Author Topic: Google facing multiple lawsuits  (Read 49472 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:31 pm »
God you're adorable.

Ironbite-you really are.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:33 pm »
God you're adorable.

Ironbite-you really are.

Do you have anything of substance to add? Or are you just going to condescend?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »
Yes, you're of the true progressives here to educate us mere mortals about true progressivism-even though it involves discussing dull politics.

When were you going to get back to Murdin's critique  which was actually about science in this alleged science and tech thread?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:05:21 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2017, 12:11:10 am »
Ironbite condescending? After your last response to me? Oh, wow. You're really incapable of self-awareness, aren't you?
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2017, 12:47:14 am »
That fits in with the alt-right's general shtick - they know the real way (it just so happens to involve knowing when, as a good minority, to shut the fuck up when a white man talks, especially if he wants to talk over you) and you're smart so you should be able to accept their ways.

Tied in with this is using Free Speech to cover everything - even or especially when its not really something covered by the first amendment. Someone got fired at their job for shouting "FILTHY JEW!"? Censorship.

That is just how they operate.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2017, 01:33:43 am »
Okay Lana for the sake of this post I'm going to assume you are not Dynamic Dragon/Ultimate Paragon.

This is the thing, you've only expressed support for freedom of speech in situations where it was the alt-right or white guys saying things considered sexist or racist.  You've said nothing about free speech in other contexts, ie Liberty University booting an author for being anti-trump.  https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/4/16597988/liberty-university-anti-trump-author-falwell-jonathan-martin-evangelical

Or when I brought up the issue of gamergate, a movement based on trying to silence feminists who criticize gaming culture, you were non-committal but sympathetic to the pro-censorship side. 

That sounds more like someone out to protect assholes right to be assholes then freedom of speech.

And remember, we all think you are Paragon.  Again, I am assuming for now that you aren't, but try to look at it from our perspective: right after a guy who on previous occasion had been banned and come back on sock puppet accounts had been banned again, and a new member shows up with the same opinions.  I can understand how that is frustrating but it does seem suspect.  And if you were paragon, that means you are someone who has been here for years yelling about Free Speech whenever a white man is called out for being an asshole but silent or openly in favor of alt-rightish types censoring other people.

Davedan said there is no way for you to prove you aren't paragon.  But I will stop and admit I was wrong, if you can show yourself to be someone who takes a consistent stand for free speech instead of only when a white man might be punished for being a jerk.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:35 am »
I already have. Repeatedly. But just so we're clear; I condemn that incident, as well as the time it happened to Julie Bindel. As much as I hate her for being a biphobic, transphobic misandrist, I support her right to have her voice heard. So yeah, it's not just white supremacist troglodytes whose free speech rights I defend.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
No one has the right to have their voice heard. They have the right to free speech but you cannot force others to listen to them and you cannot force people to offer them a place to speak.

So you can make your speech at a public street corner but demanding that a school gives you a lecture hall and force people to sit there quietly and listen to your speech is not a right.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2017, 02:19:53 pm »
Okay we've got two sentences, one written to defend not subject racist white guys to hate speech laws, and a statement you will defend a transphobe.

Yep checks out.  You're not alt-right.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »
I already have. Repeatedly. But just so we're clear; I condemn that incident, as well as the time it happened to Julie Bindel. As much as I hate her for being a biphobic, transphobic misandrist, I support her right to have her voice heard. So yeah, it's not just white supremacist troglodytes whose free speech rights I defend.
DIRECT QUESTION LANA, ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER MURDIN'S CONTENTION THAT DAMORE'S SUPPORTERS ARE USING BUNK SCIENCE AND STATISTICS?

Or are you have you completely given up on the pretense that this thread has anything to do with science or technology?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2017, 03:26:04 pm »
She gave up on that long ago.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2017, 04:05:16 pm »
She gave up on that long ago.
Certainly proves Murdin's thesis that Lana is only interested in science as a cosh to whack their enemies with that gets discarded the moment it becomes inconvenient.

If this facsimile science thread really is about politics I just wish Lana would actually be honest about her political leanings. Say what you will about Contrarian he wears his heart on his sleeve. Lana is more of a "Fox News" liberal who murmurs a few liberal talking points to establish their liberal cred but exists to promote a conservative agenda. Basically, she's Colmes from "Hannity and Colmes."

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »
No one has the right to have their voice heard. They have the right to free speech but you cannot force others to listen to them and you cannot force people to offer them a place to speak.

So you can make your speech at a public street corner but demanding that a school gives you a lecture hall and force people to sit there quietly and listen to your speech is not a right.

Who said anything about forcing people to listen? If you don't want to hear it, you don't have to. What I'm saying is that deplatforming somebody hurts their audience too.

DIRECT QUESTION LANA, ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER MURDIN'S CONTENTION THAT DAMORE'S SUPPORTERS ARE USING BUNK SCIENCE AND STATISTICS?

Or are you have you completely given up on the pretense that this thread has anything to do with science or technology?

I'm going to. But this subject matter has never been my forte. I'm going to read some more material on the topic, and then I'll give my response.

And since you're yelling at me, I'm going to repeat my disagreement with your assertion that Damore is sexist. Then again, I base my stance on what he actually said.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:51 pm »
So do we dippy.

Ironbite-guess you can't understand that.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2017, 05:53:09 pm »
Someone who believes that one race is innately superior at stuff- a racist.
Someone who believes that one gender is innately superior to another-not a sexist, according to Lana.

Ok.