Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387611 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #930 on: April 16, 2017, 04:54:21 am »
...but swearing up and down he would not intervene in other countries or start a war.

Don't forget that half the time Trump said that the US shouldn't be intervening and that they should be spending money at home, and the other half of the time he said "You have to take out their families."

Trump said one thing to impress the non-interventionist types, and the other to convince warhawks he was going to juse Waffen-SS tactics on ISIS be more commanding and powerful in the Middle East.

I know, I know, and everyone heard what they wanted to hear and assumed he didn't actually mean the other and laughed at people who pointed out that he was on both sides of the issue.

That's his secret. He speaks in half-sentences and promises to do everything and nothing and people somehow only hear what they want to hear AND they manage to claim that not only does Trump always mean what he says (unlike other politicians) he also does not mean it when he says things that the fan did not want to hear...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #931 on: April 16, 2017, 09:24:29 am »
The administration is systematically purging their websites of scientific data that they don't like. The urgent archiving effort and wayback machine have saved most of it but the purge still does limit easy availability of reliable information about subjects like climate change.

Quote from: Victoria Herrmann
All in all, emails about defunct links of sites that weren’t saved are annoying, but harmless. Finding archived materials to replace them add maybe 20 minutes of internet searches to my day – and a bit of anger at the state of the country.

The consequences of vanishing citations, however, pose a far more serious consequence than website updates. Each defunct page is an effort by the Trump administration to deliberately undermine our ability to make good policy decisions by limiting access to scientific evidence.

We’ve seen this type of data strangling before.

Just three years ago, Arctic researchers witnessed another world leader remove thousands of scientific documents from the public domain. In 2014, then Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper closed 11 department of fisheries and oceans regional libraries, including the only Arctic center. Hundreds of reports and studies containing well over a century of research were destroyed in that process – a historic loss from which we still have not recovered.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #932 on: April 16, 2017, 10:07:38 am »
...but swearing up and down he would not intervene in other countries or start a war.

Don't forget that half the time Trump said that the US shouldn't be intervening and that they should be spending money at home, and the other half of the time he said "You have to take out their families."

Trump said one thing to impress the non-interventionist types, and the other to convince warhawks he was going to juse Waffen-SS tactics on ISIS be more commanding and powerful in the Middle East.

I know, I know, and everyone heard what they wanted to hear and assumed he didn't actually mean the other and laughed at people who pointed out that he was on both sides of the issue.

That's his secret. He speaks in half-sentences and promises to do everything and nothing and people somehow only hear what they want to hear AND they manage to claim that not only does Trump always mean what he says (unlike other politicians) he also does not mean it when he says things that the fan did not want to hear...
Trumps speeches are like the bible. A turbid mix of anecdote, half baked morality and vengeful rambling.

That's disturbing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2017, 05:42:04 am »
http://nypost.com/2017/04/15/trumps-demand-for-carriage-ride-with-queen-roils-british-security/

Trump just wants to be a queen for a day.

I mean, he wants to ride in the carriage meant for the queen of Great Britain.

The carriage “would not be able to put up much resistance in the face of a rocket propelled grenade or high-powered ammunition,” one security source told the Times of London, noting that tens of thousands of people are expected to protest Trump’s visit.

“Armour-piercing rounds would make a very bad show of things,” the source added.

Still, the White House regards the carriage procession to Buckingham Palace as an essential bit of pomp for his state visit to the UK, currently planned for the second week of October, The Times reported Saturday.

Trump doesn't need armour-piercing rounds to make "a very bad show of things," mind you...

I mean it's not like Trump wasn't already a drama queen or demanded things that are extremely costly but this would be the first time that he puts himself at risk to get something.

If he does get assassinated we can say that he died for what he believed in: riding gold plated, tacky and outdated vehicle which stinks slightly of horseshit.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #934 on: April 17, 2017, 05:52:56 am »
I guess it's not quite as petulant as it seems at surface since the carriage procession has been used in welcoming other heads of states so the carriage is not exclusively reserved to the queen herself. Don't get me wrong, it still is silly and childish but not any more than what Trump has already shown with his other actions. I wonder if he will realize the security concerns cannot be removed by just telling people to make them go away and he will end up pretending he never asked for the ride.

pyro

« Reply #935 on: April 17, 2017, 04:25:30 pm »
I wonder if he will realize the security concerns cannot be removed by just telling people to make them go away

Has it ever worked out that way in the past?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #936 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
I wonder if he will realize the security concerns cannot be removed by just telling people to make them go away

Has it ever worked out that way in the past?

This time it's his own safety in line. His self preservation instinct might kick in if the security folks push the right buttons.

pyro

« Reply #937 on: April 17, 2017, 09:58:33 pm »
Didn't stop him from wanting to still live in Trump Tower.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #938 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:34 am »
Securing Trump Tower was possible, it was just expensive for the tax payers. Trump can't force the British to refit the queen's carriage to be more secure.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2017, 08:53:04 am »
But he doesn't live in the Trump tower. He lives 50/50 at the White house and Mar a Lago.

pyro

« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:15 am »
But he doesn't live in the Trump tower. He lives 50/50 at the White house and Mar a Lago.

Oops. Mea culpa.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »

Oops. Mea culpa.

He wanted to live there but changed his mind, his kid and wife still do. I don't think his change of mind had anything to do with security issues, a building can be secured well enough as long as you spend enough money.

<introspection>
It's telling about my typical train of thought and certain lack of confidence that instead of pointing out the obvious flaw I felt more comfortable pointing out how the claim doesn't prove the thing you think it proves. Directly refuting the truth of the claim wasn't necessary for an argument so I took a less confrontational approach.

In this context it doesn't matter but in a protracted debate/discussion this type of thinking sometimes leads me to an unintentional direction away from my own core argument without me even noticing it myself until later.
</introspection>

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #942 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:17 am »
Congressional Republicans have to be terrified right now. They had to make a massive push to retain Kansas's 4th Congressional District, and Jon Ossoff looks like he'll come within a whisker of taking an outright majority in the jungle primary for Georgia's 6th. With South Carolina's 5th and Montana's at-large on the horizon, these results have to be scaring them spitless.

These are not seats Republicans should have to be fighting to hold, but they are.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #943 on: April 19, 2017, 01:43:53 am »
Well, it was exciting but Ossoff lost.

He didn't get over 50% in the first round and now Republicans are going to gang up against him so his chances of winning are reduced.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #944 on: April 19, 2017, 03:34:31 am »
Don't count the man out yet.  This is huge.  This seat shouldn't be in contention and yet here we are.  The GOP is seeing the results of backing the Orange Piss Pot and it's not looking good.

Ironbite-the pendulum shouldn't be swinging back blue this hard, this fast