Author Topic: Republicans continue their war against science and nature  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Republicans continue their war against science and nature
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:37:00 am »
Their latest trick: http://www.salon.com/2014/11/19/house_republicans_just_passed_a_bill_forbidding_scientists_from_advising_the_epa_on_their_own_research/
(click to show/hide)

Pretty much what the title says. Scientific experts will be forbidden from being advisors to EPA when their own work is concerned and the right of corporations to hire experts to counter the research is protected.

Do you See this? This is what happens when you vote Republicans. As we say here: A nation will have the leaders they deserve.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:46:22 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Republicans continue their war against science and nature
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:38 am »
Let's hope this doesn't end in a river catching fire.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:59 pm »
I've heard one theory that the reason intelligent life hasn't contacted us is because it is the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself.
This feels disturbingly relevant right now.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »
Lovely. I don't think this will destroy humanity, but it'll make things tough for us, no doubt about it. In the past, I've said that the great thing about the Tea Party is that they embrace end times beliefs, which makes it tough for them to have a long term strategy. Looks like we're seeing the bad part of that.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »
I know, I don't really think you'll destroy yourselves.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:11:02 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:32 am »
We might end up killing off a large portion of life on this planet, but humans are a lot like cockroaches we somehow manage to survive despite our best efforts.

Although to be honest, this bill isn't so much anti-science as it is pro-corporate. It is all about making it easy for lobbyists and companies with profit margins invested in screwing over the environment, to make as much money as possible. The science is purely secondary, if people were holding active protests against these things, the companies would make that illegal too.