Author Topic: The next level of malware is here  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
The next level of malware is here
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »
Link

There is this nasty piece of "ransomware" floating around called "CryptoLocker", which encrypts your files and then demands 300$ be paid for the key to unencrypt them. If you don't pay in 72 hours, you don't get the key and your files are lost. Even better, paying "them" actually works, meaning whomever designed this is turning a tidy profit.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: The next level of malware is here
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:12 pm »
It amuses me that ransomware has been around for a while. My favorite is when it claims the FBI has locked your files from you.

I really wish there was more education about this. It's not exactly easy to get infected if you know what you're doing on the ol' internets.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
It amuses me that ransomware has been around for a while. My favorite is when it claims the FBI has locked your files from you.

I really wish there was more education about this. It's not exactly easy to get infected if you know what you're doing on the ol' internets.

My computer I used at Vo-tech got that multiple times somehow. The best part is how non-legit the whole thing comes off as. Yeah, people totally are going to believe they are in trouble for that CP they never looked at and "copyright*". Then It says to go to walmart and buy a prepaid card to give them. Sure, seems totally legit. The FBI/CIA/NSA are totally gonna let you off the hook if you give them a prepaid card.

*It didn't say "violating copyright" it just said your computer was locked up because you had done copyright.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:18 am »
My boss downloaded that one. It spread to half a dozen servers.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:20:12 am »
Doesn't work on Linux, of course :D
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:38:58 am »

How pointy is your boss' hair?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:43:35 am »

How pointy is your boss' hair?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!