Author Topic: Google facing multiple lawsuits  (Read 49544 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2018, 08:04:38 am »
But that's just a bitter, incompetent ex-employee trying to use fake PC outrage to get rich, amirite?

On a serious note, the behaviour she alleges happened makes me feel physically ill. Is it that difficult to treat the members of the opposite sex as human beings?

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2018, 08:56:00 am »
The minute bros were allowed to enter anything other than popularized brain damage sportsball was the day that actual, intellectual careers got a collective nutshot.  Kick them out and let them get to what they really should be doing: either getting shot by enemy soldiers or suffering repeated blows to the head for fame.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2018, 04:23:00 am »
Or perhaps having a practically male-only environment can create and/or empower the bro-mentality independent of the intellectual level of individuals.

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2018, 10:15:31 am »
Also yes.

I still think the only place bros are welcome is in the blazing inferno at the heart of the sun.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2018, 11:37:46 am »

I would like to disprove this graph but as I see no citations or even any numbers I have no idea what this is based on other than good ol' asspull tactic.

Also: "poorer countries have stronger adherence to them."

Note the phrase, IF there is any validity to anything he says then why should we follow something that poor countries do and rich countries don't? Wasn't this supposed to be about what's economically smart to do? If this graph is correct it seems to implicate that the more people care about "manhood" the less there are resources unless I am reading it wrong, which is possible because THERE ARE NO FUCKING NUMBERS OR ANYTHING! Like most of his arguments he just brings up some claims that he never backs up.

It's also worth pointing out that nations that shirk traditional gender roles tend to be wealthier for that reason. For example, if your society thinks women shouldn't work, well you just took half the labor and half the intelligence out of your work force so that they can focus on being breedin' machines. So, assuming he even puts arbitrary numbers on that paint-JPEG that he calls a graph, he still confuses cause and effect (i.e. he posits that fewer economic resources necessitates traditional gender roles rather than less emphasis on gender roles creating more economic development).

What an asshole.

Are you sure that's how it is? I'd like a source.

Meanwhile, in the real world-rather than wait for nature to assert it's natural boundaries of male / female job roles other google bros besides Damore have been allegedly making life hell for women who dare enter their playpen when nature doesn't do what they told it!

Lee's lawsuit — filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court — alleges the company failed to to protect her, saying, "Google's bro-culture contributed to (Lee's) suffering frequent sexual harassment and gender discrimination, for which Google failed to take corrective action."

Lee claims that the "severe and pervasive" sexual harassment she experienced included daily abuse and egregious incidents. In addition to making lewd comments to her and ogling her "constantly," Lee's male co-workers spiked her drinks with whiskey and laughed about it; and shot Nerf balls and darts at her "almost every day," the suit alleges.

One male colleague sent her a text message asking if she wanted a "horizontal hug," while another showed up at her apartment with a bottle of liquor, offering to help her fix a problem with one of her devices, refusing to leave when she asked him to, she alleges.

At a holiday party, Lee "was slapped in the face by an intoxicated male co-worker for no apparent reason," according to the suit.

In January 2016, while working late one night, she was approaching her work space when she saw a male colleague whom she had never spoken with "on all fours, underneath her desk," she claims. When he saw her, the man "jumped up and shouted, 'You'll never know what I was doing!' " according to the suit.

Still, if anything can be said for the little shits it's that they're cluey enough not to publicly wear their obnoxious shit on their sleeves in front of HR!

What kind of evidence is there to back up the claims made in this lawsuit? This is horrifying if it's true, but I think we should reserve our judgment until we see evidence.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2018, 12:18:17 pm »
Hilarious that Lana's asking for a source.

Ironbite-just hilarious.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2018, 12:38:14 pm »
What's really telling is the different levels of evidence that Ultimate Llama requires depending on whether it supports their schtick.

I mean we go from I'm not prepared to rely on sworn depositions, let's see what happens at trial (time for some perry mason motherfucker to get them to crack) from I'm not prepared to discard reliance on documents which have been admittedly altered.

You fucking spoon.

Edit: Also why don't you ask that fucking prawn Damore for a source given it is his MS paint graph you fucking meat puppet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:44:45 pm by davedan »

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »
What's really telling is the different levels of evidence that Ultimate Llama requires depending on whether it supports their schtick.

I mean we go from I'm not prepared to rely on sworn depositions, let's see what happens at trial (time for some perry mason motherfucker to get them to crack) from I'm not prepared to discard reliance on documents which have been admittedly altered.

You fucking spoon.

Edit: Also why don't you ask that fucking prawn Damore for a source given it is his MS paint graph you fucking meat puppet.

How is that inconsistent? In both cases, I was reserving my judgment.

And I will, thank you for the suggestion.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
*flags and whistles*

WE HAVE A FOUL ON THE PLAY!

Ironbite-15 yards, repeat 2nd down.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2018, 02:35:26 am »
Lemme get this straight, Damore claims that Google is actively oppressing it's entire workforce and offers up claims from Wikipedia and blogs dealing with evolutionary biology,  zip to do with Google per se, and that gets the nod from you?

Then a single employee claims that she was oppressed by some shitty individuals within the organisation and this requires a higher standard of proof?

You know there's plenty more instances of large organisations sweeping instances of sexual misconduct under the rug than trying to stop their workforces waxing lyrical about evo devo wholesale!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:38:08 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2018, 02:51:56 am »
Hey, if Lana put in the effort and time to keep those standards straight, she wouldn't be able to have as much sex with Logan Paul!

...Still can't believe she used "this is about ethics in fucking me stupid!" during that sex tape.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2018, 10:41:39 am »
Lemme get this straight, Damore claims that Google is actively oppressing it's entire workforce and offers up claims from Wikipedia and blogs dealing with evolutionary biology,  zip to do with Google per se, and that gets the nod from you?

Then a single employee claims that she was oppressed by some shitty individuals within the organisation and this requires a higher standard of proof?

You know there's plenty more instances of large organisations sweeping instances of sexual misconduct under the rug than trying to stop their workforces waxing lyrical about evo devo wholesale!

Damore has dozens of pages of documentation. I'm not insisting on a "higher standard of proof" for her claims, just asking if there's anything concrete to back them up. Because honestly, I find it difficult to believe that Google is infested with "bro culture." My IT department isn't exactly a cesspit of machismo. Besides, wouldn't bros be more likely to gravitate towards Wall Street than Silicon Valley?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:44:31 am by Lana Reverse »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2018, 04:42:10 pm »
Yeeesh.

Damore's argument against Google was that it had political bias and was authoritarian. It's right there in the introduction.

TL:DR
Google's political bias has equated the freedom from offence with psychological safety, but shaming into silence is the antithesis of psychological safety.
This silencing has created an ideological echo chamber where some ideas are too sacred to be honestly discussed.
The lack of discussion fosters the most extreme and authoritarian elements of this ideology.
Extreme: all disparities in representation are due to oppression
Authoritarian: we should discriminate to correct for this oppression
Differences in distributions of traits between men and women may in part explain why we don't have 50% representation of women in tech and leadership. Discrimination to reach equal representation is unfair, divisive, and bad for business.

Google's left bias has created a politically correct monoculture that maintains its hold by shaming dissenters into silence. This silence removes any checks against encroaching extremist and authoritarian policies. For the rest of this document, I'll concentrate on the extreme stance that all differences in outcome are due to differential treatment and the authoritarian element that's required to actually discriminate to create equal representation

He then makes two specific claims, with references after musing about "Possible non-bias causes of the gender gap in tech, Personality differences" and "Men's higher drive for status" these are as follows:

Programs, mentoring, and classes only for people with a certain gender or race [5]
Setting org level OKRs for increased representation which can incentivise illegal discrimination [6]

The "evidence" for these citations is this mess:

[5] Stretch, BOLD, CSSI, Engineering Practicum (to an extent), and several other Google funded internal and external programs are for people with a certain gender or race.

[6] Instead set Googlegeist OKRs, potentially for certain demographics. We can increase representation at an org level by either making it a better environment for certain groups (which would be seen in survey scores) or discriminating based on a protected status (which is illegal and I've seen it done). Increased representation OKRs can incentivise the latter and create zero-sum struggles between orgs.

"To an extent", what? When did it happen, where? There's a vague claim about something happening "to an extent" and no details and another unsourced claim aping a citation.

So, again we have Damore's claim of mistreatment of an entire swathe of Google's staff based on...who the fuck knows, claiming who the fuck knows vs a specific claim that specific things happened to a specific person at specific times.

But Damore must be right because he has pages of citations from wikipedia, and also blogs for...evolutionary biology. Sounds legit!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2018, 05:07:38 pm »
Yeeesh.

Damore's argument against Google was that it had political bias and was authoritarian. It's right there in the introduction.

TL:DR
Google's political bias has equated the freedom from offence with psychological safety, but shaming into silence is the antithesis of psychological safety.
This silencing has created an ideological echo chamber where some ideas are too sacred to be honestly discussed.
The lack of discussion fosters the most extreme and authoritarian elements of this ideology.
Extreme: all disparities in representation are due to oppression
Authoritarian: we should discriminate to correct for this oppression
Differences in distributions of traits between men and women may in part explain why we don't have 50% representation of women in tech and leadership. Discrimination to reach equal representation is unfair, divisive, and bad for business.

Google's left bias has created a politically correct monoculture that maintains its hold by shaming dissenters into silence. This silence removes any checks against encroaching extremist and authoritarian policies. For the rest of this document, I'll concentrate on the extreme stance that all differences in outcome are due to differential treatment and the authoritarian element that's required to actually discriminate to create equal representation

He then makes two specific claims, with references after musing about "Possible non-bias causes of the gender gap in tech, Personality differences" and "Men's higher drive for status" these are as follows:

Programs, mentoring, and classes only for people with a certain gender or race [5]
Setting org level OKRs for increased representation which can incentivise illegal discrimination [6]

The "evidence" for these citations is this mess:

[5] Stretch, BOLD, CSSI, Engineering Practicum (to an extent), and several other Google funded internal and external programs are for people with a certain gender or race.

[6] Instead set Googlegeist OKRs, potentially for certain demographics. We can increase representation at an org level by either making it a better environment for certain groups (which would be seen in survey scores) or discriminating based on a protected status (which is illegal and I've seen it done). Increased representation OKRs can incentivise the latter and create zero-sum struggles between orgs.

"To an extent", what? When did it happen, where? There's a vague claim about something happening "to an extent" and no details and another unsourced claim aping a citation.

So, again we have Damore's claim of mistreatment of an entire swathe of Google's staff based on...who the fuck knows, claiming who the fuck knows vs a specific claim that specific things happened to a specific person at specific times.

But Damore must be right because he has pages of citations from wikipedia, and also blogs for...evolutionary biology. Sounds legit!

I was talking about his lawsuit.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2018, 06:04:40 pm »
You're presuming his 160 page brief has more substance than his 10 page screed becauase it has more...pages?

Again we have a person alleging a company wide conspiracy against white, male conservatives from a guy with a reputation for bringing spurious nothingburgers and unsourced MS paint splatters to the table vs a suit claiming some employees engaged in workplace bullying against another employee.

Welp, we know which one you'll back.