Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36786 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2018, 12:48:33 am »
Im skeptical until I see the final numbers in. But it looks like they're going to win back the house. Trump even called Pelosi to congratulate her. I was about to have a heart attack there. I knew there was no chance with the Senate, all I was hoping for was the house flipping.

Oh and fuck Kim Davis, she lost reelection that bigot.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:20:43 am by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2018, 01:09:01 am »
One bright spot: one of the architects of the GOP's voter suppression strategy, who had some questionable things go on during his primary, Kris Kobach, lost the Governorship in Kansas.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2018, 01:32:54 am »
Kansas also elected an openly gay Native American MMA fighter to congress, as well.

Wisconsin's state assembly stays in Republican hands (considering how bad our voter suppression is, this is not a surprise), but Attorney General and Governor are still too close to call. At nearly 100% of votes counted. I expect the Republicans to hold on to those seats, but god damn I hope they don't.

EDIT: At 98% reporting, Tony Evers just took the lead (winning by just over 1000 votes). Dear god I hope he holds that lead.

EDIT 2: Milwaukee absentee ballots came in and Tony Evers wins. Bye Scott Walker! Go fuck yourself!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:29:50 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2018, 02:37:12 am »
Not even from Wisconsin, and I know more than enough about Walker. Fuck that guy, gonna put on hey hey hey goodbye for some celebration.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2018, 03:08:34 am »
One bright spot: one of the architects of the GOP's voter suppression strategy, who had some questionable things go on during his primary, Kris Kobach, lost the Governorship in Kansas.

->Democrats win the House, and do not do well in places we knew they were not going to do well in.
-> This is obviously a disaster and a consequence of Not Enuf Populism.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2018, 03:32:06 am »
Alright it's been finally called on CNN and Dems currently have the 218 seats needed for majority. I'm going to try to get some sleep, but my anxiety was running so high today it might be hard to unwind.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2018, 04:08:06 am »

->Democrats win the House, and do not do well in places we knew they were not going to do well in.
-> This is obviously a disaster and a consequence of Not Enuf Populism.

They win the House, yes, but not by much, and they lose seats in the Senate, making it very difficult to win that body in 2020.

Look at the ballot measures. Progressive priorities, as a general rule (yes of course you can find exceptions), succeed. Run candidates who have those same priorities and they stand a far better chance of winning than people like Joe "I spit in my base's face" Donnelly.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2018, 09:06:47 am »
Yes they didnt win by much but I see this as a huge victory for the democrats.  The senate was unobtainable this time around, just like It was for Republicans back in 2010. It was an uphill battle that had everything against them. The economy is doing really well and the Republican tax cuts have grown more popular. Extremely partisan gerrymandering, the whole Tim Kavannaugh debacle leaving a sour taste in voters mouths, and Republicans sticking with the president instead of opposing him. Despite all of those things they were still able to come out victorious.
It may not have been the blue tsunami people wanted but they were able to win with odds stacked against them.
Trump being very unpopular and healthcare were enough to get people out to vote.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:10:44 am by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2018, 01:56:41 pm »
There's also how the election map was also VERY heavily in the favor of the Republicans. The Democrats had 26 seats to lose in the Senate. The Republicans had 9. By all accounts, the Republicans were going to walk away with at least five seats, but they only got two. Yes, there's the fact that the Republicans lost the popular vote by TWELVE FUCKING MILLION VOTES, but it's not exactly news that Republicans are disgustingly over represented.

Should last night have gone better? Yes. It should have gone better and it would have gone better if Republicans didn't cheat so fucking badly. But it still went a little better than the polls and analysts suggested. Winning the House and having the Senate go better than expected is a great first step to curtailing Republican fascism. Also, Democrats will control the House Intel Committee. So they now have the means to investigate Trump and the chances of Republicans shutting down the Mueller investigation plummet.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:06:40 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:02 pm »
Not to mention Trumps ambitions of building a border wall are dead and buried. If he couldn't get it with a Republican congress there's no way the democrats are going to give him the funding. I predict Trump threatening to shut down the government many times over this issue alone.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »
It's gonna be fun when someone calls his bluff.

Ironbite-also Georgia is going to a run off so...

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2018, 04:22:05 pm »
The right wing reacts with rejection of reality...

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/dave-daubenmire-youll-never-convince-me-democrats-won-the-house/

doomsaying

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/barbwire-contributor-election-final-nail-in-our-nations-coffin/

And of course a ranting interview by Trump where he clashed with possibly the ballsiest CNN reporter I've ever seen.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2018, 07:20:11 pm »
So who here wants a fresh new speaker of the house but is afraid well be disappointed by reach across the aisle Pelosi?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:51 pm »
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/667214148/democrat-kyrsten-sinema-wins-arizona-senate-seat?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2041&fbclid=IwAR2EFneiwHcDU1vHat6OLbLGBmuvZ70hHnxKxLzr3sKGplQR7rBpk_47zf4

Democrats win Flake's seat for the first time since 1988. This means that the maximum increase of Senate seats Republicans can win after Florida and Mississippi's special election are done is two, a far cry from the predicted five. We know how Florida is going and Mississippi is going to a runoff, so anything can happen there.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:36:51 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2018, 08:39:42 pm »
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/667214148/democrat-kyrsten-sinema-wins-arizona-senate-seat?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2041&fbclid=IwAR2EFneiwHcDU1vHat6OLbLGBmuvZ70hHnxKxLzr3sKGplQR7rBpk_47zf4

Democrats win Flake's seat for the first time since 1988. This means that the maximum increase of Senate seats Republicans can win after Florida and Mississippi's special election are done is two. We know how Florida is going and Mississippi is going to a runoff, so anything can happen there.

Still makes it hard for them to retake the Senate in 2020, especially when you consider that they will likely lose Alabama then, and Mississippi (should Sec. Espy somehow win the runoff) would also likely be lost. Even if they can hold the GOP to no gains this time around (by winning both FL and MS) that still leaves them with three seats to flip, or four if they don't win the Vice Presidency.

And anyway the GOP will get to continue putting young wingnuts on the federal bench to stymie any Democratic policy initiatives for decades to come.