Author Topic: Student goes effing LOCO about OWS related project at NYU  (Read 6173 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Student goes effing LOCO about OWS related project at NYU
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:51:40 pm »
Here are some bits of the email she sent to the President of NYU:

"The way I interpret this statement is that Professor Zaloom asked me to stop expressing my views in class—by the way,according to the American Constitution, and many academic policies, this is both my legal and academic right, but whatever, I guess that doesn't matter when you're Caitlin Zaloom—-because she realized I was right, or because she could not argue with me without recognizing that the assignment was completely illegitimate and a farce?

If you have any thoughts on this, please feel free to reach out! [REDACTED] is my mobile phone number and it will be on all night, as I will be waiting up until 9 am rolls around...

3. Although it went against my core values, moral beliefs, and also made me feel unsafe, I ultimately did go to Occupy Wall Street with my class group——-two other young girls, who are quite attractive and thin, and don't look particularly physically fit enough to take on a potential predator, rapist, paranoid schizophrenic, etc.——just to see if I was being as melodramatic as Professor Zaloom made me feel I was.

***I won't go into detail here, but let me just tell you that if anything, I had previously underestimated how awful Occupy Wall Street was, and I left the park feeling as though I had escaped an extremely dangerous—-and even, life-threatening—-situation.***

4. After sending various emails to Professor Zaloom's account, in which I expressed my discomfort with the assignment for legal, academic, ethical, moral, and safety reasons, and also mentioned these things in class, she finally agreed to meet with me one last time."

Here is the professors rating at ratemyprofessor.com  http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=960217

It gets worse...http://gawker.com/5873148/the-crazy-department+wide-emails-that-everyone-at-nyu-is-talking-about
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:53:31 pm by mrtraffic »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Student goes effing LOCO about OWS related project at NYU
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:19:22 pm »
What...the...fuck?

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »
All I hear is "Woe is me, I'm a conservative being oppressed by liberal professors because of my political beliefs."

Seriously, is it really hard to visit a couple of people in Zucotti park in broad fucking daylight with police everywhere. Fuck, for a sociology class project I visited and conducted interviews in a homeless shelter where I talked to people who WERE ACTUALLY unstable and I didn't bitch.

Grow up.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »
She doesn't get what free speech  means, either. From what I understood, she had her say, her professor listened and responded, and because the response wasn't what she wanted, she started screaming, "Free speech! I has none!!!!11!"

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »
Free speech to these type of people means they get to say what they want and anything criticizing it or contrary to to it is oppression.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
I...tha fuck?  Jesus, some people are bleedin special ain't they?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:04:06 pm »
holy fuck, that's some serious crazy.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »
Okay I can understand being a little nervous depending on the location (I live near Detroit), but this is one crazy ass bitch! 

Sounds like some of the nuttier planet feedback letters or customer encounters that are posted on sites like notalwaysright or customerssuck. 

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:32:21 pm »
holy fuck, that's some serious crazy.

In the comments section they are debating whether she has schizophrenia, some other kind of paranoia issues, type 1 bi polar, etc... I mean come bitching about hold ones hand up in class for too long.  Anyone who hasn't gone to the page and read (or at least skimmed) the WHOLE thing ought to. 

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
Once in Amnesty International club, we were making an ad supporting the release of a political prisoner. We were discussing ideas of what we would say, pictures, directing, etc. One boy piped up and said, "We just have to make sure the tone isn't anti-American. that's what I care about." (Right, because being pro-freedom means being anti-American. Got it.)

This guy is just plain ridiculous though...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:32:22 pm »
LOL I visited OWS two weeks ago when I was in NYC. There were goddamn cops EVERYWHERE. It's probably the safest place in New York right now. It seems that her real beef was that she didn't want to do a study on the OWS people at all because she finds what they stand for so utterly disagreeable. Her dismissing them all as criminals, drug addicts, and mentally ill essentially proves that little factoid.

When I was in university I did my assignments whether I wanted to or not because I wanted a degree and I wasn't a privileged little fuckwad who believed that I should get everything I want handed to me on a fucking silver platter. Earth to crazy bitch! Life is not fair. School is hard. Suck it up and do what you need to do. You think NYU needs one more crazyass undergrad? Pay attention: NYU does not need you. You need NYU. You push this and they will simply dismiss you. No degree for crazy bitch. You know how many undergrads are at NYU? NYU won't even notice you're gone.

Here's how you handle it when you can not work with a professor: you withdraw from the class and retake it with another prof. It's that easy. You don't call up the President and threaten him unless he fires the professor. Universities do not bow to the whims of undergrads.

I wonder if she realizes how crazy her e-mails make her look? How ridiculous? I wonder if she knows how insanely childish her formatting is? can someone who wants to study sociology really be that clueless?

I wonder if she realizes how much Fox News would shit themselves to run with her "story."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:34:34 pm by sandman »
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline maanantai

• Likes to Move It Move It
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 08:35:27 pm »
Free speech to these type of people means they get to say what they want and anything criticizing it or contrary to to it is oppression.

I have to agree with you on that.

And I got the picture, that this person would like to use all the class time to "share their point of view" for which the other students (too) are paying for.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 08:57:24 pm »
I have a feeling someone's being a little over dramatic.  Life threatening?  Seriously?  With all the cops and news crews around you thought you were in mortal peril?

Just because you're upset at observing something against your political views doesn't mean you have a free pass to make crazy shit up to make the other side look bad.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 08:59:10 pm »
I have a feeling someone's being a little over dramatic.  Life threatening?  Seriously?  With all the cops and news crews around you thought you were in mortal peril?

Just because you're upset at observing something against your political views doesn't mean you have a free pass to make crazy shit up to make the other side look bad.

According to my wildly conservative friend, OWS was REALLY broken up because of an outbreak of Typhus.  Sounds to me like she might have gotten the memo

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 09:10:39 pm »
Well, on the bright side, that's one person no (sane) company's going to want to hire. One more job for those who really want & need it.