Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36829 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 09:13:14 am »
Yes of course since the democrat doesn't agree with Nancy Pelosi then of course that automatically means he agrees with Trump.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 11:40:16 am »
I am not concerned by such quibbles, least of all in the favor of a creature like Saccone or Moore and giving them the benefit of a recount. Neither Saccone nor Moore in my view deserve the potential benefit of a recount.

I won't lie, if the beneficiary of a recount would be a Democratic nominee, I would be all for it.

All these legalese files and such you've recounted hold no importance to me. What matters is my ideological friend Conor Lamb won.

A perfect example of everything wrong with modern US politics.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 11:51:32 am »
Niam takes great pride in being edgier than thou. Personally, I wouldn't take him especially seriously.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 11:53:35 am »
Niam takes great pride in being edgier than thou. Personally, I wouldn't take him especially seriously.

Even if that doesn't reflect his actual views, there are people who hold exactly those views.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 04:15:04 pm »
I am not edgier than thou with this. I have shared my exact views on the subject.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 04:56:18 pm »
I am not edgier than thou with this. I have shared my exact views on the subject.

I am not concerned by such quibbles, least of all in the favor of a creature like Saccone or Moore and giving them the benefit of a recount. Neither Saccone nor Moore in my view deserve the potential benefit of a recount.

I won't lie, if the beneficiary of a recount would be a Democratic nominee, I would be all for it.

All these legalese files and such you've recounted hold no importance to me. What matters is my ideological friend Conor Lamb won.

A perfect example of everything wrong with modern US politics.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:17 pm »
What, that I completely prioritize victory and screwing over the GOP and their constituents at every turn?

They made every effort to screw over my state, and possibly eliminated my good tax returns going forward.

Yes I am absolutely bitter - when they took money from me I didn't even have yet, that makes every GOP Politician and voter recipient of my resent.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 11:16:43 pm »
What, that I completely prioritize victory and screwing over the GOP and their constituents at every turn?

They made every effort to screw over my state, and possibly eliminated my good tax returns going forward.

Yes I am absolutely bitter - when they took money from me I didn't even have yet, that makes every GOP Politician and voter recipient of my resent.

That you would insist on certain protections (like recounts in narrow elections) for the politicians you support, but insist on their lack when it comes to politicians you oppose.

That's blatant hypocrisy and fundamentally anti-democratic. The US is already, by many measures, no longer a democracy (one need only look at the 2000 and 2016 Presidential elections, or the 1942, 1952, 1996 and 2012 House elections, or the Senate any time the Republicans have controlled that chamber in the last thirty years, or the fact that partisan state Secretaries of State run elections--partisan officials running elections is a major red flag for international elections monitors but seems to go almost completely unremarked when it comes to the US), and making it worse and less democratic just because it happens to serve your own personal agenda and vendettas (however understandable those might be) is not going to fix the underlying problems that led to you being fucked over in the first place--if anything, it will only exacerbate them.

Furthermore, I would note that many Democrats are not all that great themselves: a third of their Senate caucus just voted to go even faster toward the next big financial crash by stripping out pretty much everything good done by Dodd-Frank--18 Democratic Senators voted to do that, and if the Democrats had stood firm against it (they could even have had six or seven defections, but had eighteen!), it would have failed as it required a three-fifths majority. We'll have to see how the House votes on it. Maybe the House Democrats will vote unanimously against it--not that that will matter, of course, since simple majorities are all that is required there to pass legislation.

But that is why people vote Republican--because so many Democrats are just Republican-lite, agreeing with Republicans on many matters, like banking deregulation, where the end result fucks over Americans. (The crash is coming, and then the bankers are going to come to Congress asking for bailout money.) It does no good to elect Democrats if they're going to vote for many of the things the Republicans want to do--and particularly when they support the shitty stuff that will lead you people like you getting the shaft.

That is not to say that Lamb and Saccone were equivalent, or that Jones and Moore were, or that Clinton and Trump were. None of them were equivalent. None of them were even close. But you're still going to get fucked either way as it stands--the Democrats just use lube and maybe don't go in quite as deep.

EDIT: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2155

The link to monitor the progress of S. 2155 (the banking deregulation bill).

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 05:38:41 am »

Look, Trump's lack of manners and racism are spreading to other GOP members. Let's see if it works for them as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 03:03:35 pm »
Conservatives rejoice, for Dan Lipinski, anti-ACA, anti-abortion, anti-gay rights Democrat, has triumphed in his primary.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 03:36:05 pm »
https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/ex-american-nazi-party-leader-wins-gop-congressional-primary-illinois/

Well... They made their choice.

"Choice." He was running unopposed, and will now face the aforementioned Rep. Lipinski in November.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:47 pm »
https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/ex-american-nazi-party-leader-wins-gop-congressional-primary-illinois/

"Choice." He was running unopposed, and will now face the aforementioned Rep. Lipinski in November.

Why was he running unopposed? I'm no politician, but I think getting more votes than a Holocaust denier would be child's play.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:51 pm »

Why was he running unopposed? I'm no politician, but I think getting more votes than a Holocaust denier would be child's play.

No idea. The district has a reputation for having a strong social conservative/Reagan Democrat streak, though, so it might be that there just aren't that many Republicans around to run. Besides, Lipinski shares a lot of views with the GOP (anti-ACA, anti-choice, anti-LGBT...). Even so, he didn't win his primary by much.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 10:12:18 pm »

I was going to say something like "well, at least he's only formerly a nazi"

But then I read the article.