Author Topic: California's Prison Sterilizations  (Read 18668 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: California's Prison Sterilizations
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 03:39:42 am »
Cataclysm's pontifications boil down to a justification of extralegal action against other human beings based on what might happen and what might happen is some women in prison might have babies at some point in their lives, which would be awful.  ::)
It's okay, because sterilization of someone isn't a big deal because it doesn't physically harm you, so it must be completely humane.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 07:00:02 am »

First of all, you really think an invasive, permanent, unreversable surgery is equivalent to being in prison?  Your sense of perspective isn't just buggered, it's non-existent.  The two are in no way equivalent.

Sterilization in no way affects someone's life significantly (or at least it shouldn't), so if anything it's not as bad as prison time. Forcing someone to go to jail is just as invasive, and the time spent there can never get back, making it just as irreversible.

Second of all, prisoners do have rights.  In fact, they should have rights.  Dehumanizing any group of people for any reason is a sign of many terrible things about the person or people doing the dehumanizing.

Throwing them in prison is more dehumanizing, since you're watching them 24/7 and keeping them away from society.

So locking someone up, with food, drink, basic cable, a library, and exrcise equpiment is less dehumanizing than mutilation of ones genetalia? Suuure...

Thirdly, yes, criminals can be good parents.  Does it surprise you?  It shouldn't.  All kinds of people end up criminals for one reason or another.

They can be good parents, but they shouldn't be allowed to adopt kids until they finished probation.

And finally, the biggest problem with the load of horse shit you just spewed into this thread is that the primary purpose of prison is to reform.  Keeping harmful elements out of society is a close secondary purpose.

The secondary purpose is still a purpose.

Let me ask you this - would you support prisons cutting off fingers and toes of the criminals, just because they are criminals?  Would you support them pulling kidneys out of people, leaving them with just one?  How about cutting out eyes, or breaking their eardrums, or any other such thing?

If you said "no" to any of the above, then you are a hypocrite for condoning them doing this, which is just as bad.

People need their eyes and limbs to sense things and get mobility, so it's not comparable to sterilization.

Y'know, it's time I stepped in here.

I'm a criminal.  Got the conviction and everything, back when I was 13.  I've done terrible things in my life.  Tell me, Cata, should I be/have been sterilized against my will?

You were a minor, so no. It also would depend on the severity of the crime. I don't think people who stole a candy bar should be sterilized.

How about the guy that murdered my uncle when I was 7? How about the drunk driver that killed my first girlfriend when I was 12? They deserve to not have kids?

They're violent offenders, so yes.

Who in the name of the darkness do you fucking think you are, shitstain? who are you to say that they deserve to never have kids?

You're the shitstain for saying criminals should be trusted in having children immediately after release.

Do you SERIOUSLY think that there is NO chance for rehabilitation?

Nope, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take precautions.

You? You seem determined to advocate everything from murder to genocide, because they committed a crime.

Lol wut?

My father had been in prison before I was born. As someone who would have never existed if you had your way, I deliver a hearty "Fuck You". In addition to that, my girfriend once told me that she was planning to kill herelf before we started dating. So in addition to depriving the world of my brilliance, you would have her death on your hands.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:09:45 am by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 07:07:02 am »
Wow, what an asshole. 2/10
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 09:02:26 am »
I have no problems with this. If they don't want to be sterilized they shouldn't be committing crimes. It's no bigger a violation of their human rights than locking them in a metal cage for several months or years.
Then let's start talking when the sterilization is court-ordered. Until then, this is completely illegal.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »
I...I don't even know what to do with you, Lexi.  Your argument, such as it is, comes from such a horrifyingly broken base that any attempts to fix it would probably drive most normal people insane.  Thankfully, I'm pretty fucking abnormal, so let's get down to this shit!

First off, child, you've got a history of being a completely reprehensible twat when it comes to basic human rights.  Reproduction is a basic human right, no matter how you want to "argue" your way out of it.  You claim that they should be sterilized, a procedure which is, more times than not, permanent, for the safety and security of any children they might bear/sire.  This is fundamentally flawed for several reasons.

One, criminality is not genetic.  Two, taking a basic right for them would cause psychological damage to a person that's already dealing with or had to deal with an incredibly damaging environment.  Three, there are protections already in place to remove children from toxic environments.  Four, your "suggestion," such as it is, turns the standard of "innocent until proven guilty" on its nose.

You go on to assume, with absolutely no data to back you up, that it wouldn't be invasive to sterilize an unwilling convict.  Your rhetoric is as broken, idiotic, and offensive as those who argue for forced ultrasounds on women who are going to get an abortion.  You are invading their bodies for your own social and/or political gain and some vague "good of the many" disguise that's so paper-thin, its a miracle it isn't transparent.

Let me explain it to you in baby talk, because apparently, Lexi, you can't understand real-person speak: if you make people who do bad things unable to have kids when they don't want to, that makes you a bad person.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:12 pm »
I was wondering, but have we considered the possibility of Caty to just be showing some epic trollzor skillz?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »
Nope.  He's been like this the beginning.  Gets hung up on an incredibly bad idea, and his ego prevents others from getting into that thick skull of his.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
He would make a good libertarian.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »
I once read a book where there was control of reproduction by the state and only the best genetics could breed, it was called "Brave New World".

While criminality may not be genetic, intelligence is. Given that the world is quickly becoming overpopulated with humans and the animals we feed ourselves with should we not be trying to make sure that the maximum number of children have the highest intelligence? Is eugenics unequivocally wrong?

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »
I once read a book where there was control of reproduction by the state and only the best genetics could breed, it was called "Brave New World".

While criminality may not be genetic, intelligence is. Given that the world is quickly becoming overpopulated with humans and the animals we feed ourselves with should we not be trying to make sure that the maximum number of children have the highest intelligence? Is eugenics unequivocally wrong?

Only if it's forced which is the case here. 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 08:42:33 pm »

When it comes at the cost of freedom and civil rights, yes.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »
Oh I'd love it if all of us were sterile unless we reaaaaaaaally want kids.  Like super really.  And are ready.  And willing.

Ironbite-gods could you imagine how much better this world would be?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
Except having children should they choose to.  A choice that gets taken away from them.

They still can have children, just not biologically.

Gee, I dunno, let me make a life-changing and permanent decision for you, without your consent, and without your say, and let me see how well you adjust to life.

So you think we shouldn’t send criminals to prison then?

Your comparison of sterilization to the removal of limbs is completely based on emotion and the irrational value this culture places on having biological children.

Actually, by definition of the latter half of your statement, I AM showing regard for the sanctity of other human beings.  You're just spouting nonsense now.

Sure, you think children less well off then they should be, that’s so regarding ::)

Which benefit the child, and therefore are not comparable to an invasive procedure that removes a person's bodily function without their consent at no benefit to them.

If children raised by criminals in a certain time-frame are on average worse off than children who are not, then forced sterilization would be justified, since it is beneficial to society. If they are no worse off, then it wouldn't be justified.

And it’s the same things with prisons. If criminals are as likely or less likely to commit further crimes if they aren't sent to prison, and just have to take rehabilitation classes, or go through another program, then prisons wouldn't be justified.

First off, child, you've got a history of being a completely reprehensible twat when it comes to basic human rights.  Reproduction is a basic human right, no matter how you want to "argue" your way out of it.

Raising children is a responsibility, not a right.

Four, your "suggestion," such as it is, turns the standard of "innocent until proven guilty" on its nose.

They are guilty.

You go on to assume, with absolutely no data to back you up, that it wouldn't be invasive to sterilize an unwilling convict.

My position that forced sterilization isn't any more invasive than prison time, not that's it's not invasive at all.

Your rhetoric is as broken, idiotic, and offensive as those who argue for forced ultrasounds on women who are going to get an abortion.

Except women getting the abortions they want is an inherently good thing, while leaving criminals fertile isn't. If there's statistics and studies that show otherwise, show me.

Then let's start talking when the sterilization is court-ordered. Until then, this is completely illegal.

Most of the arguments against this stem from morality instead of legality, so those are the arguments that should be addressed.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »
Since I don't remember if you've addressed this before, and frankly I'm not inclined to wade through the wharrgble, can you tell us, Cataclysm, what specific crimes should justify sterilization? And how would you address the fact that false convictions happen when implementing this program?

Just to play devil's advocate, I can see eugenics becoming an effective way to control crime because it would target the genes rather than the person; the urge to reproduce and pass our genes on is one of our strongest instincts. Many people who would happily do prison time would hesitate, at least, if they knew they ran the risk of losing their ability to have children. Any such effort would take years to show any sort of effect, though.

BUT...and this is the biggest BUT since Fat Albert's mother's...we don't currently have any way to guarantee, beyond any possibility of doubt, that a conviction is correct; the Innocence Project shows that. Even DNA evidence can be tainted or misinterpreted or processed incorrectly; I read about one case where a man was accused of rape and the DNA evidence seemed to back it up. It turned out, however, that the lab had done the analysis incorrectly, so the mixture of the rapist's semen and the woman's vaginal mucus came up as a match to the man accused; when the tests were redone correctly, they showed clearly that the semen collected in the rape kit did not come from the man accused. A billions-to-one chance, but NOT outside the realm of possibility.

Since our justice system only calls for conviction beyond a REASONABLE doubt, not beyond ANY POSSIBILITY of doubt, then we tacitly acknowledge the fact that the justice system makes mistakes; this is also why I'm against the death penalty. What would you recommend happen, Cataclysm, if someone wrongfully convicted were sterilized?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 09:53:07 pm »
Just to play devil's advocate, I can see eugenics becoming an effective way to control crime because it would target the genes rather than the person; the urge to reproduce and pass our genes on is one of our strongest instincts. Many people who would happily do prison time would hesitate, at least, if they knew they ran the risk of losing their ability to have children. Any such effort would take years to show any sort of effect, though.
Well 1. There's no evidence that genes themselves cause crime.
2. Raping and torturing them would also deter crime.