Author Topic: Charge for usage of Facebook and Twitter? Brilliant!  (Read 4189 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Charge for usage of Facebook and Twitter? Brilliant!
« on: July 29, 2013, 02:22:15 pm »

Biz Stone, Twitter co-founder, Facebook “ideator”. Will someone tell me what an “ideator” is? Because if user feedback can do his job then he is a pretentious waste.

Stone said that after finally learning to love Facebook -- he needs to use it to communicate with his new co-workers -- he believes the social network should offer people a choice to pay $10 a month to avoid ads. Because ads, which the company he used to run also uses to keep that service free, totally suck.
AAHAHAHAHAA is this guy serious? Pay to remove ads? Have people pay to use Twitter? Ever head of adblock, noscript, Privoxy, ect? Don’t quit your day job buddy.

On second thought, DO IT DOUCHE! Kill your own service off via short sighted greed. Having Twitter go the way of the dodo will cut down a lot of white noise on the internet. No more search entries that are retweets of previous search results.

“The fact that your competitor is forced to use your product to talk to his own employees is probably the single biggest sign that you shouldn't be listening to business ideas from said competitor.”

"In general, the ads on Facebook don't seem particularly useful or engaging. However, ads on the service are universally tolerated because that's what makes Facebook free and free is nice," Stone wrote on Medium, a (free) blogging platform developed and backed by Stone and his fellow Twitter co-founder Evan Williams.
Lol free is only good when it benefits you right?

Everybody thinks because I’m one of “the Twitter guys” that I must be good at using all social media. The truth is, if I can’t figure an app out in a minute, I usually move on to something else. Too many settings and options frustrate and confuse me. I like making simple stuff because I enjoy simple stuff.
Computers Smart devices Software on smart devices are hard :P. This is how I know he has nothing to do with the API. What a waste.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Charge for usage of Facebook and Twitter? Brilliant!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:01 pm »
I have an ad-blocker going non-stop, and have since before I joined Facebook. There are ads on Facebook? Does this forum have ads?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »
*looks down at adblocker*

2 out of 100 items blocked.  Yep this site has ads.

That being said, it's not really charging to use Facebook and Twitter, it's charging to have ads removed (and I'm sure some other features as well, I literally cannot be arsed enough to look into your links though)

So, sensationalist topic title is sensationalist.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:35:42 am »
It's The Illusive Man. Hysterical sensationalism is what he does.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:41 am »
It's The Illusive Man. Hysterical sensationalism is what he does.

I guess that's why he can see when other users are doing it, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:06:15 am »
AAHAHAHAHAA is this guy serious? Pay to remove ads? Have people pay to use Twitter? Ever head of adblock, noscript, Privoxy, ect?

Of course he has. Now, your average Facebook-using grandma, on the other hand...

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:06:43 am »
We have a saying in Finland: "Ei se ole tyhmä joka pyytää vaan se joka maksaa."

Basically: "The one who asks (for a huge sum of money) is not stupid, the one who pays it is."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:42:03 am »

Basically: "The one who asks (for a huge sum of money) is not stupid, the one who pays it is."
You know, you caught me at a time in which I couldn't possibly second that hard enough.

Just a warning to everyone, I'm probably not going to shut up about getting $50 for a Steam trading card anytime soon.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:38:25 am »

You know, you caught me at a time in which I couldn't possibly second that hard enough.

Just a warning to everyone, I'm probably not going to shut up about getting $50 for a Steam trading card anytime soon.

Was it at least a foil one?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 09:38:47 am »
Nope.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:57:52 am »
So are we all in agreement that this is a brilliant manouver by Facebook and Twitter and that anyone willing pay for the "no ads" function when there is a free option that does the same deserves to lose that money?

Capitalism HO!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
Exactly. And now I have a sudden urge to play Recettear again.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 10:05:12 am »

Well, that is my good and/or evil deed for the day.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19:07 am »

Speaking of which, it's 75% off on Steam today.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 01:25:14 pm »
So are we all in agreement that this is a brilliant manouver by Facebook and Twitter and that anyone willing pay for the "no ads" function when there is a free option that does the same deserves to lose that money?

Capitalism HO!
I agree. No love for the idiots, adblock is free.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.