Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275177 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #855 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:32 pm »
Dredd was fantastic.  Shame nobody saw it so we'll never get any more of them :(

Karl Urban needs to be in more things.  I first realsied that when I saw Star Trek, he makes for a fucking amazing Dr. McCoy.  He's the only one in those films who's giving Zackery Quinto a run for his money.

Zoe Saldana would be a great Uhura, but they gave her the square root of fuck all to do during Into Darkness.

Sounds like the original Uhura lol.

Yeah, this actually isn't an inaccurate statement. I've been watching some TOS lately, and Uhura really does spend a lot of the time as a background character outside of episodes that specifically focus on her. Same with Chekov and often Sulu. Really, anybody outside of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is a supporting character that occasionally becomes the focus of an episode.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #856 on: January 22, 2014, 03:17:01 am »
Even McCoy only ever got one epiosde that focused on him if I remember correctly.  Krik and Spock  were very much the main characters of TOS.

Uhura was nearly always on the bridge, even when she had fuck all to do.  In a lot of episodes Nichelle Nichols might as well have been just another extra.  According to Nichols, Shatner was partially to blame for that, telling directors that Uhura didn't need a line, Kirk should have a line instead.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:22:27 am by Katsuro »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #857 on: January 22, 2014, 11:47:24 am »
Even McCoy only ever got one epiosde that focused on him if I remember correctly.  Krik and Spock  were very much the main characters of TOS.

Uhura was nearly always on the bridge, even when she had fuck all to do.  In a lot of episodes Nichelle Nichols might as well have been just another extra.  According to Nichols, Shatner was partially to blame for that, telling directors that Uhura didn't need a line, Kirk should have a line instead.

Which is basically Shatner in a nutshell. I saw an interview with Christopher Plummer a few days ago where he talked about how in his youth, Shatner was his understudy in a play. When Plummer was hospitalized for kidney stones, Shatner had to finally take over for him; he later found out that Shatner had basically done everything exactly the opposite of how Plummer did it, which is a big no-no in performing. Plummer joked about how that was the first sign that Shatner would be a star, but his ego was always there.

The last episode I watched was "Return to Tomorrow", and McCoy had a decently sized role in that one: he was the lone dissenting voice among the officers in allowing the aliens to take over Kirk, Spock, and Mulhall's bodies. He also shows up in quite a few of the scenes, since as the chief medical officer he's #1 in monitoring the mind transfers.

Also, that episode had some of the most hilariously hammy acting from Shatner I've ever seen.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #858 on: January 22, 2014, 12:13:21 pm »
I think McCoy did get more stuff to do as the show went on, but I think he only got one episode that was actually about him.  In later ST shows pretty much every bridge character got several episodes that centred around them, even the characters nobody wanted to see more of...which in the case of Voyger and Enterpise was most characters lol.

Presumably that was, at least in part, so that they wouldn't be the "This Character & This Character Show" that TOS was was with Kirk and Spock, which I'm sure didn't help with egos and work atmosphere.  Or the other actors had better unions than the TOS actors lol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:17:59 pm by Katsuro »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #859 on: January 22, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »
I think McCoy did get more stuff to do as the show went on, but I think he only got one episode that was actually about him.  In later ST shows pretty much every bridge character got several episodes that centred around them, even the characters nobody wanted to see more of...which in the case of Voyger and Enterpise was most characters lol.

Presumably that was, at least in part, so that they wouldn't be the "This Character & This Character Show" that TOS was was with Kirk and Spock, which I'm sure didn't help with egos and work atmosphere.  Or the other actors had better unions than the TOS actors lol.

More likely the other shows just had less William Shatner.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #860 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »
If this were Facebook I would "like" that post so hard.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #861 on: January 26, 2014, 12:26:56 am »
The Thief and the Cobbler. That is, the unofficial, authorized 'Recobbled Cut', not that crappy release from Miramax.

What a shame, Richard Williams worked so hard and took too long to get the film finished in enough time because later the last production bond (and the one who helped finish - and butcher - the film) fabricated it into an Aladdin rip-off when this film came long, long before its conception.

Sadly, the cut remains unfinished, and it probably never will as some of the film is mere clips of storyboards and poor-quality or unfinished test footage.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:28:37 am by Alehksunos »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #862 on: January 26, 2014, 05:10:42 am »
Superman III.  I have actulaly seen it before but it was a loooooooong time ago, back when my age was still in single digits.

I'm not sure I have the words to describe it lol.  There's so much wrong with it I'm not sure where to start.  For one thing, what's up with the weird, jarring, constant tonal shifts throughout the film?  It's like it was written by two different people who didn't communicate enough, or one person with rapid cycling bipolar disorder or something.  It also has the least threatening bad guys in cinematic history who are so pathetic as villains I'm suprised Superman even pays them any attention at all.  They're even more pathetic as villains when you remember that the villains of the previous film were mother-fucking Zod and his crew.

And why does the computer suddenly turn sentient with no build up and start turning people into Cybermen?  Why does Pryor suddenly decide he doesn't want to kill Superman when earlier he had no problem handing him a lump of synthetic Kryptonite with the explicitly expressed intent of killing Superman with it and nothing has happened in between to make him change his ways?  Why do the bad guys keep trying to kill superman in ways that everybody on Earth should know won't work when they know he hasn't been weakend by their Kryptonite?  Why can Suprman survive in the vaccum of space but starts suffocating when trapped in a celophane bubble?  How does the synthetic  Kryptonite cause Superman to literally, not metaphorically, split into two people?  How does the green man on the traffic light climb up and attack the red man, are traffic lights sentient in the DC univere?  Why is there a single computer that controls weather sattelites, traffic lights, American Express ATM machines and department store billing services?  Why is it night time when Richar Pryor is hacking and using said computer but it's daytime when the traffic lights go haywire, even though it's clearly meant to be happening at the same time?  How can weather satellites manipulate the weather when they're only designed to observe it, what on board equipment is being used to create a tornado? Why are some of the special effects and sets worse than the last two films?

Also, was having Superman's first two major "evil" acts straightening the tower of Pisa and blowing out the olypmic flame really the best way the writers could think to show that Superman was turning evil?  Oh how terrible, watch out everyone an unstopable alien with god-like powers has run amok and is commiting very mild acts of vandalism and gernally being a bit annoying, who will save us from this horror?!  Even causing the oil spill was in no way close to being wrost thing an evil Superman could do.  The world got off lucky.

So yeah, it's the kind of movie that makes you spend the whole running time going, "Wait...what?  Why is...how did...what?"

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:27:55 am by Katsuro »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #863 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:22 am »
Roomie and I watched Escape Plan earlier tonight.  Stallone and Schwarzenegger? Yes please.

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that the 80's guys *still fuckin' got it*.  I'm impressed.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #864 on: February 01, 2014, 01:05:38 am »
Nebraska
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:07:41 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #865 on: February 01, 2014, 02:42:50 am »

I find a slight problem with your image. It's nothing but http://Nebraska.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #866 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:01 pm »

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #867 on: February 03, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »
I've just watched Cool Hand Luke.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #868 on: February 12, 2014, 05:30:14 am »
Dredd. Significantly badass
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #869 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:14 am »
Dredd. Significantly badass

Again, Dredd was all kinds of brilliant.