Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275937 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #765 on: September 23, 2013, 03:27:04 am »
American Psycho. Been meaning to watch it for a while, now I wanna get the book.

The book is pretty good and there is quite a difference between the book and the movie.  My only real gripe with the book was the descriptions of what he was wearing got really tedious since I had no idea what any of the brands looked like.

That was kinda the point: to someone uneducated in fashion of the times, it would seem like generic "wealthy yuppie clothing". In reality, he intentionally chose horribly garish and ugly combinations. Same with the food, where he chose intentionally disgusting combinations that satirized popular upper class food, like the real life lobster with vanilla sauce.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #766 on: September 23, 2013, 08:49:49 pm »
Today I saw that awful awful Yogi Bear movie.  Why, you ask?  Why indeed...  :(

At least that turtle was cute though... Oh god it's infected my brain...

I think it's because sometimes we just want to watch a movie that is so overwhelmingly awful that we hate ourselves afterward.

Much like how one time when it was on TV, I just... stuck around for a couple of minutes of Grown-Ups (the first), possibly, if only because I just wanted to see how awful that movie. And yes, from just a couple of minutes it is indeed an awful movie. Like almost every film starring Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider or whatever washed-up comedy actor out there.

And to have seen Adam Sandler in a 'Troll Face' + "U MAD?" tee, the very fact that that's even a thing...

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #767 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:41 am »
Actually I didn't have any choice.  This was in class, and we've finished all our work and just treading water until finally finishing up on Friday (alliteration ahoy!)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2013, 05:33:34 am »
Sharknado. It was a thing of beauty.

Now watching 12 monkeys
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #769 on: September 25, 2013, 11:06:48 am »
It amuses me how the beginning of Iron Man 3 has a voiceover similar to Emperor's New Groove. Makes sense, I suppose. ;P

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #770 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »
Midnight In Paris Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but I seriously wanted to do bodily damage to the fiancee and her parents.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #771 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:50 pm »
Most recently I watched Jesus Christ Superstar (the 2012 live version, technically not a "movie" but it was on dvd, so it counts, dammit!) and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of JCS, as I actually hadn't seen it before, but I have seen Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, so I knew it was going to be a bit weird, and not straightforwardly religious, which it wasn't (thank the gods for that :P). I really liked how it managed to portray how selfish Jesus' followers actually were (and by extension how selfish a lot - though not all - of modern religious people are), with many of the crowd songs being about essentially "Hey Jesus, what can YOU do for ME?" while never doing anything for him. ("Hey JC, JC, won't you die for me?~") Also dammit Andrew Lloyd Webber, that's stuck in my head again >:|

As for 2001, I have no idea what I've just seen, but I loved every second of it. Just looking at the effects alone... it's hard to believe it was made in the '60s. And... yeah, I once read a quote from the creators saying something like "if you understood everything about 2001, we have failed. We wanted to raise more questions than we answered." If that was their goal, they definitely succeeded, and again, I love it.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #772 on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:19 am »
Snežnaya Koroleva (The Snow Queen)

A film by the Soviet animation studio Soyuzmultfilm.

A very pretty movie, which I've unfortunately seen through a sad dub which made it look like a generic family feature.

If Frozen skips and distorts so much of what made this true to the story, I'll come back to this thread explaining why it sucks.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #773 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:39 pm »
The Evil Dead. The original, not the remake.

If you go into it knowing that it's basically a bunch of amateur film students trying to make a horror movie without really knowing what they're doing, everything just kinda clicks into place.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #774 on: October 09, 2013, 08:46:56 pm »
my neighbor Totoro.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #775 on: October 11, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »
Donner Pass. A silly slasher about high school kids who go to spend a cabin near where the Donners ate each other.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #776 on: October 11, 2013, 10:43:53 pm »
Mama. I liked it, even if the ending could have been better.

Halfway through the ABCs of Death, got up to L. F was just plain horrible. C and D were interesting. H was sheer what the fuck?! And L managed to kill my L. I think the biggest problem with the movie is that it's hard to do meaningful storytelling in only 5-6 minutes. So most of the directors resorted to shock value.

F was definitely one of the worst, and I found L utterly repulsive with zero value whatsoever.

(click to show/hide)

My favourites were D, N, S and U, and there were a few others I didn't mind (C, G, M, X, etc.) I mostly liked P, but I thought one scene was unnecessary and took away from the message of the short.

Along with F and L, the ones I really hated were O (pretentious BS), J (stupid), W (so fucking stupid), and Z (mix of repulsive, stupid and pretentious).

Everything else ranged from mediocre to crappy.
D, N, and S were definitely the best. U wasn't bad, but I don't think it was as good as D, N, or S. I forget what P was, even though I just finished the second half of the movie. X grossed me out to no end, don't handle gore too well. W sure did live up to what it stood for. Z seemed to be an excuse to get people naked and make references to a far better movie.

(click to show/hide)
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #777 on: October 15, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »
Apollo 18. A found footage style movie about how there was another trip to the moon after Apollo 17. There's just one problem with the setup.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #778 on: October 15, 2013, 09:15:56 pm »
The aliens sent them back. They're nice like that.
Σא

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #779 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:32 pm »
Watched The Tower last night.  Not bad, Korea.  Not bad at all.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."