Author Topic: Gay marriage legalized in Britain.  (Read 9492 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Gay marriage legalized in Britain.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »
High five, England/Wales!
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 09:41:17 pm »
I say, a jolly good work, Britain. keep slogging on against the tide of hate toward the future.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 09:53:32 pm »
The futile fundie tears will flow like rivers of mead in the halls of Valhalla.

There aren't really that many fundies in the UK. I remember one guy telling me that you're considered crazy if you go around praying in public.

Here, if you don't believe in a dirt man, rib woman, talking snake, humans riding dinosaurs, and a god that fathered himself to sacrifice himself to himself to get you forgivin from himself, the call you the crazy one
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 11:57:49 pm »
So, could one of our UK members explain why not Scotland?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 12:02:12 am »
Separate Parliaments, I believe.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:02 am »

Technically not, the Scottish Parliament has only what powers the UK Parliament wants it to have.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:13 am »

Technically not, the Scots Parliament has only what powers the UK Parliament wants it to have.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:20 am »
Previously only civil unions had been allowed and religious organisations still have the right to refuse to do a gay wedding.

Personally I agree with that last bit. No need to force this on religious organisations, besides plenty of them already allow it and if the others change their policies it is better that the change comes from within than being forced by the goverment.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who felt churches should be required to hold gay weddings if it's against their religion.  No more than we require, say, a Roman Catholic Church to officiate over Mormon weddings.  The only people who talk about churches being forced to officiate are fundies looking for reasons to be upset.

And yeah, England tends to be more level-headed, religiously.  They're even further gone off the deep end when it comes to alternative medicine and other such nonsense, though.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:17 am »
I don't think I've ever met anyone who felt churches should be required to hold gay weddings if it's against their religion. 

Actually, neither have I.

But every single time that gay marriage is discussed you can be sure that someone from the opposition will claim that this would happen. They've been saying it in Finland, they've been saying it in USA (I bet we could find a dozen examples from the mainpage) and I'm pretty sure the same argument has been brought up in UK.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:38 am »
Congrats to England and Wales, for taking a step in the right direction.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:41 am »
Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate laws on marriage.Its a bit like differences between states (but with no federal marriage law equivalent). Northern Ireland will either take 25 years to legalise it or their gonna have to be forced somehow. The place doesn't deserve the level of autonomy it has.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 09:14:19 am »
Thanks for all the explanations. Really helped! ^_^_^_^
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:24 pm »
Northern Ireland will either take 25 years to legalise it or their gonna have to be forced somehow. The place doesn't deserve the level of autonomy it has.

Yeah but it was basically either that or continue blowing eachother up.  What would you rather the British government had done?

Having grown up in Northern Ireland during the "blow eachother up" phase I think re-instating the Northern Irish Assembly was preferable, as much as I despise most Assembly members.  So far my house has yet to be shaken by another bomb blast, no husband of my mother's work friends have lost anymore body parts from people putting bombs under their cars for no reason other than they were a cop and no more children from the schools I went to have been shot dead for the crime of having a catholic friend.  So that's progress.  We may not have reached the 21st century yet but we'll get their some day.  Probably when everyone else is in the 25th century.

I am serious by the way, those were the two options.  There was a 3rd option - unify Ireland and give Northern Ireland back to the Republic but I don't think I need to explain why that would have been a disaster that would have caused the deaths of thousands of people.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:48:06 pm by Katsuro »

wrightway

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 07:40:17 pm »
Northern Ireland will either take 25 years to legalise it or their gonna have to be forced somehow. The place doesn't deserve the level of autonomy it has.

Yeah but it was basically either that or continue blowing eachother up.  What would you rather the British government had done?

Having grown up in Northern Ireland during the "blow eachother up" phase I think re-instating the Northern Irish Assembly was preferable, as much as I despise most Assembly members.  So far my house has yet to be shaken by another bomb blast, no husband of my mother's work friends have lost anymore body parts from people putting bombs under their cars for no reason other than they were a cop and no more children from the schools I went to have been shot dead for the crime of having a catholic friend.  So that's progress.  We may not have reached the 21st century yet but we'll get their some day.  Probably when everyone else is in the 25th century.

I am serious by the way, those were the two options.  There was a 3rd option - unify Ireland and give Northern Ireland back to the Republic but I don't think I need to explain why that would have been a disaster that would have caused the deaths of thousands of people.

It really was that bad? My ex always claimed his bio-parents gave him up because of the violence in Ireland in the late 80s. I chalked it up to wishful thinking. Now...not so sure.

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 08:00:47 pm »

'Back to the Republic'? It was never part of the Republic of Ireland.

Honestly as its part of the UK right now Id rather it was mostly ruled from Westminster and had much less choice over what it does. I'm Northern Irish too. Born and raised in Derry.