Author Topic: To Ex-Believers: Did you ever have dreams/nightmares when you were a Christian?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline majingojira

• Neonate
I heard from one ex-christian that she had a nightmare where the rapture had occurred. As she flew up into the clouds, she saw Jesus, but he was evil and his eyes were glowing red. He caused a plane to crash because he could.

My question to ex-believers, did your religious beliefs ever intrude upon your dreams? If so, what were some of the things you dreamt about?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
I used to be LDS, and I dreamt once that someone had thrown those golden plates into a river somewhere, and I leapt my dumb ass in to rescue them, never mind that I can't swim to save my life :P

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
I've had rapture dreams before.

Amusingly, one ended up being a bizarre transition of being in the car waiting for the rapture to happen, then it turns out that the entire thing was a computer game when the game "Crashed" and I'm sitting at the computer going "Well, heaven's sure buggy."

Now all I have are church dreams where I go church shopping.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Nope, none that I recall.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
I had a couple Rapture dreams.

Mainly I was left behind because of [insert reason here].

I preferred the dreams where God actually answered my prayers for once.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
The closest I had were constant nightmares that haunted me to the point that I suffered from insomnia.  As a Catholic, I prayed every night and started asking god, Jesus, and anyone else up there for help.  Nothing.

Then, in the middle of one such dream, I called out to Thor.  Problem solved.

Sorry, but i have to go with the results.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
I am still a Christian, but even I have them. A key difference is that God is not the villain, but rather other people. In one, I was being burned at the stake by a mob of nondescript fundies. In another, I was being...probed by a lab coat-clad Nietzschian ubermensche figure, while Billy Joel's "Pressure" was playing the background. I can't tell if I need to see my pastor or my psychiatrist, because it seems I'm caught between two equally terrible fates.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Errata

• Neonate
  • Personal Text
I had a few as a kid. They all freaked me out. Glad I stopped having them.
Signature

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Shortly before I converted to paganism, I had a really messed up dream where a Zombie Jesus (seriously, he was like a walking corpse, in the process of decaying) was chasing me, and when he caught me he ate my brains. I'm serious. In my dream I reached up and could seriously feel the inside of my skull with my hand. I think I watched "Return of the Living Dead" one too many times... though why there was an ACTUAL zombie Jesus there... fucked if I know.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
I used to have nightmares about dying, demons, dying in my sleep and the apocalypse. The demons and apocalypse dreams went away after I stopped believing in that stuff, and the death fears went away soon after.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
Strangely, I don't recall ever having dreams about demons or the apocalypse when I was a kid. My family was Catholic, but we weren't fundie, so maybe that explains it.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
Strangely, I don't recall ever having dreams about demons or the apocalypse when I was a kid. My family was Catholic, but we weren't fundie, so maybe that explains it.
My family was barely religious, but even just praying before bed (plus the "History" Channel), with the idea that I could die in my sleep repeated nightly, fucked me up there.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
I always assumed that kids in hell-fire-and-brimstone fundie households would have nightmares about hell and demons. Kids naturally have a predisposition to fear darkness, monsters, etc., it being an atavistic predator avoidance instinct channeled through their fertile imaginations. That said, I always saw the teaching of dogma about going to hell - a place that defines terror and pain - to be a form of ignorant, unknowing psychological child abuse :(
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
I've read lots of stories of kids having nightmares about that shit, I agree, it's child abuse.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
I'd agree. Even being told it existed fucked the shit out of my brain, and that's with constant reassurances I wouldn't go there.