Author Topic: Victim of bullying finally wins  (Read 29558 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Victim of bullying finally wins
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2012, 10:45:42 am »
Shane and Sandy beat me to it...

and this is coming from a teacher's kid who was assaulted daily in high school and was suspended when telling the school rent-a-cop (as in, literally, they borrowed him from the local rural police force in town 15 miles away) to either do something, or I'd find a way to protect myself.  After I was previously in a 28 on 1 beatdown, including the entire football team.

Is it a tragedy? sure.  Am I going to cry for the shitstain? not a chance.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »
Oriet said most of what I want to say, but at least one person has said "he wasn't a villain in some story."

Well, you know what? I find this claim interesting enough to give it a more thorough look. He's a trained fighter with a group of flunkies who targets people weaker than him because he can & is either too dumb or berserk to back off when his antagonism backfires on him. As a result, he ends up dead.

That kind of fucking sounds like a Disney villain to me. All that's missing is that he falls off of the roof in a last-ditch attempt to kill the hero. Or really just falls to his death under any circumstances.

On the other hand, a cartoon villain might have redeeming traits. Maybe he has a code of honor, or is a cultured strategist, or a well-intentioned extremist. At the very least, a bitching outfit & a well-earned position of authority. From what little we've heard of his parents, it doesn't even sound like he gets to claim an abusive home life.

So, what's funny is that he actually comes out less sympathetic than a cartoon villain.
Your look isn't thorough enough.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »
Your look isn't thorough enough.

Bitch, you'd best be joking. Point is, it's not the people who don't give a shit who are creating a fictional account. Some people are treating him as totally unlikeable because he WAS totally unlikeable. Some people are trying to romanticize him as some kind of deeply flawed tragic hero when he was not. Some fit into neither category.

But if that were the ONLY repeating remark that bothered me, I probably wouldn't have felt like showing it for the badly written parody that it is. This thread has also played host to crap cliches like "teenagers can't do anything malicious because they don't understand consequences" & "fights never end in anything other than scrapes & bruises." Which are both proven bullshit.

Maybe the original story was a tragedy. But this thread is becoming a right-old comedy.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »
/mod kilt on

Refer to another poster as "bitch" outside F&B again and win a vacation.

/mod kilt off

Switching to regular poster mode, who referred to the dead kid as a flawed tragic hero? Did I miss something or am I misunderstanding the statement? As for teenagers not being able to do anything malicious....anyone who says that has obviously never met a teenager. And anyone who says fights only end in bruises has never been in one.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 02:49:36 pm »
Oriet said most of what I want to say, but at least one person has said "he wasn't a villain in some story."

Well, you know what? I find this claim interesting enough to give it a more thorough look. He's a trained fighter with a group of flunkies who targets people weaker than him because he can & is either too dumb or berserk to back off when his antagonism backfires on him. As a result, he ends up dead.

That kind of fucking sounds like a Disney villain to me. All that's missing is that he falls off of the roof in a last-ditch attempt to kill the hero. Or really just falls to his death under any circumstances.

On the other hand, a cartoon villain might have redeeming traits. Maybe he has a code of honor, or is a cultured strategist, or a well-intentioned extremist. At the very least, a bitching outfit & a well-earned position of authority. From what little we've heard of his parents, it doesn't even sound like he gets to claim an abusive home life.

So, what's funny is that he actually comes out less sympathetic than a cartoon villain.
How would you even know if he has any redeeming features? Maybe he has a little brother who adores him. Maybe he regularly helps old ladies cross the street. Or maybe not, maybe he spends his weekends throwing rocks at babies and tying firecrackers to the tail of his cat. You don't know. All you know is a handful of incidents in his life.

He's not a cartoon villain, because nobody in reality is a cartoon villain. Most people who are assholes in some situations can be great people in others. Or utterly unremarkable. It's really not many people who are universally disgusting, and even if this guy was one of them, you don't know enough about him to say so.
Σא

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »
I was not aware that the stock phrase "Bitch, you'd best be joking" was considered flaming. Is it also flaming if I say someone is bitching, or being a bitch?

I don't know. I know that we have SEEN no redeeming features. And thus it is ridiculous to expect people to treat him sympathetically based on something that MIGHT be true, but runs counter to what they have observed. I've been sticking with the storytelling analogy* because I wanted to show how ridiculous I think the whole complaint is. In a work of fiction, a villain is a character designed to have relatable motives & drive the plot. No one thinks he's a villain. They think he's an asshole.

Also important, that this ONE person is not sympathetic as far as can be reasonably judged, does not mean it is impossible to sympathize with the death of someone who was a bully. Consequently, some people who said things like "I won't cry for the shitstain" might have other ways to characterize him, if they find more out about him. But simply the principle that he "can't be as bad as you're making it seem"? Nah, that's not very convincing.

With that said, I don't think I can be any more concise on this point & think that I, for one, have easily said everything I needed to, & probably then some.

*="Flawed tragic hero" being an example of this.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »
heh, Lithp, ya might be a victim of the internet's lack of contextual non-verbal clues. Duly noted.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »
For those complaining about the "win", I meant it as for once the victim doesn't get treated like he was the aggressor. for once when things were said and done, society isn't going to blame or punish the victim.
It's a tragedy, sure. Do I feel any sympathy for Nuno? Not at all. Do I feel sympathy for the victim? Hell yes, and he's going to need help because this will haunt him the rest of his life.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »
For those complaining about the "win", I meant it as for once the victim doesn't get treated like he was the aggressor. for once when things were said and done, society isn't going to blame or punish the victim.

This, so much this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2012, 04:17:17 pm »
It's a tragedy, sure. Do I feel any sympathy for Nuno? Not at all. Do I feel sympathy for the victim? Hell yes, and he's going to need help because this will haunt him the rest of his life.

I can understand where you're coming from.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »
I'm still confused. Are stock phrases allowed if it's clear they are stock phrases? For instance, if I put "Bitch, please" in quotations, would it be understood that it's not a real insult?

Also, I feel like the thread doesn't need my level of cynicism anymore. It counterbalanced the melodrama of a few pages ago, but now it's just making its own.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »
I'm still confused. Are stock phrases allowed if it's clear they are stock phrases? For instance, if I put "Bitch, please" in quotations, would it be understood that it's not a real insult?

Also, I feel like the thread doesn't need my level of cynicism anymore. It counterbalanced the melodrama of a few pages ago, but now it's just making its own.

It sounded like you were just calling her a bitch. It actually never occurred to me that that was meant as a "stock phrase." You explained it. No problem.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:24 pm »
Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

How long has Yla been a woman?

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2012, 04:38:18 pm »
Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

How long has Yla been a woman?

How the hell would I know? I don't even know if YOU'RE a woman. On THIS board......I make NO assumptions or judgments.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:15 pm »
Oh God...I've been a woman all along!

The vagina, finally it makes sense!