Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 274842 times)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #915 on: March 28, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »
Kill Bill volume 1. My thoughts? HOOOOOOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIIIIT HOLY SHIT
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2014, 05:08:35 pm »
Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's... action-y. Stuff gets blown up. And shot. And missiled. And hit with a shield. And punched. And kicked. And, for variety, stabbed.

(click to show/hide)
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #917 on: March 29, 2014, 11:46:39 pm »
Noah

A few of my thoughts, spoilered for those who haven't seen it.

(click to show/hide)
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #918 on: March 30, 2014, 08:08:08 am »
Noah

A few of my thoughts, spoilered for those who haven't seen it.

(click to show/hide)
My mother saw that and bitched that it was "historically inaccurate".

(click to show/hide)
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #919 on: April 04, 2014, 08:19:55 am »
Finally saw Frozen the other day! Yeah, I know, took me long enough.. Still! It was pretty great!

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #920 on: April 10, 2014, 07:57:36 am »
Ride Along.

Remember when Ice Cube was in good movies?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #921 on: April 10, 2014, 11:23:41 am »
Captain America Winter Solider.

Ironbite-Hail Hydra.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #922 on: April 10, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »
Captain America the Winter Soldier.

Loved it.

Just try not to think too hard about whether or not all those guys Cap punched/kicked so hard they flew several feet through the air all died slow painful deaths from the same sorts of injuries you get from being hit by a bus.  It'll only get in the way of Cap's heroic boy scout image.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #923 on: April 10, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »

Loved it.

Just try not to think too hard about whether or not all those guys Cap punched/kicked so hard they flew several feet through the air all died slow painful deaths from the same sorts of injuries you get from being hit by a bus.  It'll only get in the way of Cap's heroic boy scout image.

Well, the MCU Captain America is nowhere close to his "boy scout" image from the old comics. Even in the first film he used guns and had few qualms about killing people, and he downright massacred sentient Chitauri in the Avengers and shot at Loki's human soldiers.

The MCU idea of the "All-American boy scout" is that he doesn't kill people who aren't trying to hurt him, innocents, or the good guys. He fights for justice and freedom and disapproves of trying to rule through fear or force. He's basically an old school idealist.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #924 on: April 10, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »
I'd argue about the Chitauri being sentient but that's besides the point.

Ironbite-Cap's a boy scout to a point and we loooooooooooong since passed that point.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #925 on: April 10, 2014, 07:41:23 pm »
I'd argue about the Chitauri being sentient but that's besides the point.

Ironbite-Cap's a boy scout to a point and we loooooooooooong since passed that point.

They do have the neural link, but their individual behavior indicates that they have the intelligence for at least some initiative and they seem to have emotions in battle, rather than just being remote controlled robots.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #926 on: April 11, 2014, 02:07:50 am »

Loved it.

Well, the MCU Captain America is nowhere close to his "boy scout" image from the old comics. Even in the first film he used guns and had few qualms about killing people, and he downright massacred sentient Chitauri in the Avengers and shot at Loki's human soldiers.

The MCU idea of the "All-American boy scout" is that he doesn't kill people who aren't trying to hurt him, innocents, or the good guys. He fights for justice and freedom and disapproves of trying to rule through fear or force. He's basically an old school idealist.

Yeah but if Cap has few qualms about killing bad guys then why doesn't he just use a gun all the time?  It'd make his job a lot easier.  Plus, I don't know this for a fact, but being shot to death is probably sucks a tiny bit less than being punched and kicked to death.  Not that either would be a painless, peaceful way to die.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #927 on: April 11, 2014, 03:48:49 am »

Loved it.

Yeah but if Cap has few qualms about killing bad guys then why doesn't he just use a gun all the time?  It'd make his job a lot easier.  Plus, I don't know this for a fact, but being shot to death is probably sucks a tiny bit less than being punched and kicked to death.  Not that either would be a painless, peaceful way to die.
I think it is mostly since Captain America fighting with just his shield is so iconic that changing it would anger the fans.

I also loved the movie, I think one of the best things about these new Marvel movies is the way the writers dare to use old comicbook characters but slightly updating or changing them. Whiplash and Batroc were silly enemies but in the movies they were made to be more intimidating and no longer just jokes. AIM was also reduced from a techno-cult to think tank and the Mandarin was changed greatly but that portrayal was just so perfect and provided a great plot twist so I just can't hate it. Some little things like using the name Jasper Sitwell were just so perfect. (In the Iron man comics Jasper Sitwell basically did what Agent Coulson does in the movies but was nerdier and more socially awkward.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #928 on: April 11, 2014, 10:19:29 am »

Loved it.

Out-of-universe, the reason would be that a very iconic part of Cap's fighting style is using the shield and hand-to-hand combat and managing to defeat people who technically have the advantage.

In-universe, a good justification would be that you can't be non-lethal with a gun. He's perfectly capable of killing with his bare hands and shield (especially the shield, which he repeatedly throws hard enough to embed it in steel plating), but you can't realistically shoot to wound with a firearm. You use a gun when you're prepared to kill the guy in front of you, but using his superhuman strength, speed, and reflexes gives him the option of whether or not he wants to simply disable or kill the person he's attacking.

Not to mention that in the interim since The Avengers, he's gotten infinitely more badass to the point where he can literally take out an aircraft with nothing but a shield and motorcycle.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #929 on: April 11, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »

Loved it.

Out-of-universe, the reason would be that a very iconic part of Cap's fighting style is using the shield and hand-to-hand combat and managing to defeat people who technically have the advantage.

In-universe, a good justification would be that you can't be non-lethal with a gun. He's perfectly capable of killing with his bare hands and shield (especially the shield, which he repeatedly throws hard enough to embed it in steel plating), but you can't realistically shoot to wound with a firearm. You use a gun when you're prepared to kill the guy in front of you, but using his superhuman strength, speed, and reflexes gives him the option of whether or not he wants to simply disable or kill the person he's attacking.

I was gonna say if he's not that bothered about killing bad guys that doesn't really answer anything. BUT, you're right it does give him the option to kill or not kill on an individual basis I guess.  Like maybe in a given situation there's one goon that for whatever eason Cap feels doesn't really deserve death but some of his colleagues are total shits that need wiping up.

I'm probably over thinking it anyway.  This is a superhero movie and the thing that I'm getting hung up on is whether or not Captain America's potentially death inducing punches fit his image.  The whole "super powered soldier who survived being frozen for 70 years , who occassionally hangs out with a norse god and a man who turns into the not-so-jolly green giant and who's arch nemisis was once a man with a red skull for a face" thing I'm apparently fine with lol.