Author Topic: Piracy Thread!  (Read 11967 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Piracy Thread!
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:48 pm »
Oh, but it's totally not stealing, because you're only making another copy. You're not actually taking anything away from anyone, therefore it's not only totally okay, but actually a basic human right to pirate! If you disagree, you're nothing more than a shill for the big, evil corporations.
I remember having one argument about digital piracy where a guy who used that same argument but took it up a notch... Saying that piracy is a bit like if you had a gun that would make a copy out of anything and if you used that to multiply bread and gave it away to starving people you would be considered a hero and therefore digital pirates should also be celebrated.

His whole argument revolved over the fact that pirates aren't "stealing" anything and they merely have this magical ability to CREATE more wonderful things and unlike greedy pigs that made the original version they just give away their "creations" for free...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Re: Piracy Thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:05:46 am »
If there is one thing Piracy has done for me, it was encourage me to go out and actually buy the album or game because I liked it so much.

Example in case, previously every game I have for my Sega Genesis collection (and just one game for the Sega CD), a one point I only "owned" ROM images of them. Now, I like have a decently sized amount of those "cream of the crop" games. And this is including Gunstar Heroes, which is like the most sought-after game in my collection, and yes, it came in the box.

Oh, I still want to go mod my Gen and make it play Japan-exclusive games, including some of my all-time favorite games Pulseman and Monster World IV.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:31:35 am »
Oh, but it's totally not stealing, because you're only making another copy. You're not actually taking anything away from anyone, therefore it's not only totally okay, but actually a basic human right to pirate! If you disagree, you're nothing more than a shill for the big, evil corporations.
I remember having one argument about digital piracy where a guy who used that same argument but took it up a notch... Saying that piracy is a bit like if you had a gun that would make a copy out of anything and if you used that to multiply bread and gave it away to starving people you would be considered a hero and therefore digital pirates should also be celebrated.

His whole argument revolved over the fact that pirates aren't "stealing" anything and they merely have this magical ability to CREATE more wonderful things and unlike greedy pigs that made the original version they just give away their "creations" for free...

I've mentioned this before, but that's why I try to follow a specific set of "rules" when I do pirate:

1. Only download and keep abandonware or something that nobody is making money from any longer, or a game that I previously purchased and either want to switch to playing on the PC or I can no longer install or play with the disc..

2. If it's a newer game or one that the creators are otherwise still making money from, only download it to see if it'll run on the system and trade it for a purchased copy if I find that it does or remove it if it doesn't.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:35 pm »

Sounds like a strawman to me, but it has a kernel of truth.

It's not stealing unless someone else is deprived of the copy you took. The "big, evil corporations" love to use those words to make copyright infringement sound more criminal than it really is.

We cannot build general-purpose computers that can do everything except the things copyright holders don't like. It's my right to do whatever I want with my machine. If your proposed solution to the infringement problem is to install spyware on my computer that prevents me from, say, copying certain things, you are in fact violating basic ownership rights and it is in my best interest to circumvent those restrictions.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:13 pm »
*sips soda*

Just waiting for the popcorn to pop.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:10 pm »
Here we go again.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
*Sigh* Should I even bother? No, probably not.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:32 pm »
We cannot build general-purpose computers that can do everything except the things copyright holders don't like. It's my right to do whatever I want with my machine. If your proposed solution to the infringement problem is to install spyware on my computer that prevents me from, say, copying certain things, you are in fact violating basic ownership rights and it is in my best interest to circumvent those restrictions.
So... Let me get this straight. You think that simply owning a computer means it's now your right to take software you haven't paid for? I'm not quite certain yet, but this could well be #1 in my list of most retarded arguments that piracy apologists use. Actually, I'm quite sure that it is.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »
*Effie Trinket voice* Yaaaay, piracy fight!
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »
So... Let me get this straight. You think that simply owning a computer means it's now your right to take software you haven't paid for? I'm not quite certain yet, but this could well be #1 in my list of most retarded arguments that piracy apologists use. Actually, I'm quite sure that it is.

Personally, I go out of my way to avoid using software that has a price tag, but I don't particularly care if someone else procures a copy without paying. I do not consider software worth paying for unless I get the source code along with it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:00 pm »

Personally, I go out of my way to avoid using software that has a price tag, but I don't particularly care if someone else procures a copy without paying. I do not consider software worth paying for unless I get the source code along with it.

Doesn't change the fact that your logic is utterly fucking pants on head stupid. It's like saying "I own a car, therefore I can mount an anti-tank RPG on the roof because it's my right to modify it however the fuck I want."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:13:27 pm »
Doesn't change the fact that your logic is utterly fucking pants on head stupid. It's like saying "I own a car, therefore I can mount an anti-tank RPG on the roof because it's my right to modify it however the fuck I want."

That's a horrible analogy. When the things I can do with a PC box in any way approach the things I could do with a rocket launcher, you might have a point.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:20:41 pm »

That's a horrible analogy. When the things I can do with a PC box in any way approach the things I could do with a rocket launcher, you might have a point.

The point is that just because you own something, you don't have the right to do illegal things with it.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
The point is that just because you own something, you don't have the right to do illegal things with it.

Legality is not the same as morality, and you have not made a clear moral case why copyright infringement is wrong.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 10:34:55 pm »
Do you enjoy movies and video games? Specifically, big budget productions? Or do you only watch indie movies and play indie games? Do you only read books that are in the public domain?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:37:55 pm by JohnE »