Author Topic: Russian ambassador murdered in Turkey  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Russian ambassador murdered in Turkey
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:11:44 pm »
This could end really, really bad...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/19/russian-ambassador-to-turkey-wounded-in-ankara-shooting-attack

The killer was either a Turkish police officer or had a convincing fake ID.

After firing at the ambassador, the man, dressed in a suit and tie, shouted in Turkish: “Don’t forget Aleppo. Don’t forget Syria. Unless our towns are secure, you won’t enjoy security. Only death can take me from here. Everyone who is involved in this suffering will pay a price.”

He also shouted in Arabic: “We are the one who pledged allegiance to Muhammad, to wage jihad.”

ISIS or just someone who didn't like Russia bombing half of Syria?

Either case, we are left with one dead ambassador and one dead assassin. Turkey is still a NATO country so a war between Russia and Turkey is certain to go global ...Is what I would like to say but President Trump might declare that USA will not help their NATO allies and this could make the other NATO countries also decide not to go to war. Also, Turkey has been getting closer to Russia so it's not exactly certain that Russia would start a war over this...

This is already complicated but I doubt much good will come from this.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Russian ambassador murdered in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:58:55 pm »
This is probably one of the worst possible situations for a brash leader inexperienced in foreign policy to take office during. Lets hope that Turkey, Russia, and potentially Obama can hash things out before Trump takes office, or this is likely to spiral out of control.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:09:10 pm »
All Russia has to do is slowly increase the pressure for a month to keep this going until Trump is sworn in. Then they can set up an international crisis for his first day in office and laugh.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »
So speculation time is that the assassin was sent there by the Turkish PM to stir things up with Russia.  Because that's just what that region needed.

Ironbite-*gets a cap collection started*

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 04:16:16 am »
Putin has stated that this was an intentional attempt to ruin the Russia-Turkey relations and that the only possible response is to increase their fight against Terrorism. A lot of people in Syria are going to die because of this one terrorist.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 06:25:59 am »
Turkey, being as aware as anyone else that the future US president is Putin's puppet and doesn't give a single fuck about NATO, must be shitting themselves.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 06:52:11 am »
Putin has stated that this was an intentional attempt to ruin the Russia-Turkey relations and that the only possible response is to increase their fight against Terrorism. A lot of people in Syria are going to die because of this one terrorist.
Which was probably the whole idea.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 03:05:42 am »
Probably a Trump supporting white nationalist.

There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 04:55:57 pm »

• Step one, spot story that isn't about your favored bloviating points.
  • Step two, insert bloviating points into thread.
  • Step three, THIS THREAD IS NAO ABOUT ME AND MY BLOVIATING POINTS. Profit?

Yeah, about that international crisis that has nothing to do with conservative cultural anxieties about diversity and political correctness again.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 06:28:40 pm »

To quote your icon, a fanatic is somebody who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. Wonder who that describes?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.