Author Topic: Chris Koster, Missouri state attorney general, wants to bring back gas chambers  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
I'm of the opinion that killing murderers and rapists isn't punishment.  You learn from being punished.  You can't learn if you're dead.

It is, however, revenge (especially with comments such as 'because they deserve it'), and I am of the STRONG opinion that vengenace has as little business being a part of the judicial system as religion does.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
I'm of the opinion that killing murderers and rapists isn't punishment.  You learn from being punished.  You can't learn if you're dead.

It is, however, revenge (especially with comments such as 'because they deserve it'), and I am of the STRONG opinion that vengenace has as little business being a part of the judicial system as religion does.
I don't consider it punishment, either. I do see it as revenge. I just feel that people like that only are deserving of revenge.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
This assumes that some rapists can/are willing to learn and/or sane.

Vengeance is limited in effectiveness and easily manipulated. If a rapist dies then he or she can not harm anyone else, this is not enough. It is the caveat of wishing for all the rapists in the world to die. It stops the immediate problem but does not prevent rapists form existing in the future.

Preventative measures, in my opinion the creation of a biopsychosocial framework, are a better fit for justice. Being that convicted rapists can be forced into a study (as compared to execution) than an ample population is available for research.

To be honest I would prefer to see both a study and death occur, after all take no chances.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:51:52 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar

Vengeance is limited in effectiveness and easily manipulated. If a rapist dies then he or she can not harm anyone else, this is not enough. It is the caveat of wishing for all the rapists in the world to die. It stops the immediate problem but does not prevent rapists form existing in the future.

Preventative measures, in my opinion the creation of a biopsychosocial framework, are a better fit for justice. Being that convicted rapists can be forced into a study (as compared to execution) than an ample population is available for research.

To be honest I would prefer to see both a study and death occur, after all take no chances.
I agree with this. I would certainly like to see the psychological study of them
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast

Well if we're going to force people to do stuff and then kill them, can we use them as slave labor and then have them fight to the death as gladiators?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Well if we're going to force people to do stuff and then kill them, can we use them as slave labor and then have them fight to the death as gladiators?
Aren't they already effectively doing the first part with the prison work programs a lot of places have?

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Though amusing, no data gathered via scientific methodology thus no preventative measure can be created. To be honest I am willing to compromise on the death part when not gathering samples from death row, dang ethics mumble grumble.

Aren't they already effectively doing the first part with the prison work programs a lot of places have?
Ding ding ding we have a winnar!

Having them preform menial labor does not help, I rather see budget allocated to put them through therapy and teach a trade than to hammer out license plates. Because it is not viable to incarcerate them forever, they will be released back into society sooner or later. Except the rapists, they forfeited their status as human beings. Better to try and solve the problems that led to incarceration in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:01:03 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast

No. First, death row inmates aren't the ones doing prison work. Second, inmates are paid for their work. The amount is very small, true, but they are paid.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg