Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 37732 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2018, 04:29:35 pm »
The chances of retaking the Senate have been pretty low for the Dems. I'm not too surprised by that, and their chances will be better in 2020, but I don't really forsee them taking the Senate back until 2022 honestly. I just want the dems to take back the house and prevent the Republicans from ruining healthcare and giving more handouts to the wealthy.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2018, 05:11:16 pm »
The Dems' chances of retaking the Senate are a lot better than they have any right to be. There's a good chance they hold the Republicans to the status quo--which would still be horrific, but better than losing seats.

In 2020, meanwhile, there are quite a few seats that could flip:

Alabama: To R.
Colorado: To D.
Iowa: To D.
Kentucky: To D. (Not because the Democrats should be winning Kentucky, but because Mitch McConnell is ridiculously unpopular.)
Maine: To D. (Probably over anger at Collins' vote for Kavanaugh.)
North Carolina: To D.
Texas: To D. (Yes; it's very possible that it will go Democratic in the Presidential race, which could bring the Senate seat with it.)
West Virginia: To D.

I don't think all of those will flip (in fact, I think the most likely is Alabama), but I'd say that as long as the Democrats can hold the Republicans to no net gain this year (which is very possible) they have a very good chance at retaking the Senate in 2020.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2018, 06:03:32 pm »
How do you figure Texas will go Blue in the presidential race?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2018, 07:25:51 pm »
How do you figure Texas will go Blue in the presidential race?

Because Texas is already an outlier for Republican states in terms of urbanization.

Romney and Cruz both won Texas by about 16 points in 2012. Cornyn (a two-term incumbent) won by 27 points in 2014 (a Republican wave year, remember). Trump won Texas by about 9 points. 538's forecasted vote shares for Cruz and O'Rourke puts Cruz 5 points up (Classic model and Deluxe model; 5.5 points up in Lite). That's a trajectory that can make Texas into a swing state in 2020.

EDIT: Andrew Gillum on Ron DeSantis:

My grandmother used to say, a hit dog will holler, and it hollered through this room. Mr. DeSantis has spoken; first of all, he's got neo-Nazis helping him out in this state, he has spoken at racist conferences, he's accepted a contribution and would not return it from someone who referred to the former President of the United States as a "Muslim n-i-g-g-e-r" [ed: Gillum spelled it out], when asked to return that money he said no, he's using that money to now fund negative ads.

Now I'm not calling Mr. DeSantis a racist, I'm simply saying the racists believe he's a racist.

EDIT #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xNK1jB6gw

How the Democrats could blow the midterm election--and 2020.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:02:56 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:45 pm »
Everyone get out and vote tomorrow.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:15 pm »
Everyone get out and vote tomorrow.

And make sure it wasn't switched to a vote for the other candidate.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2018, 03:16:47 am »
I voted early and Wisconsin uses paper ballots. So, yeah.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2018, 03:19:40 pm »
I guess the results will be out sometime when it's night here and I'll come back to see the aftermath on the net and here.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2018, 05:09:41 pm »
I have done my civic duty.

Ironbite-now to sit back and wait.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2018, 09:00:33 pm »
I'm preparing to get disappointed again.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2018, 09:18:38 pm »
I'm preparing to get disappointed again.

I said it before: the one thing the Democrats are good at is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2018, 09:47:36 pm »
Ah FQA, the optimistic friend of FSTDT.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2018, 11:17:06 pm »
Democrats take the House - that's enough process that I'm gonna call that a victory.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2018, 11:29:20 pm »
I am betting we'll still get "Democrats are skilled at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" posts for not winning enough.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2018, 12:25:23 am »
Between Donnelly, Heitkamp, and McCaskill, they pretty much lost the Senate for 2020.

EDIT: And Nelson.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:42:42 am by dpareja »