mall, and the illegals who will rape your daughters...

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2919 on: March 16, 2019, 07:51:55 pm »

Not really. Just like the current situation, they’d need a non vetoable majority. Which, I suspect, will be no problem whatsoever if the gun or private health insurance lobby feels their profits are threatened.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2920 on: March 22, 2019, 05:33:32 pm »
So Mueller released his report. Any predictions? I'm guessing Trump will try and prevent the public from seeing it.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2921 on: March 22, 2019, 06:25:54 pm »
He delivered his report.  Not released it.

Ironbite-now we play the waiting game.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2922 on: March 22, 2019, 06:42:43 pm »
AG Barr will probably redact anything that could criminalize Trump and Trump will probably use executive orders to hide anything else he sees as bad which will lead us into years of legal battles.

Trump will also say he read the report and that it clears him of any wrong doing, but that he doesn't have to release it because believe him.

And then for the rest of his presidency the press will ask him if he is going to release Muellers report and he'll say.
"I tell you I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking I might do it sometime in the near future. I don't really need to because it clears me of any wrong doing. Let me tell you this was all a tremendous waste of time. Mueller's a very arrogant bad man. Bad for The country. The economy is doing really really good folks. Really good. Trump is good for the country."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:40:26 pm by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2923 on: March 23, 2019, 01:40:51 am »
i don't like the waiting game this game is boring.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2924 on: March 23, 2019, 01:47:13 am »
I guess you could always try the mating game instead.

Just don't do that with any animals. I learned the hard way that there are certain negative consequences involved.