Author Topic: Weird conspiracy against a writer  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Weird conspiracy against a writer
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:51:00 am »
OK, so I just stumbled onto this but apparently something like this has happened:

Over the last two years or so there have been allegations about Ed McDonald (a British fantasy writer) harassing women. Many of the allegations came from respected members in r/Fantasy subreddit and were even backed by a mod. Now it turns out that all these allegations came from one person (or possibly several but at this point everything is confusing) who had spent years making fake profiles and allegations. Some of the other mods apparently are now panicking that they in turn might fall victim to the clearly deranged person behind this.

Here's a better summary:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/b6k9lh/the_ongoing_saga_of_how_a_rogue_lunatic_hatched_a/

The victim of this campaign himself showed up and among other things, mentioned that he has never met the person behind this harassment and went on to ask people not to turn this into some sort of anti-Metoo thing.

All in all, this is weird and creepy.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Weird conspiracy against a writer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:42:20 pm »
Yeah - the far right like Cernovich love to co-opt movements like MeToo to discredit their political enemies. Cernovich is a political vulture. Nothing is too much for him to exploit. "Oh women are talking about the abuse they've suffered? I'd better use this to my own advantage - heil hitler."
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 04:14:12 pm »
Which is what he tried to do to James Gunn after Gunn insulted his lord and savior, Trump.

Ironbite-Gunn's back on Guardians of the Galaxy.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:44:59 am »
This is so much weirder than Cernovich. Weirdo Mike Therno is a dipshit, but he's also really really dumb and lazy. I doubt someone like him would be capable of this kind of thing. People with a functioning cerebral cortex can look at that sad state of affairs for a few minutes and realize that what he says is a load of shit.

This dude spent what was likely all his free time on creating endless realistic personas all to take down some guy he never met for reasons that have yet to be elaborated on. That is far more insidious than Mikey. It blows a creep like him out of the water in creep factor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:42:59 am »
At some places it is argued that this was done by a couple. That the wife had been turned down by the writer and when she decided to go for revenge her husband teamed up with her and they spent years on this. Which would be the weirdest "couples goal" that I've heard of if it is true but there's way too many rumours at this point to verify it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 02:45:33 am »
That sounds plausible. A little too cliche soap opera drama, but well within the realm of possibility and provides a motive. Weirdos tend to attract other weirdos and drag each other to new lows. Like how incels encourage each other to go on mass shooting attacks or I guess in this case, try and harass and defame somebody.