Author Topic: The Dumbest Generation: A short book review  (Read 3256 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
The Dumbest Generation: A short book review
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you a train wreck! The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future. By Mark Bauerlein a professor of English at Emory University and has worked as a Director of Research and Analysis at the National Endowment for the Arts. He tried to take Something Awful’s joke “The internet makes you stupid” and use it as a premise for research. Unless his book and associated research are a joke, he failed miserably.

I want you to remember that he worked as a Director of Research and Analysis at the National Endowment for the Arts as you read this review or the book. If this is indicative of any of his work, he was in no way qualified for the position.

OH GOD the Prologue

The entire contents of pages one through six are a false dichotomy. I am not joking about this, stereotypes of overachievers vs everyone is slacking especially college students. But here is the funny part, the citations for the examples of everyone is slacking especially college students are self-disclosed surveys with no way to account for participant bias. This was the first warning sign that I was dealing with amateur hour bullshit instead of research.

Warning! If you’re a sociologist, a psychologist or involved in any such related research the following paragraph below might cause a rage induced stroke.

(click to show/hide)

The obvious questions presented by the above are:

• What is "the intellectual condition of young Americans"?
  • How is "the intellectual condition of young Americans" being measured?
  • Why is the state of "the intellectual condition of young Americans" not ideal?

This are especially interesting questions since:

• EVERYONE younger than 30 years of age has been lumped into one sample.
  • Psychological and sociological concepts are discarded, no research other than statics here folks.

The answer is simple, ITS NOT! It is not qualified, quantified or defined. There is no conceptualization or operationalization here. He did not define his own fucking concept that he seeks to measure. As a matter of fact it is only mentioned once in the entire book! And that one mention is to introduce the term with no explanation of it. Remember folks, this guy was the Director of Research and Analysis at the National Endowment for the Arts and a professor of English. The purpose of his research and book falls flat on its face before page ten.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: The Dumbest Generation: A short book review
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:19:50 am »
Wut... maybe this guy could stand to retake a science class?  Because he failed one of the most basic aspects of research.

A researcher takes all possible variables into account, not just one.

Doing things like ignoring all other variables leads to things like "correlation = causation" fallacies.

Seriously, wut.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:29 am »
Embarrassment to Emory.  Emory is serious about their shit.

Distind

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:54 am »
a professor of English.
Really explains the lot of it.

And I'm more than willing to guess dumbest is entirely based on the fact most people today put a good deal of their time towards different pointless shit than the pointless shit he values.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »
Chapter 1, he used Jay Leno’s show as empirical evidence…. he used Jay Leno’s show as empirical evidence and tried to generalize it as representative of lower standardized test scores!

He even recognized that the Jay Walking segment is edited and that the presence of a camera alters people’s responses. HE USED IT ANYWAY.
I…
I…
*foams at the mouth*

(click to show/hide)

Are www.scribd.com links allowed, because I can feel myself getting dumber as I read this book. I can't keep doing this, I just can't.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 01:23:38 am »
Reads the chapter on the Leno segment....okay.....Kefka cannot respond due to brain aneurism.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:37 pm »
He's an English professor, FFS. He doesn't have any qualifications to do this and be taken seriously.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:18 am »
(Jay Leno on the street)

If I claim to be able to correctly guess what card someone is thinking of on camera, get it right after 52 tries, and don't show the 51 failures, it means I'm psychic.

$1M PLZ

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:56:06 pm »
I wonder if he factors in how much better writing skills have gotten with gen Y cause let's face it we read and write a lot on internet forums and blogs.  Oh and improved geography etc skills due to having friends in multiple countries

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:07:46 pm »
(Jay Leno on the street)

If I claim to be able to correctly guess what card someone is thinking of on camera, get it right after 52 tries, and don't show the 51 failures, it means I'm psychic.

$1M PLZ

Or, if you're smart, use sleight of hand to make sure they either pick the card you want them to pick, or find some way to read the card they picked without them knowing.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »
Fuck!

I don't care WHAT he's a professor of, professors have no right to be this goddamn STUPID.