Author Topic: Victim of bullying finally wins  (Read 29297 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Victim of bullying finally wins
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 06:55:59 pm »
Cry about it. As the old adage goes, "He didn't start the fight, but he damn well finished it."

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 07:16:08 pm »
I will never celebrate the death of a human being. I didn't even cheer when bin Laden was shot. (I remember thinking three things: "How regrettable that this was necessary," "Thank God that there are brave young men and women willing to do this horrible, regrettable but necessary job,"and "The crowds of people in the streets in the USA cheering bin Laden's death look exactly like the crowds of people in the streets in the Middle East cheering 9/11.")

I especially will not celebrate the death of a child. Bullies are dicks, and justly deserve appropriate consequences, but they do not deserve to die for it. (And it is true that no one has ever come up with a truly effective anti-bullying method in American schools. Which is a tragedy.) And while the title of this thread could be interpreted as celebrating the actions of the victim in this case, I'm not going to put words in the OP's mouth. In a nutshell, this entire scenario is a disaster for everyone concerned. There were no "winners" here. Not the victim, who is dead, nor the witnesses, who now have to deal with witnessing a bloody killing, nor the defendant, who must now somehow deal with being a killer.

I do not know if I ever killed anyone in NI. I certainly shot at a lot of IRA, and tried my best to hit them, and I'm pretty sure I did on more than one occasion, but I have no idea if they died as a result of my actions. And despite that.....I struggle emotionally today with the idea that I might have killed someone, and for no other reason than that my government disagreed with his politics. This young lad now has to deal emotionally with the quite literal blood on his hands. It sounds from the article like he was a bit of a sensitive sort (as most victims of bullying are), and I wish him the best in coming to terms with this.

In the end....nothing but a horrible tragedy for everyone. Perhaps the acquittal prevented further destruction and tragedy. I have no idea. Let us hope so.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »
I do not know if I ever killed anyone in NI. I certainly shot at a lot of IRA, and tried my best to hit them, and I'm pretty sure I did on more than one occasion, but I have no idea if they died as a result of my actions. And despite that.....I struggle emotionally today with the idea that I might have killed someone, and for no other reason than that my government disagreed with his politics.

Out of interest, why did you join the army in the first place, Sandman? (or was there a draft, I don't know).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 07:30:57 pm »
I just figured I'd counterbalance Kit's semantics & over-emotional reaction with my own lack of concern & bluntness. Of course the victim is personally invested in the situation, but from my perspective, I have nothing to "celebrate" or "mourn." Shit went down & reached its logical conclusion. Who the fuck really cares what the title of the thread is?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »
Good on the kid. Bully deserved what he got. Bastard
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »
And just when I think people aren't as stupid as some Transformers fans....Kit proves me wrong.

Ironbite-Kit do you post as member0 over at the Allspark?

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:18 pm »
Vene: And I disagree with the judge. This is was a school bully in suburbia, not a bar fight with the hell's angels. Unless the kids involved were true sociopaths, I doubt the kid would have ended up with even a broken bone. I don't view taking someone's life as the appropriate response to being roughed up a bit.
I trust the judge over you. Being attacked by multiple people is fucking dangerous, far more than your belittling "roughed up," and it is a legitimate threat to one's safety and potentially life. Responding with a weapon is appropriate, as is continuing to attack with said weapon until the threat is no longer a threat. Considering how fast people can stab with a knife, 12 hits really is not that much.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 07:59:32 pm »
I do not know if I ever killed anyone in NI. I certainly shot at a lot of IRA, and tried my best to hit them, and I'm pretty sure I did on more than one occasion, but I have no idea if they died as a result of my actions. And despite that.....I struggle emotionally today with the idea that I might have killed someone, and for no other reason than that my government disagreed with his politics.

Out of interest, why did you join the army in the first place, Sandman? (or was there a draft, I don't know).

Economic necessity. Blue collar, laborer family, unemployment in Inverness in the 70s was horrible, no real opportunities. After I served I went to university on what I managed to save from my pay billet.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:12 pm »
Ah, the old poverty draft. Gotta love the British.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:59 pm »
Good on the kid. Bully deserved what he got. Bastard

He deserved to die for being a 17 year old asshole? Seriously?

And just when I think people aren't as stupid as some Transformers fans....Kit proves me wrong.

I'm stupid...for not believing that being a bully is worthy of the death penalty? For not finding a damn worth celebrating in the death of a kid? For thinking that, maybe, there's a better solution to being bullied than carrying a knife and stabbing a mother fucker in the heart?
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 08:13:12 pm »

Well, the Poverty Draft is quite popular in the States, too, you know. Armed Forces recruiters almost exclusively visit inner-city and rural high schools.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
ITT: Kit Walker completely ignores 95% of all points made against him to focus on one of three posts that he's capable of tackling.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

I'm stupid...for not believing that being a bully is worthy of the death penalty?

No, you aren't. I, for one, happen to agree that a bully doesn't deserve death for being a bully if that's any consolation. An ass kicking most probably, but not death. Remember that a lot of people here at FSTDT feel very strongly about people being victimized, and have very strong reactions to stories about such things. Many valued and intelligent FSTDTers have experienced such torments firsthand for various reasons, or have close friends and loved ones who have, and there are fierce emotional connotations to events like these. Try to be understanding.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »

Well, the Poverty Draft is quite popular in the States, too, you know. Armed Forces recruiters almost exclusively visit inner-city and rural high schools.

Not so much Australia though, thank Christ. Our army is very small, not even a division.

-FDR

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:16 pm »
Fucking psychological counseling, court appointed and monitored. He flew into a rage (motivated by self defense, but 12 stab wounds - two fatal, including a nick to the heart - doesn't scream "in control") and killed another human being. He met force with an escalation of force. Letting him off without so much as "here see a shrink" sends the message "if you're being bullied at school, kill that mother fucker, no questions asked".

Really?! I mean fucking really?! This kid gets in a fight after trying to escape it several times and has three much larger guys breathing down on him after threats like "Today's the day" and "Better watch your back" and "He's in a rage"? He even showed the weapon once to them to convince them to leave him alone. He was fretting for his life. These guys obviously meant him harm as the fists bouncing off his head confirmed to the point he was losing fucking consciousness. He defended his life with one jab and still this kid kept swinging so he kept stabbing to end the fucking threat.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball