Author Topic: North Colorado wants to be 51st state  (Read 1764 times)

wrightway

North Colorado wants to be 51st state
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:17:03 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/northern-colorado-wants-secede-colorado-174432609.html

So the citizens of northern Colorado, and two counties in Nebraska, want to form their own state.

The secession movement stems from "a growing urban-rural divide," with state lawmakers in Denver passing sweeping gun control legislation and calling for more renewable energy and less oil and gas production—a big part of northern Colorado's economy.

Oh, gee, a state that has become synonymous with school tragedy wants gun control, perish the thought.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
Re: North Colorado wants to be 51st state
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:43:56 am »
So they are mad because people want to save the environment and not get shot?

*plays world's tiniest violin*
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:38:20 am »
How about this? We kick them out of the union, declared war on them, demolish them, then make them a state. It's only fair, since none of the other states had it so easy as to go "We wanna be a state too!"
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:29:38 am »
How about this? We kick them out of the union, declared war on them, demolish them, then make them a state. It's only fair, since none of the other states had it so easy as to go "We wanna be a state too!"

West Virginia?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:41:07 am »
It seems like secession is the go-to solution for every other issue these people have. Does it strike anyone else as the conservative equivalent of "Fuck you, I'm gonna go play with my toys somewhere else!"?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:19:21 am »
It seems like secession is the go-to solution for every other issue these people have. Does it strike anyone else as the conservative equivalent of "Fuck you, I'm gonna go play with my toys somewhere else!"?
That, with a dose of them not realizing that a good 80-90% of their toys aren't even theirs to begin with.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:52 am »

*hits with rolled up newspaper*

NO!  BAD BOY!  NO BISCUIT!

wrightway

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:48 am »

West Virginia?

West Virginia came about during the civil war when a chunk of Virginia wanted to remain with the United States instead of following the rest of the state into the Confederacy. It was hardly a peaceful or easy split.

What got me was the fact that these rubes are effectively bitching because they are no longer the majority. And the comments section *shudders* was a very scary place. Why are people so itchy for another civil war?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »
Blegh... please... no civil war.  The last one really sucked and was a total drag, man...

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:24 pm »
Probably because they figure they've got old scores to settle about... let's call it economics...
Oh, and that they'll win and drive out all us godless, baby-eating liberals. Don't you know? War solves all problems, especially petty grievances! And war!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:16:06 pm »
Puerto Rico, the logical and deserved and most likely fifty-first-state-to-be. All the rest is stupid whiney bullshit from nut cases. And they'll freak out if and when PR chooses statehood, cuz thar a bunch o' spics an' furriners, not 'Murricans. ::)
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 12:52:54 pm »
To be fair, this is how a lot of the earlier states were formed.  Some of the original thirteen states were seen as too big or varied to be governed effectively, so they split into smaller states.  I disagree with the reasoning these people have put forth, but they're not doing anything really wrong.  They're not trying to secede from the union, only from Colorado.  There's a similar (albeit much less serious) movement in Southern Arizona to break away from the more conservative northern part of the state.  I wouldn't oppose them, if they were able to succeed.  So, I'm not going to make fun of the Northern Coloradans for their efforts, even if I disagree with their reasons.

To put it another way, what they're doing doesn't automatically become stupid just because they're conservatives.  It just means they're more prone to doing stupid shit.  Still have to judge on a case-by-case basis, and I don't think this is all that stupid.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »
Puerto Rico, the logical and deserved and most likely fifty-first-state-to-be. All the rest is stupid whiney bullshit from nut cases. And they'll freak out if and when PR chooses statehood, cuz thar a bunch o' spics an' furriners, not 'Murricans. ::)
Most of them likely thing Puerto Rico is another nation entirely.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »
Oh Zeus, it's the idiots from Weld. they're right next door to my county, Larimer. I remember driving through with my dad a week ago and he was talking about this. of course, I'm wondering how much the can do, seeing as there's hardly anyone there. I mean, Fort Collins, the city I live in, probably has a bigger population than the whole of Weld.

Also, yeah, they basically are like children. they decided what they wanted, and when the government didn't agree, they decided to throw a tantrum over it.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!