Author Topic: Dad beating his kids with electrical cable - commenters are insane.  (Read 7380 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Re: Dad beating his kids with electrical cable - commenters are insane.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 12:37:48 am »

Also I found a video on Youtube of what the girls were doing before they were punished and quite honestly, if I had a daughter or daughters and I caught them "twerking" and uploading it up on the INTERNET, I would probably whip them myself. This twerk dance is highly sexually suggestive and these girls had no business doing it to upload to the Internet:

They clearly thought it was hilarious. Hell, if they're anything at all like the (usually black) girls dancing around the nightclubs I've been to (not to mention EVERY school dance I attended from junior high on...) it's just the same dance that everyone does (if you're cool). Their parents should have taught them appropriate behavior and so on (especially where the internet is concerned!) way before this, and leaving welts and open wounds on their legs is no substitute for so doing.

(and apparently the 'real reason' for the beating is that they snuck out of the house. Well, if that's what passes for family discipline then no shit Sherlock, of course they're going to sneak!)
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »
I am not entirely against corporal punishment of children. I think that an occasional smack on the bum, particularly when the child is young to prevent them hurting themselves or others can be appropriate. However you should never use anything other than an open hand or strike anywhere other than the bottom (no face etc). 

But once the child is old enough to be communicated with, as these girls clearly were given they could use the internet and film themselves etc, you should no longer resort to corporal punishment.

Certainly in no circumstances at any time should you strike your child (or anyones) with a belt, wire, strap, cane or any other such thing. If you do it is pretty clear that you aren't trying to discipline you are trying to hurt.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 08:13:12 pm »

Also I found a video on Youtube of what the girls were doing before they were punished and quite honestly, if I had a daughter or daughters and I caught them "twerking" and uploading it up on the INTERNET, I would probably whip them myself. This twerk dance is highly sexually suggestive and these girls had no business doing it to upload to the Internet:

They clearly thought it was hilarious. Hell, if they're anything at all like the (usually black) girls dancing around the nightclubs I've been to (not to mention EVERY school dance I attended from junior high on...) it's just the same dance that everyone does (if you're cool). Their parents should have taught them appropriate behavior and so on (especially where the internet is concerned!) way before this, and leaving welts and open wounds on their legs is no substitute for so doing.

(and apparently the 'real reason' for the beating is that they snuck out of the house. Well, if that's what passes for family discipline then no shit Sherlock, of course they're going to sneak!)

I agree with this, since twerking is pretty common for teenagers to do. Even if it weren't it wouldn't be a reason to punish them like that. Just explain why it's wrong, because X,Y, and Z.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 09:34:06 am »
I have a few thoughts I'd like to share with the group. Most of this is just my personal beliefs, so feel free to disagree.

First of all, I have always felt Daddy isn't just a title I got at the hospital when Mrs. Rookie gave birth to a child. It's a very demanding 24/7 job that I will be doing until eventually I keel over (or even beyond if I do it right). You have to work at being a good parent every day, just sharing (or providing) a roof isn't enough. And the job starts a few months before birth. You can't be distant and then years later decide you want to be Daddy and respected and all.

I don't spank. I was spanked as a child a few times, but I don't spank mine for a few reasons. First and foremost, I believe my hands should be about love and not anger. Second, I think I am doing a pretty good job without spanking because my kids (all five of them when you adjust for ages) are pretty well behaved. When they do good, I praise them. Actually, I praise them in front of other siblings and grown-ups. Things they do wrong, I'll pull them aside and explain what it was and why. I don't spank but I do punish. The offending child might have to sit in a chair and watch the other siblings play. I've donated toys that weren't cleaned up. Things like that. It comes from taking the time to get to know the kids individually, learning what motivates them and what they respond to.

Something I realized quickly was not every hill is worth dying for. My kids, all, five of them, are different. They are different from me, Mrs. Rookie, and from each other. Each has their own unique tastes, likes, dislikes, well you know. I learned that sometimes you just have to let them be them. They have that freedom. And I've found that because they have age appropriate control over a decent portion of their day, they are a lot more willing to follow the rules. My three year old wants to go around the house in a swimsuit, leggings, tutu, and fairy wings. Whatever. But she knows she's changing before we go anywhere.

People brought up a smack on a bum or slap on a wrist to stop harmful behavior (running into the street, going after a hot pan on the stove). I think you really can't compare that to spanking. Spanking is a punishment for past behavior. The swat or slap is almost a gut reaction to prevent future behavior. The times I have slapped my kids' hands away from electrical outlets or hot stoves, I did it before I realized I did it. It was about moving the hand away from danger as quickly as possible rather than punishing.

But anyways, I do these things and more in the hopes that if I did (am doing) my job right, I won't be in this position later in life. That my kids will know what is acceptable behavior and where the line is. And, just as importantly, why the line is there inthe first place.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.