Author Topic: Awesome gaming moments  (Read 9525 times)

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
Re: Awesome gaming moments
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:32:21 am »
Ahh, I think it's time for some Diablo 2 war stories... I used to play that game a LOT.

I had a friend I'd regularly play with.  We made a lot of PvP characters, and both got quite good.  In one particular game, we went into a free for all dueling game, teamed with each other, and laid waste to everyone else.  After killing a bunch of people (they respawn, so this goes on for who knows how long), I finally died in this huge fucking melee, but not before taking a couple of them out.

I looked at the party screen(as I always do when I die), and every other person(6 people) had joined into a single party against the two of us.  My friend was chilling in town (afk).  I had thought it was still a free for all, but I was actually beating the crap out of 6 people teamed against me, and didn't lose until they made a coordinated effort to rush me all at once.

-------------------------------

I went into a PvP game with my Kuko zon (lv 36, or whatever the lv requirement for Kuko is), and kept losing against this lv90+ zon with top end equipment(shaft, gaze, cruel mat.).  I finally took her out after about 10 tries, and saw "HOLY SHIT!!!" when she looked at the party screen and realized I was level 30-something that whole time.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 12:08:46 am »
I don't own an X-Box 360, but a friend I work with does, and he brought it to my house for us to play Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi. He has been playing it for about a week, which gave him a pretty good leg up on me.

Well, needless to say, he roflstomped me for the first round. But, the next round didn't go quite as well for him.

He was Goku, super saiyan mode. I was Yamcha. He comes in to start, what I assume to be, a punishing flurry of fists followed by a brutal combo that would end with my character scraping a boulder out of his nostril. Instead, Goku finds himself getting bitch slapped by quite possibly the weakest of the Z fighters. As Goku's head snapped back around, anger glowing in his eyes, he finds Yamcha's foot flying towards his genital regions. My friend gave a beautiful squeak of shock as Yamcha punched and kicked the shit out of Goku's sperm. The screen froze for one of the "clashes", which he rushedly smacked a button for. The wrong one. What ensued was possibly the most beautiful of smack downs as Yamcha played hacky-sack with Goku's head. It finally ends with his character lying in a crater that just got barraged with energy blasts. My friend, now snapped out of his shock, powers up and goes in to deliver another ass kicking, but instead gets greeted by a mule kick to the face. Before he could even get his head fully flung back, he found himself trapped in another cutscene in which Yamcha throws out a Spirit Ball. My friend, who had a chance to counter it, accidentally hits another wrong button and ends up doing nothing. He is now down to below half his health and hasn't touched my character yet. Another round of sissy slaps ensues, without any pain on my half again, quickly followed by another barrage of blasts. Finally, a much more powerful Spirit Ball slams him in the face, ending the little tirade.

Second round, perfect victory for me!

Third and subsequent rounds, back to the first. ._.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 12:22:23 am »
Hydro Thunder, one of my favorite arcade games ever. Specifically, the Lake Powell level.

That moment when you get a high enough speed off of the end of the final waterfall to hit the train passing overhead.

My 8-year-old self shat a brick.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:28:49 am by VirtualStranger »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 01:57:43 am »
Considering Artromeri's been having problems finding groups recently, I've taken up playing my little Monk girl on Ghallanda.

Nothin too epic, but she did Stormcleave Outpost on elite a day or two ago...did fairly well, managed to wipe the floor with a host of trolls, bugbears, and minotaurs.  Got up to the big boss, a fire giant named General Xanti'lar, with relative ease...only one death, and that was because a hireling decided an active cold trap was a good place to hang out for a while.  We wiped out all of the General's minions that were buffing him, and proceeded to wipe the floor with his gargantuan ass...and I got the killing punch, straight to his nethers!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline NonProphet

• Apprentice
  • Bowties are cool.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:39 pm »
DnD game, 3.5 I think? It's been a little while.

Anyway, our DM was one of those "killing PCs is fun" types, so he'd put our characters into impossibly dangerous situations just to "win." I forget why we kept letting him run.

Anyway, there was one game where we - a 6th-level group, I think? - were fighting our way up this tower, only to find the top floor had a chunk of the roof missing, and generally looking abandoned. Except for the suspicious-looking hoard over there...
Yep, it belonged to a dragon. An elder red dragon. One that decided to show up just as we were drooling over the loot we'd found.

Luckily, our mage had a brilliant plan. We managed to avoid death the first round, so the ranger tied the party's small Bag of Holding to an arrow & took aim. The wizard managed to slap a Portable Hole on the dragon's hide, much to the dragon's irritation (and the mage's detriment).
Then the ranger fired.

For those of you not familiar with D&D and the way its magic works: there is a rule that you cannot put a bag of holding in any other pocket-dimension-creating item, such as a portable hole, because the magical recoil will destroy the items and, in the process, everything near them by way of implosion.

I think you see where this is going.

So, after imploding an entire dragon, we had the problem of figuring out how to haul all his stuff away without our magic bag. Thankfully, the (rather creepy) mage thought up an idea that still haunts my dreams: building a cart out of the bodies of our defeated enemies and pulling it to the edge of the nearest town.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:08 pm »
^ Reminds me of our gaming group.

Our Good Cleric kept suggesting that we burn down an elf village in order to get the MacGuffin we were searching for.

And our DM, who while he isn't one of those "Kill the PC" type of DMs, does keep throwing stuff that's theoretically too high for us.

I say theoretically because, for some reason, we just breeze through these incredibly tough encounters.  Oh, we sustain injury and stuff, but none of us have gone unconscious yet.

Though one PC did die before I had joined.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »
^ Reminds me of our gaming group.

Our Good Cleric kept suggesting that we burn down an elf village in order to get the MacGuffin we were searching for.

And our DM, who while he isn't one of those "Kill the PC" type of DMs, does keep throwing stuff that's theoretically too high for us.

I say theoretically because, for some reason, we just breeze through these incredibly tough encounters.  Oh, we sustain injury and stuff, but none of us have gone unconscious yet.

Though one PC did die before I had joined.

To be fair, he's actually throwing stuff we can take out.  I mean that Flesh Golem wasn't too hard to fight.  Now it's when he throws out a NPC with PC levels.  That'll get us killed.

Ironbite-hopefully he's frozen that one enemy and we won't have to deal with him for awhile.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:58 am »
DnD game, 3.5 I think? It's been a little while.

Anyway, our DM was one of those "killing PCs is fun" types, so he'd put our characters into impossibly dangerous situations just to "win." I forget why we kept letting him run.

Anyway, there was one game where we - a 6th-level group, I think? - were fighting our way up this tower, only to find the top floor had a chunk of the roof missing, and generally looking abandoned. Except for the suspicious-looking hoard over there...
Yep, it belonged to a dragon. An elder red dragon. One that decided to show up just as we were drooling over the loot we'd found.

Luckily, our mage had a brilliant plan. We managed to avoid death the first round, so the ranger tied the party's small Bag of Holding to an arrow & took aim. The wizard managed to slap a Portable Hole on the dragon's hide, much to the dragon's irritation (and the mage's detriment).
Then the ranger fired.

For those of you not familiar with D&D and the way its magic works: there is a rule that you cannot put a bag of holding in any other pocket-dimension-creating item, such as a portable hole, because the magical recoil will destroy the items and, in the process, everything near them by way of implosion.

I think you see where this is going.

So, after imploding an entire dragon, we had the problem of figuring out how to haul all his stuff away without our magic bag. Thankfully, the (rather creepy) mage thought up an idea that still haunts my dreams: building a cart out of the bodies of our defeated enemies and pulling it to the edge of the nearest town.

Sounds like the kinds of games I enjoyed running, well except for the Killer DM part.  I was more of an evil DM who always gave the PC's a chance, but also tended to do evil things to keep the PC's on their toes (glass walls on the either side of chasms, walls of force panels on floor and ceiling, killer droids that resembled giant stuffed animals, a screaming, lightning throwing, psychotic ewok, etc.). 

That being said, I loved when the PC's went off the rails and found solutions that I never thought of before, so I kept encouraging it.  My main rule was that if the PC's got into a mess (through their own words, actions, plans, etc.), they were responsible for getting themselves out.  Then, through liberal use of Batman and Xanatos Gambits, I'd put them through some rather 'challenging' events, all the while they thought it was their fault.

Despite the laser glares and occassional death threats, no one really complained, and in all my years of gaming, only one PC has ever died.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"