Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275018 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #645 on: July 24, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »
I had trouble enjoying it even as a popcorn flick. Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges worked together well, but I'm not at all exaggerating when I say that it seemed like the two of them were just ad libbing banter back and forth for half the film. I couldn't shake the feeling that so much of the legitimately good stuff was something not even in the script in the first place.

Also, RIPD does NOT have the worst CGI of 2013. That honor goes to Olympus Has Fallen. That movie is embarrassingly bad. Star Wars Episode II was better, and that is not an exaggeration in the slightest.

That's how a lot of good comedies are made. According to MIB lore, the original script was absolute crap. The finished product is basically Tommy Lee Jones deadpan ab-libbing most of his lines while Will Smith tries to keep up.
Same thing with all three Iron Man films. The first one was filmed with about half a script, at best. The actors, especially RDJ, were so good at just doing it ad libbed that the sequels were designed to be ad libbed.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #646 on: July 24, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »
I had trouble enjoying it even as a popcorn flick. Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges worked together well, but I'm not at all exaggerating when I say that it seemed like the two of them were just ad libbing banter back and forth for half the film. I couldn't shake the feeling that so much of the legitimately good stuff was something not even in the script in the first place.

Also, RIPD does NOT have the worst CGI of 2013. That honor goes to Olympus Has Fallen. That movie is embarrassingly bad. Star Wars Episode II was better, and that is not an exaggeration in the slightest.

That's how a lot of good comedies are made. According to MIB lore, the original script was absolute crap. The finished product is basically Tommy Lee Jones deadpan ab-libbing most of his lines while Will Smith tries to keep up.
Same thing with all three Iron Man films. The first one was filmed with about half a script, at best. The actors, especially RDJ, were so good at just doing it ad libbed that the sequels were designed to be ad libbed.
I think RDJ ad-libbed a few of his lines in The Avengers too. I believe the line IronMan directs at Thor, about his cape being made from his mother's old draperys was ad-libbed.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #647 on: July 24, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »

I think RDJ ad-libbed a few of his lines in The Avengers too. I believe the line IronMan directs at Thor, about his cape being made from his mother's old draperys was ad-libbed.
That would make sense. After all, I'd imagine the only person able to do Iron Man's wit as well as RDJ is Joss himself.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #648 on: July 26, 2013, 04:25:18 am »
The World's End.

I thought it was excellent.  If you liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (of course you do) then you'll like this.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #649 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »
Star Trek(2009) and Thor.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #650 on: July 27, 2013, 05:32:22 pm »

Iron Man has a fascinating background, actually. Beyond the ad-libbing, at various points it could've been directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Tom Cruise, which sounds like a combination so awful it could tip over into crazy awesome.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #651 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:39 am »

Iron Man has a fascinating background, actually. Beyond the ad-libbing, at various points it could've been directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Tom Cruise, which sounds like a combination so awful it could tip over into crazy awesome.
So much about those trivia things sound so bad it's good.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #652 on: July 30, 2013, 01:59:06 am »
I watched Despicable Me 2.

10/10, a rating I don't give often.  There wasn't a single thing I found that I could possibly dislike about the movie.  No cringe-worthy "liar revealed" scene, no needlessly drawn out moments, just pure fun from beginning to end.

The only characters I disliked were characters I was meant to dislike.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #653 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:41 am »
I've been meaning to see that one actually. I saw the first one in theatres (I can't remember the occasion) and it was adorable and hilarious! I'm sure the second one will be as well. I miss watching these little-kid movies sometimes.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #654 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:19 am »
Felt like watching some Star Wars, so I decided to watch Star Wars:A New Hope.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #655 on: July 31, 2013, 11:18:18 am »
The Speed Racer movie.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #656 on: August 03, 2013, 02:53:01 am »
Turns out that not only does one of my old high school drama clubmates know the girl who played the daughter in Sharknado, but said girl is a local! Multiple people I know are mutual friends (or "friends" that I try not to look in the eye because they might try to stalk my Facebook and get me fired).

I don't think I'd have the heart to tell Aubrey that her acting was shit on Kristen Stewart's level.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #657 on: August 03, 2013, 07:01:12 am »
The Conjuring.

I liked it, but it has a lot of cheesy overly emotional moments for a horror film.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #658 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:28 am »
Turns out that not only does one of my old high school drama clubmates know the girl who played the daughter in Sharknado, but said girl is a local! Multiple people I know are mutual friends (or "friends" that I try not to look in the eye because they might try to stalk my Facebook and get me fired).

I don't think I'd have the heart to tell Aubrey that her acting was shit on Kristen Stewart's level.

Based on what? Twilight? Cause she was a damn good actor in the Runaways.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #659 on: August 03, 2013, 11:23:52 am »

Based on what? Twilight? Cause she was a damn good actor in the Runaways.

Based on every Twilight film, Snow White, her minor appearance in Jumper, and most of Welcome to the Rileys. Which is quite simply everything I've seen her in. With nary an improvement in sight.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.