Author Topic: Remove all metal items before going to MR scan  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Remove all metal items before going to MR scan
« on: October 07, 2014, 01:36:54 am »
Demonstrational video explains the dangers of bringin metal items to MR Imaging enviroment:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg</a>

An article from American Journal of Roentgenology concerning an actual case of someone with a metal item in MR: http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/ajr.178.5.1781092

In this particular case that metal item happened to be a .45ACP pistol. 'MURRICA STRONG!!! RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!!! RAARHG!!!

Because you should never surrender your second amendment rights when it puts other people in danger.

(click to show/hide)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Remove all metal items before going to MR scan
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:06:49 am »
Wow, that's ridiculous. I have an MRI roughly every year, and restrictions have gotten even tighter recently. I used to be allowed to wear my normal clothes for the procedure, but now they force me to change into a hospital gown. They also freaked out at me one time because they thought I might be pregnant (all I said was that I hadn't had a period lately, because birth control does that). They're careful as hell.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
Do they realize those machines probably cost close to $100?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:31:19 pm »
Wow, that's ridiculous. I have an MRI roughly every year, and restrictions have gotten even tighter recently. I used to be allowed to wear my normal clothes for the procedure, but now they force me to change into a hospital gown. They also freaked out at me one time because they thought I might be pregnant (all I said was that I hadn't had a period lately, because birth control does that). They're careful as hell.

Well, I guess they don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:42:18 pm »

You, uh, might be missing a zero or two in there.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43:22 pm »
Uh... YEAH! I thought this was common fucking knowledge! MRI's use incredible magnetic fields! DUH!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:48:33 pm »
People with dodgy tattoos can't even get mris. When I got an MRI I was asked where I got mine
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:52:57 pm »

You, uh, might be missing a zero or two in there.

He said close. Not how close.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:19:10 pm »
Yup. I got kicked out of a MRI room because I had a bismuth bandage patch over a 2nd degree burn. Bismuth is a metallic element.

It took a good two weeks to get another appointment.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:11 pm »
Interesting. When people think "metal near magnets", they're usually thinking of ferromagnetic stuff (iron and iron alloys like steel being the most common example), which has a very strong response to magnetic fields. Bismuth is diamagnetic, which means that it's repelled by magnets rather than attracted to them, and that this response is, relatively speaking, very weak (for reference, water is diamagnetic. Not as much as bismuth, but still).

My point being that, metallic or not, bismuth is not going to react to the MRI like something made of steel would. Maybe its high diamagnetism means you get bad results or something.
Σא

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:49 pm »
Or, being repelled from the sides, would either lift and/or tear through (if on side nearest magnet) whatever limb/part of your torso it was attached to.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 12:36:58 am »
Or, being repelled from the sides, would either lift and/or tear through (if on side nearest magnet) whatever limb/part of your torso it was attached to.

Depends on the relative strength of everything. It's perfectly possible that any repelling strong enough to move the limb the bandage is attached to would simply tear the bandage off. And it could only go through the body if it was already dense or sharp enough to do so simply by being pushed hard enough (and cloth bandages with minor amounts of metal aren't exactly heavy weights).
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 12:58:58 am »
Fair enough. It was just a guess based on what ferromagnetic things would di if pushed into the opposite direction.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »

The key thing is that diamagnetic effects are much weaker than ferro- ones, and even a strongly diamagnetic material like bismuth should only result in very weak forces. But it's not like I've done the math on it, so don't take my word for it.
Σא