Author Topic: GamerGate has been exported to South Korea  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
GamerGate has been exported to South Korea
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:37 am »
...And it's about as bad as you would think.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37018916?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Voice actress wore a shirt with the phrase "Girls don't need a prince" which is one of the slogans for an organization that helps women who have been harassed or mistreated by men. The GG think this is offensive and organized a hate campaign against the actress.

That sexism, Megalia activist Alex Song says, feeds off images of "sexually exaggerated" women on screen.

The thought that one of the characters in the Korean game "Closers" should be voiced (out-of-vision) by someone who might wear a T-shirt with a feminist slogan was just too much for some.

The company agreed. The actress' voice will not be heard in the game.

In the real world, though, silencing feminist voices is harder.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
Re: GamerGate has been exported to South Korea
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:51:59 pm »
Trying to ruin someone's life over a fucking shirt: only OK when our side is doing it.

Anonymous boards that pretty much run on trolling, hatred, gore, defamation, death threats and doxxing: only OK when our side is doing it.

Accusing someone of guilt by association with an incredibly loose, varied and unorganized group of people: only OK when our side is doing it.

But, y'know. Ethics.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:19:45 pm »
Granted that the Megalia group does make fun of guys who harass women and claim that they have small dicks. ...Which has lead to the MRA's labeling Megalia as a hategroup and claims of misandry.

...But calling feminist/SJW women ugly and making misogynist statements doesn't make MRA/GG misogynist, because everything is OK when our side is doing it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:02:40 pm »
Four words: "by any means necessary."

Sums things up nicely.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 04:24:00 pm »
I just don't get GG.  I really don't.  Don't they want to touch a woman at some point?

Ironbite-or have they given that up as a pipe dream?

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:45:29 pm »
or have they given that up as a pipe dream?

Totally immersive VR -- because every wannabe alpha should be ruler of his own kingdom and have who they want, when they want, how they want.

Coming soon to lonely basements everywhere.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 04:33:56 am »

Sums things up nicely.
To do what by any means necessary, be dickbags? If so, mission frikken accomplished.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:53 am »

Sums things up nicely.
To do what by any means necessary, be dickbags? If so, mission frikken accomplished.

To expose misandry, of course!  In effect, to silence those of whom we do not approve.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 11:18:57 am »
Something about Ravy's comment made me think if there's a GG version of the Team Rocket motto. Couldn't find one yet but I'm not the first person to ask about it.

Then again, according to a some Donald Trump fangroup on Reddit the Team Rocket represent SJWs (despite the fact that the show predates SJW by several years.)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 01:05:26 pm »
Something about Ravy's comment made me think if there's a GG version of the Team Rocket motto. Couldn't find one yet but I'm not the first person to ask about it.

Then again, according to a some Donald Trump fangroup on Reddit the Team Rocket represent SJWs (despite the fact that the show predates SJW by several years.)

I always thought Team Rocket represented two ditzes and their cat who were terrible at their criminal career (in contrast to the larger Team Rocket, the criminal organization that stole and sold pokemon for money). I guess I'm just not that clever as the anti-SJW forces of the world.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 01:12:18 pm »
Nah, Jessia and James say that they want to "unite the nations" which clearly means that they oppose racism and sexism WHICH IS WRONGBAD exclamation mark.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4fu091/team_rocket_is_essentially_an_sjw_group/

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 01:17:57 pm »
Nah, Jessia and James say that they want to "unite the nations" which clearly means that they oppose racism and sexism WHICH IS WRONGBAD exclamation mark.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4fu091/team_rocket_is_essentially_an_sjw_group/

It is noteworthy that Jessie and James botched the official Team Rocket intro. It is a little known fact, revealed only in one or two episodes, but this is how it should go

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xobnIacrOU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xobnIacrOU</a>

(click to show/hide)

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 01:23:51 pm »
They've gone through several versions of the motto. Based on this list Butch and Cassidy have trouble with the lines while Jessie and James are likely to improvise and make the theme fit whatever situation they are in: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Team_Rocket_mottos

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:09 pm »
They've gone through several versions of the motto. Based on this list Butch and Cassidy have trouble with the lines while Jessie and James are likely to improvise and make the theme fit whatever situation they are in: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Team_Rocket_mottos

Yeah, Jessie and James started improvising the motto to reflect the situation around Gen 3. But I was ignoring that as it is simply a variation of their regular motto.