Author Topic: No More Aborted Fetuses in Your Food  (Read 7637 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
No More Aborted Fetuses in Your Food
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:23 pm »
A Republican state senator in Oklahoma has introduced a bill banning aborted human fetuses in food, despite the fact that there are no known foods or food products that actually contain aborted fetuses.

Sen. Ralph Shortey of Oklahoma City introduced on Tuesday Senate Bill 1418, which prohibits "the sale or manufacture of food or products which contain aborted human fetuses." He says he based the bill on an article he read online about an anti-abortion group boycotting companies that allegedly use embryonic stem cells to research and develop artificial sweeteners.

“People are thinking that this has to do with fetuses being chopped up and put in our burritos,” Shortey told NewsOK. "“That's not the case. It's beyond that.

“There are companies that are using embryonic stem cells to research and basically cause a chemical reaction to determine whether or not something tastes good or not,” he said. “As a pro-life advocate, it kind of disturbed me that we would use aborted embryos or aborted human fetuses to extract stem cells and use them for research to basically make things taste better.”

PepsiCo did partner with food product development company Senomyx to develop a new low-calorie sweetener, but the company denied using fetal tissue in its research in an April 2011 email to Children of God for Life.

"Unfortunately, there is some misinformation being circulated related to research techniques that have been used for decades by universities, hospitals, government agencies, and private companies around the world. These claims are meant to suggest that human fetal tissue is somehow used in our research," wrote Margaret Corsi, a spokesperson for PepsiCo. "That is both inaccurate and something we would never do or even consider. It also is inaccurate to suggest that tissue or cells somehow are being used as product ingredients. That’s dangerous, unethical and against the law. Every ingredient in every one of our products is reviewed and approved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/ralph-shortley-oklahoma-aborted-fetuses-food_n_1230414.html

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: No More Aborted Fetuses in Your Food
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:29 pm »
Who the fuck would think that there's the need fo-

-Oh.  It's Oklahoma.  *mega facepalm*
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
I'm sorry....what?

This guy can't be serious...

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »
Mmmmm.... stem cells *drools*
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:42:28 pm »
This is about as dumb as that Australian lawmaker who tried to ban dihydrogen monoxide.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »
I notice that he admits that this whole law is based on a single article he read.  It doesn't sound like he did any research on his own.  Also, from the way this article is worded, this bill won't actually stop what he's disturbed by.  It says that it'll ban fetuses from being present in food products, but as the article states, there are no food products that actually contain fetuses.  Even if what he says is true, they're only being used for research.  So, if the bill is for a ban on fetuses in food, how exactly will it stop the research?  Unless he means "in food" to mean "in the food industry."

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:11 pm »
This reminds me of that sick article someone was passing around a place I worked at claiming abortion would lead to legal organ harvesting from cloned babies.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:10:17 pm »
They do know Soylent Green was just a movie, right?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
Why the hell would any food company go through all the difficulty and expense of creating an elaborate fetal stem cell system for testing whether food tastes good when they could just, you know, taste it?

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
Why the hell would any food company go through all the difficulty and expense of creating an elaborate fetal stem cell system for testing whether food tastes good when they could just, you know, taste it?
I am guessing some of the taste receptor stuff is part of a search for a mechanical way to taste test the food without it having to be consumed or thrown out. ‘Caues they can’t sell food another person has put their tongue on.
-A Pen Name

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »
Wasn't there an FSTDT entry about some soft drink that contained fetuses?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »
This reminds me of that sick article someone was passing around a place I worked at claiming abortion would lead to legal organ harvesting from cloned babies.

As long as you find a way to clone the body without the brain then I don't see what would be wrong with it. You could clone an anencephalic baby, which has no brain, only a brain stem, and hence no consciousness.

EDIT: By the way, as an Oklahoman I'm embarrassed by my state again, almost as much as us having a law in the top 100 submissions.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:02:34 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:15:59 pm »
Wasn't there an FSTDT entry about some soft drink that contained fetuses?
Yeah. Sounds like it was spurred by the same article that inspired this piece of shit. They both mentioned Pepsi.
-A Pen Name

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:23:51 pm »
As long as you find a way to clone the body without the brain then I don't see what would be wrong with it. You could clone an anencephalic baby, which has no brain, only a brain stem, and hence no consciousness.

I know this is off-topic, but that's an interesting idea. Since an anencephalic baby isn't conscious, you technically could harvest its organs for other uses.

inb4 pro-lifers say that I just proved them right
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »
I am guessing some of the taste receptor stuff is part of a search for a mechanical way to taste test the food without it having to be consumed or thrown out. ‘Caues they can’t sell food another person has put their tongue on.
You don't sell the stuff that is created directly by the R&D people. If anybody is going to be tasting it, it'll be the people in quality assurance, likely when they have to grab samples for other uses anyway*. So, there's not really anything to be gained from some bioengineered taste test rig.

*Personal experience time, I worked QA for two different food companies and something like this would have accomplished nothing at either. At the juice factory I did taste it, but the juice I tasted was also subjected to chemical and physical tests and was discarded after them. At the produce factory we didn't ever taste the food and if we did it would probably have been from when we took samples for micro testing and those were also thrown away when we were finished.

I know this is off-topic, but that's an interesting idea. Since an anencephalic baby isn't conscious, you technically could harvest its organs for other uses.

inb4 pro-lifers say that I just proved them right
I'd rather just grow the organs sans the rest of the body.