Author Topic: Piracy Thread!  (Read 11962 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Piracy Thread!
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 07:01:44 pm »
That's not what you were saying earlier, but okay.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:41 pm »
Ichy: Copyright law exists for BOTH reasons, to protect the rights (and incomes) of the creators AND to provide a means for material to enter the public domain. And yes, the laws have gone too far over to one side, but that doesn't mean we should swing the pendulum so far the other way that content creators have no rights.

As you said, copyright protections for content creators are supposed to encourage and facilitate that content being created. What you're proposing is to take away that incentive. And you don't think that would have a negative impact on the production of said content?

I didn't say all incentive should be taken away from content creators.

Considering you just said that you'd pirate JohnE's artwork in a heartbeat, yeah you kinda did.

The only thing I disagree with in Chitoryu's post was that you're an idiotic baby.  That's an insult to idiots and babies.  They don't have the opportunity to know better.  You, however, do.  You just won't take it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
Ichy: Copyright law exists for BOTH reasons, to protect the rights (and incomes) of the creators AND to provide a means for material to enter the public domain. And yes, the laws have gone too far over to one side, but that doesn't mean we should swing the pendulum so far the other way that content creators have no rights.

As you said, copyright protections for content creators are supposed to encourage and facilitate that content being created. What you're proposing is to take away that incentive. And you don't think that would have a negative impact on the production of said content?

Considering you just said that you'd pirate JohnE's artwork in a heartbeat, yeah you kinda did.

The only thing I disagree with in Chitoryu's post was that you're an idiotic baby.  That's an insult to idiots and babies.  They don't have the opportunity to know better.  You, however, do.  You just won't take it.

lol Magus. You always have to have the last word in these shitfests.

I never once said "pirate" or "piracy" in this thread before this post. You must be misinterpreting what I was trying to convey.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 08:08:58 pm »

Zach, petty insults are uncalled for.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 08:13:14 pm »

lol Magus. You always have to have the last word in these shitfests.

Look who's talking.

I never once said "pirate" or "piracy" in this thread before this post. You must be misinterpreting what I was trying to convey.

Yeah I'm going to call bullshit.

JohnE asked if you think people should pirate his stuff.  You said, "Short answer: Yes"

There isn't any ambiguity here.

Zach, petty insults are uncalled for.

So chitoryu calls him a "idiotic baby", you say nothing.  I change the nature of the insult and you jump on me.

Seems legit.

That being said, I'll agree that I was wrong to insult him here.  This isn't the forum for it.

I do, however, disagree on one thing: petty insults are called for ;)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »
I said that to you because I've seen you, as a mod, get on people for far less. Second your post was a blatant ad hominem. Third, I didn't bother to read chit. Is that legit enough for you?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:36 pm »

Well, he assumed John was only doing art for a longer time then two years. But he did call it Piracy.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »
I said that to you because I've seen you, as a mod, get on people for far less. Second your post was a blatant ad hominem. Third, I didn't bother to read chit. Is that legit enough for you?

First of all, an ad hominem is when you try to dismiss someone's argument on the basis of attacking their character.  It is not synonymous with "petty insult".  What I did was I pointed out the gaping flaw in his argument, then resorted to the petty insults.  It's an argumentative tactic that FSTDT was once quite well known for, so don't get self-righteous with me when I have seen you do this exact thing in the past.

Second of all, I already agreed with you that this wasn't the place to do it.  I acknowledge my mistakes.  Furthermore, I am no longer a mod, and one of those reasons is that I didn't feel like I was that good of a moderator.

Third, you didn't even need to read Chit's post.  I mentioned that I disagreed with him on one point.  That gave you all the information you needed to understand that I wasn't the first to bring it up.  I understand you tl;dr's Chit's post, but maybe you could hone your reading comprehension so that you can read four sentences more thoroughly?  I don't use words pointlessly, every word I use has a meaning, and it bothers me when people clearly miss these words so they can misinterpret my posts as they see fit.

Finally, the entire reason I did it was to change an ableist insult to a non-ableist insult, because quite frankly I think that it's more clever to insult someone without implying that they are mentally defiient.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 08:25:45 pm »
"I didn't say 'pirate' or 'piracy.' I just said 'Download without permission.'" Because that makes it totally different.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
First of all, an ad hominem is when you try to dismiss someone's argument on the basis of attacking their character.  It is not synonymous with "petty insult".  What I did was I pointed out the gaping flaw in his argument, then resorted to the petty insults.  It's an argumentative tactic that FSTDT was once quite well known for, so don't get self-righteous with me when I have seen you do this exact thing in the past.

Actually, if you read the post in which he said he would pirate John's work he qualified it with "many of us don't get paid for work we did years ago." So what you did was strawman his position and then resorted to petty attacks.

Second of all, I already agreed with you that this wasn't the place to do it.  I acknowledge my mistakes.  Furthermore, I am no longer a mod, and one of those reasons is that I didn't feel like I was that good of a moderator.

The purpose of such is to show a modicum of hypocrisy and awareness. If you're calling out others for lesser insults, you shouldn't make such overt ones.

Third, you didn't even need to read Chit's post.  I mentioned that I disagreed with him on one point.  That gave you all the information you needed to understand that I wasn't the first to bring it up.  I understand you tl;dr's Chit's post, but maybe you could hone your reading comprehension so that you can read four sentences more thoroughly?  I don't use words pointlessly, every word I use has a meaning, and it bothers me when people clearly miss these words so they can misinterpret my posts as they see fit.

Believe me, Chit's post was not a TL;DR. I read plenty of longer more pointless things a day. I just generally ignore Chit's posts.

Finally, the entire reason I did it was to change an ableist insult to a non-ableist insult, because quite frankly I think that it's more clever to insult someone without implying that they are mentally defiient.

Idiot is ableist, now? Welp, you learn something new every day...

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:56 pm »

Actually, if you read the post in which he said he would pirate John's work he qualified it with "many of us don't get paid for work we did years ago." So what you did was strawman his position and then resorted to petty attacks.

Oh don't tell me you're actually siding with him on this matter.  A lawyer, siding with an admitted pirate.

This is hilarious.

I'm just going to repeat JohnE and say that, oh yeah, downloading something without someone's permission is TOTALLY different from piracy.  Right.

The only strawmen in this thread are the ones that Ironchew has constructed himself.

The purpose of such is to show a modicum of hypocrisy and awareness. If you're calling out others for lesser insults, you shouldn't make such overt ones.

Oh believe me, no one knows I'm a hypocrite more than I do.  It's part of my daily routine of self-loathing.

Believe me, Chit's post was not a TL;DR. I read plenty of longer more pointless things a day. I just generally ignore Chit's posts.

Did you miss the part where that was unnecessary?

Idiot is ableist, now? Welp, you learn something new every day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot
An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. Archaically the word mome has also been used. The similar terms moron, imbecile, and cretin have all gained specialized meanings in modern times. An idiot is said to be idiotic, and to suffer from idiocy. A dunce is an idiot who is specifically incapable of learning. An idiot differs from a fool (who is unwise) and an ignoramus (who is uneducated/an ignorant), neither of which refers to someone with low intelligence.

I'm doing it out of protest of the words "Retard" and "Autistic" being used as slurs in today's world, mostly.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
Oh don't tell me you're actually siding with him on this matter.  A lawyer, siding with an admitted pirate.

This is hilarious.

I'm just going to repeat JohnE and say that, oh yeah, downloading something without someone's permission is TOTALLY different from piracy.  Right.

The only strawmen in this thread are the ones that Ironchew has constructed himself.

1. I'm not a lawyer. I never claimed to be. I'm a law student and I don't even discuss law on here because I dislike sounding haughty. Besides, this is my place to procrastinate the mountains of work I have to do, so why would I invoke legal BS?

2. Strawman me again. I never sided with him. I think he raises some points and if he weren't so quick to be straw-manned as a troll and as a pirate, maybe you (general) could find some middle ground. I'm actually sitting out of this debate, but for what it's worth, I'm indifferent. The rub for me is your insults because as of late, you've been rather aggressive to people you dislike.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:40 pm »

This is hilarious.

1. I'm not a lawyer. I never claimed to be. I'm a law student and I don't even discuss law on here because I dislike sounding haughty. Besides, this is my place to procrastinate the mountains of work I have to do, so why would I invoke legal BS?

2. Strawman me again. I never sided with him. I think he raises some points and if he weren't so quick to be straw-manned as a troll and as a pirate, maybe you (general) could find some middle ground. I'm actually sitting out of this debate, but for what it's worth, I'm indifferent. The rub for me is your insults because as of late, you've been rather aggressive to people you dislike.

How about the fact that he's "strawmanned" as a troll because he has outright admitted to being a troll?

Besides, you really are the last person who should be telling me that I'm "aggressive towards people I dislike".  You are the queen of passive-aggressive attacks on people you dislike, I just cut out the "passive" bullshit when I happen to be sick of bullshit... quite like I am now.

Your hypocrisy rubs me in all the wrong ways.

I've known for a long time I'm not a nice person.  I'm pretty much a product of the forums in that regard, where certain people are celebrated for being "not nice" to certain people based on arbitrary measures.  That and shitty life circumstances.

But hey, this is the one place where I'm allowed to be an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, so WHEN IN FUCKING ROME.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:47 pm »
I guess it was hopelessly optimistic of me not to put this thread straight in F&B when I split it.

Can everyone chill the fuck down with the personal attacks? Called for or not, this is not the place.
Σא