Author Topic: Voyager 1  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Voyager 1
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:37:24 am »
The first man made object has officially left the Solar System!

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/09/13/nasas-voyager-exits-solar-system
However, US space agency scientists now agree that Voyager is officially outside the protective bubble known as the heliosphere that extends at least 13 billion kilometre beyond all the planets in our solar system, and has entered a cold, dark region known as interstellar space.

Their findings - which describe the conditions that show Voyager actually left the solar system in August 2012 - are published in the US journal Science.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/18906308/voyager-1-leaves-solar-system/

Last year, scientists monitoring Voyager 1 noticed strange happenings that suggested the spacecraft had broken through: Charged particles streaming from the sun suddenly vanished. Also, there was a spike in galactic cosmic rays bursting in from the outside.

Since there was no detectable change in the direction of the magnetic field lines, the team assumed the far-flung craft was still in the heliosphere, or the vast bubble of charged particles around the sun.

The Voyager team patiently waited for a change in magnetic field direction — thought to be the telltale sign of a cosmic border crossing.

But in the meantime, a chance solar eruption that shook Voyager I last spring provided the scientists with the data they needed, convincing them the boundary had been crossed in August of last year.

With the new data, "it took us 10 seconds to realize we were in interstellar space," said Don Gurnett, a Voyager scientist at the University of Iowa who led the new research, published o
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Voyager 1
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:16:30 am »
Long Distance Voyager.

Godspeed, giver of knowledge.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 02:02:04 am »
The first man made object has officially left the Solar System!
The first that we know of...

*Put's on a tinfoil hat*
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:54 am »

http://xkcd.com/1189/ Title Text: So far Voyager 1 has 'left the Solar System' by passing through the termination shock three times, the heliopause twice, and once each through the heliosheath, heliosphere, heliodrome, auroral discontinuity, Heaviside layer, trans-Neptunian panic zone, magnetogap, US Census Bureau Solar System statistical boundary, Kuiper gauntlet, Oort void, and crystal sphere holding the fixed stars.

The comic was published on March 22.

So.. yeah.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:33 am »

http://xkcd.com/1189/ Title Text: So far Voyager 1 has 'left the Solar System' by passing through the termination shock three times, the heliopause twice, and once each through the heliosheath, heliosphere, heliodrome, auroral discontinuity, Heaviside layer, trans-Neptunian panic zone, magnetogap, US Census Bureau Solar System statistical boundary, Kuiper gauntlet, Oort void, and crystal sphere holding the fixed stars.

The comic was published on March 22.

So.. yeah.

Are there any more things it can do that count as leaving the solar system or is that it?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:37:41 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAZWb9_si4&feature=youtu.be

NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft captured these sounds of interstellar space. Voyager 1's plasma wave instrument detected the vibrations of dense interstellar plasma, or ionized gas, from October to November 2012 and April to May 2013.

The sounds are kinda creepy tho.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:47:47 am »
Am I the only one who is suprised it only took 36 years?  I honestly though it would've taken even longer.  The solar system is smaller than I thought (tho obviously still huuuuuuuuuuuge).

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:33 am »
Also, stupid question - what is Voyager 1 actually detecting?  Vibrations don't travel through a vaccum (or at least sounds don't and sounds are just vibrations so I assume all vibrations don't travel in a vaccum), so is it radio waves or something it picks up?

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:48:44 am »
It ain't a perfect vacuum out there. Interstellar space is filled by very very sparse gas.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 11:09:36 am »
It ain't a perfect vacuum out there. Interstellar space is filled by very very sparse gas.

Ah yes, of course.  Thanks.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:42 pm »
Not to mention the dark matter.  Lots of things out there make sounds on many different wavelengths.  It's a concert, maaaaan... *Lights up*

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »
I think the instruments on Voyager are interpreting the ionized particle mass vibrations as if it were sound, based on the wave frequency interpreted into Hertz (audible).
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 04:42:34 pm »
The youtube link does have the explanation for it, by the way... Which I quoted part of.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 05:20:21 pm »
It once took me 36 years to get around to trimming the front hedges.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »
It once took me 36 years to get around to trimming the front hedges.

Were they even hedges at that point? ;D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet