Author Topic: Tennessee gets even more stupid  (Read 11764 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Tennessee gets even more stupid
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »
GOP Tennessee state Rep. Richard Floyd is so upset about Macy's, he's introduced a bill that would ban transgender people from using public restrooms and fitting rooms.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClAvYlXd0Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClAvYlXd0Y</a>

http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com/2012/01/tennessee-state-gop-rep-pushes-bill-to.html
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
Re: Tennessee gets even more stupid
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »
WTF?
I admit I get confused dealing with transgendered people. If I smell female, i think female, and if said person is wearing a tennsor bandage across their chest, yeah I might clue in and realize that its a man who just happens to have female genital parts... but sometimes I miss the clue, and blunder badly. 
Same with women who have male genitalia... Yes I can screw up and say "he" instead of "she" if she isnt dressed in obviously female clothes... but thats my shortcoming. Yeah I need obvious clues to help me keep track, and when I screw up I try to fix it somehow.

This waffle wants to be a dick about it.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 04:22:16 pm »
WTF?
I admit I get confused dealing with transgendered people. If I smell female, i think female, and if said person is wearing a tennsor bandage across their chest, yeah I might clue in and realize that its a man who just happens to have female genital parts... but sometimes I miss the clue, and blunder badly. 
Same with women who have male genitalia... Yes I can screw up and say "he" instead of "she" if she isnt dressed in obviously female clothes... but thats my shortcoming. Yeah I need obvious clues to help me keep track, and when I screw up I try to fix it somehow.

This waffle wants to be a dick about it.

Speaking for myself this is not a problem. People will make mistakes, I usually just politely correct them and think nothing of it. People can generally tell the difference between mistakes and malice.

I really feel bad for this (trans)girl in Texas though. She was just going shopping with her friends and next thing she knows shes being mocked by WND and Fox and is now being used to justify discrimination in Tennessee.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »
Such is the nature of the human garbage that is the current GOP. And all their fucked up supporters.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:31:20 pm »
It's one thing to get confused, and a good idea to have a public conversation about how to adapt to changing ideas of gender, but this sort of thing is NOT the way to go about it.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
I don't care for what reason, how depraved their mind is, how perverted their mind is, or for what reason they think a man has a right to go into a women's bathroom, or dressing room to try on clothes

More seperate but equal crap conservatives have been pushing to instill their societal expectations on everyone.

Also, Irony.

“I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry (Hate speech). Don’t ask me to adjust to their perverted way of thinking and put my family at risk (ROTFLOL),” he said. “We cannot continue to let these people dominate how society acts and reacts.

Oh, like you're doing right now, douchebag.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:47:16 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:10:40 pm »
It just occurred to me: Don't most dressing rooms have doors? Granted, they often don't give you as much privacy as you'd like, but it's not like everyone's just getting undressed in front of each other. You walk into the dressing room fully clothed, you walk out fully clothed in something else. Even if we accept the notion that it's bad for trans women and cys women to undress around each other, as long as they're using the dressing rooms the way they're intended, nobody's seeing anyone naked anyway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:13:46 pm by JohnE »

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »
Like this bit:

His proposed bill would require a birth certificate to prove which restroom a person would be required to use.

Oh, joy. I always wanted to have to carry documentation just to use the restroom!

It just occurred to me: Don't most dressing rooms have doors? Granted, they often don't give you as much privacy as you'd like, but it's not like everyone's just getting undressed in front of each other. You walk into the dressing room fully clothed, you walk out fully clothed in something else. Even if we accept the notion that it's bad for trans women and cys women to undress around each other, as long as they're using the dressing rooms the way they're intended, nobody's seeing anyone naked anyway.
Yeah, I never really understood the degree of dressing room segregation that we have.
-A Pen Name

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 06:32:28 pm »
I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry

How the fuck do we let congressmen get away with such blatant call of violence?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »
Like this bit:

His proposed bill would require a birth certificate to prove which restroom a person would be required to use.

Oh, joy. I always wanted to have to carry documentation just to use the restroom!

And he plans on eforcing that how?
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »
Honestly, I feel this is a whole non-issue. There are family restrooms, right? What's the big deal? As long as everyone keeps to their own stalls and don't try to peak between the wall and the door, who cares?

It's the same thing with the douche bag and the changing rooms. This man/woman/whatever they want to be called is going into another stall. Your wife or daughter is in another stall. What's the big deal?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »
My solution to this would be to make all restrooms unigender.  That means men AND women can go in either.

And also, remove urinals and replace them with actual toilets.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »
No, making them unigender (with stalls) can be dangerous because rapists. You can make unisex bathrooms if they're the individual kind (the ones that are a single room with a toilet and sink), but those are impractical in places with large traffic flow.

What I don't get is why they're making a fuss at all. Dressing rooms usually have walls all the way down to the floor for precisely this reason, so there's no danger, and if it's a ciswoman or a transwoman sneaking peaks at someone changing, it's because they're perverted assholes, not because they have certain genitalia.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »
My solution to this would be to make all restrooms unigender.  That means men AND women can go in either.

And also, remove urinals and replace them with actual toilets.

Or we could make urinals that have a seat, but don't use as much water and put a sign saying not to crap into it.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »
No, making them unigender (with stalls) can be dangerous because rapists.

Has that really been a problem with places where unisex bathrooms are popular?