Author Topic: Insane way to lose weight. Can it even work?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Insane way to lose weight. Can it even work?
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:57:30 am »
Okay, so a few years ago I was at a boy scout summer camp. The camp was Hale Scout Reservation here in Oklahoma(3rd best in the country). For the week we were there we stayed in large green canvas tents like these:

Most of the tents were under tree cover to some degree but not all. Since most of the tents are probably older than me the aren't in the best condition. They were replaced some of the damaged one with newer ones. One big difference between the old and new ones were that the new ones were a lot darker green and coated in a rubber like material. Now if you've been to Oklahoma in the summer you would know it can be 110F at times. I think you can imagine what a dark, rubber coated tent with the door flaps closed, in the sun, in 110F, will be like inside. Believe it or not that all had a point.

One year a kid from another troop and me were talking and he mentioned that one of the guys in his troop dressed in three or four layers of sweat shirts and pants and got into one of these tents in the sun and started to exercise. I told the guy I was talking to his friend must be crazy. He responded that he drank even more water than most of us normally did and had someone check on him every few minutes. I still thought he was a madman but he told me it worked really well for losing weight fast.

I just remembered this a couple days ago and want to know if you all think this would even work in the first place.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure if it should go here or in the science board.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:59:11 am by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

QueenofHearts

Re: Insane way to lose weight. Can it even work?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:24 am »
I have heard of similar stories. I don't know the science behind it, but the theory is that by working out in extreme heat it raises the body temperature so that fat is more easily burned (as well as expelled from the body since it isn't needed for warmth). Again, I don't know the science (if there is a method to the madness or if its an old wives' tale) but I know that it is popular among wrestlers and other athletes who need to make weight.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:07:37 am »
I thought the logic was had more to do with the sweating like crazy, meaning you could lose the weight just by being in the insane heat. I don't know if there is any science behind sweating the fat away though.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:29 am »
Well, that too to a degree. That's more in line with cutting weight instead of losing weight. If he was sweating like crazy he'd be losing mostly water weight (which by drinking a lot he'd be putting back on). Losing weight deals more with burning fat which I thought you were talking about and hence why I didn't address sweating.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:54 am »
I think the pain and risk outweigh any benefits provided by quick weight loss, in this case.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:49 pm »
It's a quick way to lose water weight and not much else.

It's insane and is likely to not work.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:37:49 pm »
Yeah, I'd chalk up any weight loss to the exercise itself than the manner.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »
So pretty much this is less effective and more dangerous than the "supermodel diet"?(sticking your finger in you throat until you puke)

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »
It's a quick way to lose water weight and not much else.

It's insane and is likely to not work.

QFT

You're losing water weight, like when a fighter cuts weight to make weight before a fight.  The only benefit would be dropping all your water weight quickly, I do not believe you'd lose fat any quicker.  And you'd really need to be on a healthy diet and drinking a lot of fluids to do that safely.
Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:03:19 am »
Dude, I've lived in Oklahoma all my life, I know exactly how hot it gets here. That said, as others have pointed out, this guy is sweating out water and nothing else. The first Big Gulp he gets from 7-11 will put the weight right back on.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen