Author Topic: Which political candidate do you side with?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Which political candidate do you side with?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 11:31:08 am »
If I had known about Stein from the beginning, I'd be backing her through the entire election.  What can we do to get our first independent elected?

Reform the bs, known as our electoral system

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »
If I had known about Stein from the beginning, I'd be backing her through the entire election.  What can we do to get our first independent elected?

...and good luck getting the D's and R's to abolish the one thing that keeps them entrenched in power.

Offline Normandy

• Pope
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 04:22:11 pm »
Candidates you side with...

89% Barack Obama
84% Kent Mesplay
83% Jill Stein
27% Ron Paul
18% Mitt Romney

Who you side with by party...

89% Democratic
84% Green
33% Libertarian
18% Republican

You are a strong Democrat but your stances on issues also side you with Greens. You are socially and fiscally Liberal.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 04:47:47 pm »

That might be true if we could get an independent candidate to get even 10% of the vote first.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »

That might be true if we could get an independent candidate to get even 10% of the vote first.
I'm tellin' ya, if everyone who's unimpressed by both major candidates would vote for someone else, there'd be a huge upset. Instead of this constant "Well you gotta vote for X or Y doesn't win" that I've heard every single election year for as long as I've been alive, why don't you fucking vote for someone you actually want in office? Don't give me that "Well I want my vote to count" bullshit; if everyone who said that voted for who they actually wanted, we'd see a viable 3rd party come along and deny both the Dems or Repubs the 50%+ majority they're used to.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 09:18:37 pm »

I'm tellin' ya, if everyone who's unimpressed by both major candidates would vote for someone else, there'd be a huge upset. Instead of this constant "Well you gotta vote for X or Y doesn't win" that I've heard every single election year for as long as I've been alive, why don't you fucking vote for someone you actually want in office? Don't give me that "Well I want my vote to count" bullshit; if everyone who said that voted for who they actually wanted, we'd see a viable 3rd party come along and deny both the Dems or Repubs the 50%+ majority they're used to.

BINGO
Too many people decide to hold their noses, and decide to vote for the"lesser of the two evils" rather to vote for who they really would like to have in office.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:09 am »

BINGO
Too many people decide to hold their noses, and decide to vote for the"lesser of the two evils" rather to vote for who they really would like to have in office.

The reason is because people vote strategically instead of actually doing what a democracy was designed for and voting based on your personal values. Voting independent causes a spoiler effect and hence people avoid doing so, because as much as they like the independent, they really fear / hate the large party that would win as a result of the spoiler effect, and hence the vote for the best opposition to that party as a safety measure.

Personally I despise the general voting rhetoric about "if you don't vote you cant complain", or "it doesn't matter who you vote for you must just vote against something" and other such phrases. They are as much to blame for the current problems as anything else. Your vote is supposed to be a pledge of support for that party / person. Why vote if you cannot honestly support that person? Why choose them if they truly do not hold the same values as you do, because you will never get what you desire and stand behind if you choose to give your support so flippantly.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 09:20:11 am »
Since I'm in the 51st State and therefore disenfranchised, it's a bit redundant. But still:

81% Gary Johnson
73% tied Barack Obama & Ron Paul
72% Jill Stein
43% Mitt Romney

"You are a moderate Libertarian. You are socially Liberal but fiscally Conservative."

Hmm, that does surprise me a bit, I definitely don't see myself as a Libertarian at all.