Author Topic: Skills and talents  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Skills and talents
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:35 am »
Perhaps, if we're really going to try and make this work, we should compile a list of what we, as a forum, have in regards to related skills that we can bring to the table. Instead of having to hunt peoples' talents down through each separate thread, let's list what we can do here. That way, we'll also see if there are any additional skills we'd need to acquire to make this work.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm primarily a musician. Guitar and bass mostly, though I also write drum parts, and occasionally piano (though I cannot play either). If any of our projects needs music, I will gladly volunteer these services to the best of my ability.

Additionally, I've been writing for a music blog, Creative Edge Music, since March. I go under the name "C_Hicke" there, but I'll link what I've contributed thus far for anyone interested. One Two Three Four Five Six.
On a related note, I am open to editing/proofreading as time allows.

I am also taking several college courses this semester/year that will be relevant to much of what we are discussing. I'll be learning Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Pro Tools, InDesign, and Flash, and will begin experimenting with the actual recording process once I have the necessary software and hardware to do so. I would love to incorporate some part of FQA's budding content into school assignments, provided my work meets whatever quality controls we settle on.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Skills and talents
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:34:10 am »
I can draw, I'm good with Photoshop and Illustrator, and I'm a reasonably good writer.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:47:30 am »
I also can draw somewhat, but only with pen and paper and if I can get my photoshop back up and get the brushes that I lost, I can touch up photos but have no idea on how to make vector graphics.

Also, I can write and I have a question, what about those here on the board that are spiritual, pagan, New Age etc? Can there be articles talking about their faiths/spiritual paths? I'm asking this as I am a Muslim and would like to write some articles about Islam both positive and negative.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:50 am »
I too can draw but they're mostly sketches right now.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:59:42 am »
Apparently I'm very good at writing emotional pieces.  Speeches and editorials, mostly.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:48 am »
Lithping.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:33:03 am »
Writing. Mostly fiction but I've done technical pieces such as reviews and the like. I can also edit and help with fact checking.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:34:36 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:08:12 am »
Writing both fictional and non-fictional (so long as I'm interested in what I'm writing).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:10:14 am »
I'm told I'm a good writer, but I'm not sure what topics I would write about. I mostly do fiction, and most of my knowledge has to do with Paganism and the paranormal (which few on this board believe in, so I don't know if any articles I wrote on those subjects would be welcome here or not).

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:42 am »
I'm told I'm a good writer, but I'm not sure what topics I would write about. I mostly do fiction, and most of my knowledge has to do with Paganism and the paranormal (which few on this board believe in, so I don't know if any articles I wrote on those subjects would be welcome here or not).
I'd like to read articles from our members of different faiths on stuff from their religion that has good usage in any lifestyle. Like, things from Paganism/Christianity/Islam/whatever you can apply to your life even if you're not religious.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:17 am »
Also, I can write and I have a question, what about those here on the board that are spiritual, pagan, New Age etc? Can there be articles talking about their faiths/spiritual paths? I'm asking this as I am a Muslim and would like to write some articles about Islam both positive and negative.
Topics may warrant its own thread, but I don't personally see a problem with it. Just because most of us are vile heathens doesn't mean we can't have a religion section. We may want to have any rules regarding flaming/insults/etc. enforced rather stringently for that topic.

Hell, covering the times religion gets it right (as opposed to only railing on it every time it fucks up) could be to our benefit; have us look a little less biased, and perhaps press the notion that actions are more important than faith.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:10 am »
I'm a paleontology student. I can write about things related to that field, as well as evolutionary/scientific stuff in general.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 12:20:43 pm »
Writing, drawing, photomanipulation, I know a lot about animals in general (my favorite subjects are probably cats, insects and spiders (and kin),deep ocean life, and reptiles).  I'm also decently versed in general Life and Earth sciences.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:26:00 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 12:47:23 pm »
I can write, though I have trouble coming up with ideas.

I know something about biology, and a little about computers, and I am interested in the history of science.

I think a "Common misconceptions" series  re various minority faiths would be interesting and useful, and I think a Muslim perspective on news stories from Muslim countries would be a good thing.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 12:48:11 pm »
Bio student here. I can help contribute to any articles about biology in general and evolution in particular. Also have access to tons of scientific journals and databases through my university, so I can find scientific articles about almost anything if people need them.