Author Topic: Android x86  (Read 1021 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Android x86
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:34:54 pm »
A while ago I searched for and found a x86 version of the Android OS that can be virtualized. It would seem that Intel has also taken an interest in Android. Android-IA is Intel’s attempt to further eat ARM’s lunch when it comes to mobile platforms.

Android-x86.org has historically been focused on running Android on PCs, clamshell and notebook form factors, whereas Android-IA is focused on mobile platforms that are similar to existing Android compatible devices. Android-IA does include a small amount of low-level code from Android-x86 and we are grateful for it. Members of Android-x86.org are encouraged to use any code from Android-IA as they wish to further their work.

Android X86 can be virtualized on: QEMU, VirtualBox and VMWare. The VMWare aspect has been interesting as there are multiple people and companies scrambling to virtualize not emulate it. For example AndroVM.

Don’t expect Google Play to work with Android X86, manual .apk installations work and black markets should work. For extra hilarity run an iPhone emulator on your virtual Android, after all you should have the RAM and spare CPU cycles for it. The Android Debug Bridge is needed to transfer files over a LAN, VAN or USB. It is a command line utility included with the Android SDK. The quick and dirty method using Android Debug Bridge:

1.   If you don't already have ADB on your system, download this package and unzip the contents to C:\ADB.
2.   Ensure Android-x86 is using a Bridged or Host-Only network connection. Do not use a NAT connection like we selected when getting Android-x86 to connect to the Internet.
3.   From within Android-x86, hit ALT + F1 to bring up the command line.
4.   Type netcfg and press enter. Record the IP address likely listed next to eth0.
5.   Hit ALT + F7 to return to the Android GUI.
6.   On your PC (not your virtual machine), press Windows Key + R to open the Run... dialog.
7.   Type cmd in the dialog box and hit enter to bring up a command prompt.
8.   Navigate to your ADB directory by typing cd \ADB and hitting enter.
9.   Type adb kill-server and hit enter.
10.   Type adb connect [IP address you recorded]:5555
11.   Place your desired .apk file in C:\ADB
12.   Type adb install [the exact name of your .apk] and hit enter
13.   You should see the .apk file install and then see it available in your app menu from within Android-x86

Fun fact: Android does not have ifconfig, dig and route! In addition to a bug where versions 2.1 to 4.1.1 keeps using the same IP address even after a lease expires! This bug is not limited to x86 architecture. To use Android X86 with a LAN via DHCP:

Code: [Select]
netcfg eth0 up
netcfg eth0 dhcp
setprop net.dns1 [your DNS server usually your router]
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*