Author Topic: "Invisible" bike helmets?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
"Invisible" bike helmets?
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:59:44 pm »
These two women spent a lot of money and around 7 years to make what they call an invisible bicycle helmet.  The result:

http://www.upworthy.com/the-invisible-bike-helmet-that-youll-have-to-not-see-to-believe?g=2&c=ufb1
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: "Invisible" bike helmets?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »
That's fairly clever.  Essentially it seems like an airbag for your head.

That being said, I would be nervous using it, in case it didn't deploy.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:29:44 am »
It would make a great accessory for one of these:

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:35:45 am »
I wonder what its deployment mechanism is. It seems to be tilt operated from what I can see.

I think it is a good idea. it acts more like an airbag and so should help cushion ones head better than a hard helmet, as well as protecting the neck as well. It looks like a genuinely good idea and product.

If I cycled at all, (I need to fix my bike before I can even think of doing that) I would be likely to invest in one of these.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »
It is most likely triggered by an accelerometer chip, as are airbags. Once the chip sensors are tripped by a sudden shift of movement/direction that falls within the parameters of an accidental impact, it in turn trips a solenoid that instantly releases compressed gas into the bag. With the eyes left uncovered by the air bag, even a malfunction would be harmless, though mighty startling. A very clever redesign of existing tech, and would encourage more riders to always have a head safety device on while cycling.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:50:48 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:31:31 pm »
I think I remember seeing a similar idea done with a motorcycle jacket that had air bags in it.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:30:42 pm »
And who says women can't invent anything useful?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline future colours

• Neonate
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:34:19 am »
awww. what about some invisible :P guns.. like on yugioh :P

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »
My sister and I spent so much time watching this video and hearing them talk about it, excited to see just what they had made.

Seeing a giant collar that inflates into a helmet in literally the last seconds of the video was a bit....underwhelming.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 12:44:22 am »
I don't mind wearing a helmet while cycling, so personally I would rather have a visible helmet that turns into a better safer helmet.

Or, you know just have that better helmet.

But I suppose this same technology has better uses, like it was said earlier this seems a lot like the motorcycle air bags.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 11:00:04 am »
Eh, it's still better than not wearing any helmet at all.  If some people are more likely to wear this than a traditional helmet, then that's good.  Those of us who are good with regular helmets can continue wearing them, and other people can still have their noggins safe.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »
Or an invisible bicycle, also like on Yu-Gi-Oh.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 12:18:18 am »
Or an invisible bicycle, also like on Yu-Gi-Oh.
How about some invisible clothes?

You know for nudists who live in colder climates. And kings. Gotta have invisible clothes for the king.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »
While the helmet is nice and all, I find the whole "We have conquered the impossible!" narrative really annoying. You'd think they built a portable anti-gravity repulsor field, rather than a cleverly-shaped airbag.
Σא

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »
While the helmet is nice and all, I find the whole "We have conquered the impossible!" narrative really annoying. You'd think they built a portable anti-gravity repulsor field, rather than a cleverly-shaped airbag.

I will admit to having legitimately wanted to see them create an invisible or nearly invisible helmet through some revolutionary materials science. The video is literally nothing but the two of them talking about how amazing they are and about some sexist guy who didn't like them until the last few seconds, when they show off a rather benign inflatable helmet.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.