Author Topic: Fairly substantial massacre in Egypt.  (Read 31450 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: Fairly substantial massacre in Egypt.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »
Oh shit!

This is not good...

(my actual verbal reaction upon coming into the gym and seeing CNN on the TV with the words "200+ dead")
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »
"Move along, folks.  Nuthin' to see here.  Politics in the Mid-East, folks.  Nuthin' to see.  Move along, please."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »
Meh, business as usual in the Middle East, Egypt in particular. I daresay that power is given sustenance by blood in Egypt. We're not going to see that change any time soon.

We may abhor Might Makes Right, but perhaps that is the only Right many people have ever known.

Perhaps.

All I can say is that I have decided which evil I support. I am not saying which.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:30:22 pm »
At this point, I almost would prefer the first world nations marching in and taking complete control of the Middle East. Not forever, but at least until everyone living there now is dead of old age. They've proven themselves unable to handle freedom and independence at all, so it should be taken, just like any criminals'. Sure, there's good people, but they'll just be oppressed and murdered by the people with power, so, fuck you, Middle East.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 07:56:38 pm »
Oh yes because that's worked so well in the past.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 08:15:00 pm »
At this point, I almost would prefer the first world nations marching in and taking complete control of the Middle East. Not forever, but at least until everyone living there now is dead of old age. They've proven themselves unable to handle freedom and independence at all, so it should be taken, just like any criminals'. Sure, there's good people, but they'll just be oppressed and murdered by the people with power, so, fuck you, Middle East.

I don't see how spending a couple generations under foreign control is supposed to prepare them for independence.
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 08:22:10 pm »

I don't see how spending a couple generations under foreign control is supposed to prepare them for independence.
Build a quality school system, water, farming, industry and generally improve things. Use the new power to wipe out the Taliban. Force gender equality on them, because I don't give a shit if they like it or not, and anyone who cares about women would agree.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »
YES BECAUSE FORCED CHANGE IS ALWAYS LASTING CHANGE!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 08:53:34 pm »
YES BECAUSE FORCED CHANGE IS ALWAYS LASTING CHANGE!
And no change is change, right? Forced change does sometimes last, and sometimes, for the better. I doubt anyone would say France should go back to pre-revolution monarchy. I doubt anyone would suggest the Germany or Japan should return to being militaristic. The idea is, actually improve things for them, grant them first world level living conditions, quality modern medicine, education, equality and society. Wait until the only generations alive are those that have always lived under it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09:03 pm »
Oh piss off. Have you any idea how expensive it's been, in terms of both money and lives, to hold just Afghanistan and Iraq? Try to invade and occupy the entire Middle East and we'll all end up like Greece within a week.

My own country only recently got out of the money sinkhole that was Iraq. Personally, I'd rather keep it that way.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 10:47:51 pm »
Oh yay, the white man's burden strikes again! I'm sure it'll work out just as well as it did in the past.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »
Oh piss off. Have you any idea how expensive it's been, in terms of both money and lives, to hold just Afghanistan and Iraq? Try to invade and occupy the entire Middle East and we'll all end up like Greece within a week.

My own country only recently got out of the money sinkhole that was Iraq. Personally, I'd rather keep it that way.
I'd support it as a UN effort, not 'Murica.

Oh yay, the white man's burden strikes again! I'm sure it'll work out just as well as it did in the past.
More like, "Could we, oh, idk, perhaps help out instead of just shipping shit there and praying that works?"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »
And where would the troops and funding ultimately come from?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 11:04:46 pm »
And where would the troops and funding ultimately come from?
It wouldn't be American-controlled, though, but UN. And at least we'd be doing something good with our insane amount of military spending. I can't imagine most members here support theocracies, oppressive dictatorships and the general insanity that is the Middle East.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »
More like, "Could we, oh, idk, perhaps help out instead of just shipping shit there and praying that works?"
Yeah, no.

What you're arguing was the same argument that the European countries used to justify colonialism. Taking control of countries and continents because the natives can't do it properly. It worked ever so well, and totally didn't lead to issues that are still going on now, hundreds of years later.