Author Topic: Nexon wants to buyout EA  (Read 6821 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Nexon wants to buyout EA
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »
Electronic Arts shares are trading higher Thursday morning on a report that apparently originated with a South Korean newspaper that said the South Korean online game company Nexon has made a bid for EA.
The story notes that Nexon’s most famous game is Kart Rider, and that the company’s current top games are MapleStory and Dungeon & Fighter.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/04/26/ea-spikes-on-report-japans-nexon-makes-takeover-bid/?partner=yahootix

I am definitely gonna be watching this.  I would love for EA to come under new management that isn't about nickel and diming its' fans.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Nexon wants to buyout EA
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »
After all of the smaller game companies that EA bought out and ran into the ground, EA fucking deserves it. I'd love to see them being the ones to get taken over, for a change.

Let's hope this company does the same thing to them that they did to others.

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:38 pm »
Comeuppance for destroying Origin?  2012, don't disappoint me now.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Distind

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:26 pm »
From the games I've played from these guys the most amazing thing is would happen, EA would actually get worse.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:50:41 pm »
I will never forgive them for what happened to Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis, Pandemic, and Bioware.

They deserve everything they get. Even if that involves being bought out by a Korean company known for Pay2Win MMOs.

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
Duuuuuuuuuude...I forgot about Westwood.  Yeah, EA can go thru a stump grinder.

Saturn500

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:07:09 pm »
Would this even be possible? My predictions say: No, but it would be pretty nice.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »
Would this even be possible? My predictions say: No, but it would be pretty nice.

Nexon is a pretty huge company. They're pretty much one of the biggest names in the Korean gaming market.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »
It would be nice to see EA have it stuck to them for once.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Saturn500

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:35 pm »

Nexon is a pretty huge company. They're pretty much one of the biggest names in the Korean gaming market.

I know that. I actually spent money in a few of their games when I still played them. Keep in mind, however, that EA is even richer. I think.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »

I know that. I actually spent money in a few of their games when I still played them. Keep in mind, however, that EA is even richer. I think.

Wrong Nexon is worth roughly $8 billion while EA only sits at roughly $5 Billion.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/26/ea-shares-up-after-nexon-makes-a-bid-for-the-firm/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:31:42 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:43:21 am »
To be honest, I had fun with DFO and Maplestory (especially since I believe that they've actually been cutting down on the Pay2Win factor, at least for Maplestory) so hey, if Nexon buys EA, it'll probably be an improvement.

I mean, weirder things have happened.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 08:45:54 pm »

Wrong Nexon is worth roughly $8 billion while EA only sits at roughly $5 Billion.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/26/ea-shares-up-after-nexon-makes-a-bid-for-the-firm/

...I should've worn brown pants.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »

I am definitely gonna be watching this.  I would love for EA to come under new management that isn't about nickel and diming its' fans.

Nexon is all about nickel and diming. I used to play one of their games. It started out as totally free, but over time they introduced a cash shop useless fun things, then eventually they added a bunch of things that gave great advantages. Eventually it got to the point where playing without buying cash points was the slowest and shittiest way to play. Some people spend hundreds on it.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Online RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 11:59:36 pm »
Which is one of the reasons I like Turbine's take on the whole microtransaction gig.  A good...90% of the items (not including things like adventure packs) you can buy are things you can find in-game.  Yes, some of them are rare...exceedingly so, such as stat tomes and experience-boosting potions, but you -can- acquire them without buying them.

Also, you can earn your cash points through gameplay, and not just by buying them...though, purchasing them is far, far more efficient...if you have the money.