Author Topic: Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof  (Read 33761 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:51:14 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hedge-funder-buys-rights-to-drug-used-by-aids-patients-and-raises-price-from-1350-to-750-per-pill-10511690.html

Once again Capitalism works. Hedge fund trader sees that people need to buy drugs for AIDS and the price of the drugs is mere 13,50$/pill while they would obviously be willing to pay more for the drugs. Solution: They buy the drugs and start to demand 750$/pill.

Oh, the drugs are also needed by cancer patients and pregnant women.

AND he complains that he is the victim of a media attack and defends himself with the Eminem song "The way I am" because that is classy.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:16:01 am »
but why? money at the cost of lives?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:20:28 am »
In case you haven't heard about it, we have this thing called "capitalism." The main purpose of companies is to make as much money as possible and this guy figured out that if people die unless they get that medicine then they are willing to pay for it a lot more than the old price was.

...He is defending himself by saying that part of the money goes to study new drugs (so they basically make the customers pay for research to avoid any risks involved in researching new products AND they are still making fuckloads of money.)

They also say that there are "free" alternatives for people who can't afford the drug, which I assume means that the US tax payers will be paying for it either through taxes or through higher insurance costs if insurance companies are forced to pay for these pills.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 05:37:33 am »
The hedgefunder deserves to die. Just saying.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:09:54 am »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:50:39 am »
Would someone just kill him already? And maybe his family too? If anyone deserves being murdered, it's this guy.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 09:55:47 am »
AIDS patients need to have their multi-drug regimens adjusted all the time to stay ahead of the constantly evolving virus. Making any one of the meds unaffordable can be a death sentence in the US. Either their insurance copays for this drug will be untenable, or their insurer will not cover the cost at all. Gotta love this country. A man who hides behind the underlings in his company defrauds Medicare of billions of dollars, and then becomes a state governor. And this guy here is lauded as a great, savvy businessman in some circles. Thieves and murderers, both.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 11:45:17 am »
Would this be averted if we didn't have IP laws for medicine? I'm not sure how that works.

I know that many European countries have price ceilings for medicines and it worked fine for them.

No, this is entirely your fault.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:33 pm »
Would someone just kill him already? And maybe his family too? If anyone deserves being murdered, it's this guy.

Isn't hate speech against FQA's rules?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:57 pm »
Pfffft. Chew. Lame. It's a snark.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 03:08:30 pm »
The tweets people are sending him are priceless. That being said, nothing of value will be lost, if this asshole ends up dead or in jail(given that both Sen. Sanders, a Rep. Cummings have launched an investigation into the price hike). Seriously, this is the type shit that is wrong with this country.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:15:56 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:22:44 pm »

Isn't hate speech against FQA's rules?

That's just silly. Spitefully wishing for a particular rich asshole to be murdered doesn't even fit the definition of hate speech, in letter or in spirit.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 03:31:20 pm »
No surprise, the douche is currently under investigation for insider trading and fraud. Can we just go ahead a start the tarring and feathering now??

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 03:33:34 pm »
If you put this guy in a movie, the audience would call him ridiculously over-the-top.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 06:15:55 pm »
Hillary announced that she would be looking into this guy if made president, his company's stock tanked 20%

Ironbite-me thinks he might be put upon the alter and sacrificed to the SEC gods before long.