Author Topic: James Gunn Fired for Offensive Tweets  (Read 15914 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: James Gunn Fired for Offensive Tweets
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 09:15:31 am »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 10:28:00 am »
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand baby rape jokes.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 12:19:39 pm »
Hahaha, of course you see this the same way as Roseanne. Nevermind that this is the result of fucking Mike Cernovich.

How is this different? ELI5.

I hope Lana learns from this that we're not gonna be celebrating this.

I really hope that he gets rehired and the right wing gets offended we're "not keeping the same standurrd".

I'm not asking you to celebrate this. You'll see my reasons for posting this in due time.

Yeah!!! You’ll all see!
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 01:06:21 pm »
You have to have an even higher IQ to understand that Cartoon Network isn't Disney, and that the Adult Swim company might not be as worried about their reputation as "family-friendly". Galaxy brain macros come to mind here.

Gee, it's almost as if these people are actually terrible at 4D chess and only got so much success from surfing on already-popular ideas.

Fake, orchestrated displays of moral outrage has always been one of the right's primary weapons in the culture wars, along with the stigmatization of harmless traits and behaviors. For all their more up-to-date set of values and vocal opposition to "authoritarian SJWs", the alt-right and its associated currents are just as obsessed with conformity as any other social-conservative school of thought. In this mindset, social infractions are based on ingroup-outgroup distinctions rather than any kind of concern about harm, and any instance of public indignation has to be some kind of display of social dominance... a witch hunt, if you prefer.

Hence the bucketload of false equivalences brought here by our local water carrier. Hence also their utter lack of empathy for refugees and criminals, their interest in reclassifying any perceived threat as foreign in nature, and their warped interpretation of internal lefitst politics (intersectionality vs oppression olympics comes to mind), among other things.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 03:51:46 pm »
Before this thread is locked due to the flood of ...

Wait whut? I didn't type that sentence. I blame copy-pasting the link on my smartphone for it getting there, but it is still a fail that I didn't notice it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 04:11:36 pm »
Yeah - there's a lot of conformity advocacy on the right in general - Jim's Blog has advocated for the death penalty or exile for those who refuse to conform.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:41 pm »
No surprises here, the same people bellyaching about the left somehow oppressing them with pronouns and calling out bigotry are the same people who vote for suppressing unions and idiots who'll say with a straight face that the civil war was all about "states rights."

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 07:03:18 pm »
go and try to rape women without using force and that when they realize that it can't be done they must accept that "date rape" does not exist because it is impossible to commit a rape without force.

OK, I'd like some evidence that Cernovich said that and meant it.

Stop playing Nazi-Apologist. I mean, seriously? He said it on Twitter. And if he "said it and meant it?" What the fuck dude?

Quote from: The Nazi-Apologist
But more important, I think it might be more about holding people to their own standards. After the Roseanne debacle, Gunn made this now-deleted tweet:

I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean @ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.

He basically preemptively justified his own firing with this tweet, especially since ABC is owned by Disney. And the fact that he deleted it seems to indicate that he knows it too.

One, major false equivalency. Tweet-mining a poorly made joke almost a decade old pales with the extensive body of racist work behind Roseanne. For the love of God, Roseanne was tweeting anti-semitic conspiracy theories at Don Trump Jr. before going into her racist tirade of Valerie Jarrett. Two, Disney is free to fire Gunn. Three, people are free to say "hey, Disney, Cernovich is a sentient bag of rotting chicken hides, and we do not believe that this campaign to hold Gunn's quote against him accurately depicts his body of work. Give him a second chance." Funny how all of that works.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »
No surprises here, the same people bellyaching about the left somehow oppressing them with pronouns and calling out bigotry are the same people who vote for suppressing unions and idiots who'll say with a straight face that the civil war was all about "states rights."

Let's not generalize anti-SJWs like that. Though I'll admit that I may be guilty of lumping people together when they don't deserve it. If I do that, feel free to call me on it.

go and try to rape women without using force and that when they realize that it can't be done they must accept that "date rape" does not exist because it is impossible to commit a rape without force.

Stop playing Nazi-Apologist. I mean, seriously? He said it on Twitter. And if he "said it and meant it?" What the fuck dude?

Quote from: The Nazi-Apologist
But more important, I think it might be more about holding people to their own standards. After the Roseanne debacle, Gunn made this now-deleted tweet:

I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean @ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.

He basically preemptively justified his own firing with this tweet, especially since ABC is owned by Disney. And the fact that he deleted it seems to indicate that he knows it too.

One, major false equivalency. Tweet-mining a poorly made joke almost a decade old pales with the extensive body of racist work behind Roseanne. For the love of God, Roseanne was tweeting anti-semitic conspiracy theories at Don Trump Jr. before going into her racist tirade of Valerie Jarrett. Two, Disney is free to fire Gunn. Three, people are free to say "hey, Disney, Cernovich is a sentient bag of rotting chicken hides, and we do not believe that this campaign to hold Gunn's quote against him accurately depicts his body of work. Give him a second chance." Funny how all of that works.

Accusing somebody of being a Nazi apologist? I'm pretty sure that constitutes "being a dick".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:19:09 pm by Lana Reverse »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:16 pm »
Lana, that is a completely fair characterisation of anti SJWs on the web. They have two speeds, "muh freeze peach" and "shut it down." After Gamergate, /pol, butthurt Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Dr Who et al fans freaking out on womens in their franchises and bloody Incels I struggle to be fair with the shitheels. I'll be fair to the extent I won't use their worst unfair tactics back at them and only because I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 11:59:51 pm »
Lana, that is a completely fair characterisation of anti SJWs on the web. They have two speeds, "muh freeze peach" and "shut it down." After Gamergate, /pol, butthurt Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Dr Who et al fans freaking out on womens in their franchises and bloody Incels I struggle to be fair with the shitheels. I'll be fair to the extent I won't use their worst unfair tactics back at them and only because I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Do you really think that everybody whose only shared characteristic is being against something can be lumped together like members of a gang? Have you already forgotten Moffat himself debunking the media narrative about the Female Doctor backlash? Are you so deluded that you think the same people who accepted Leia Organa, Mara Jade, Shaak Ti, Ahsoka Tano, Aayla Secura, and Barriss Offee suddenly turned into sexist pigs for no apparent reason? How likely is it that the people who had no problems with a female Ghostbuster in the Wii game hated the reboot just because they hated women?

Tol, I know you're not stupid, but even intelligent people can sound completely preposterous.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 12:42:53 am »
It's not on Moffat to debunk. I'm on a classic Dr Who fanpage on Facebook and the moderators had to clean house to get rid of whiny dorks howling about the Doctor being a giiiiiiirrrlllll. Who yeah, howled about being censored after days howling "Shut it Down." Moffat has fuck all to do with it and should know better in any case, having been on the business end of lunatic fan outrage more than once.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:49:48 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2018, 07:13:23 am »

Accusing somebody of being a Nazi apologist? I'm pretty sure that constitutes "being a dick".

1. “If he said it and meant it” was a clear attempt to move the goal post by having us argue a subjective intent rather than the intentional, overt statements he put out into the world. I would suggest you read Sartre’s Being and Nothingness, if only because it will keep you off line for a week.
2. “If he said it and meant it.” Is evidence enough to support the conclusion that you’re a Nazi-apologist.
3. It would be absurd to interpret the DbaD rule to mean we cannot level fair criticisms unless we couch our language in politeness to protect the Nazi’s fee-fees.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2018, 09:32:51 am »
Shit, I barely couch my language to protect my brother's feefees, and I like my brother.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2018, 10:07:30 am »
It's not on Moffat to debunk. I'm on a classic Dr Who fanpage on Facebook and the moderators had to clean house to get rid of whiny dorks howling about the Doctor being a giiiiiiirrrlllll. Who yeah, howled about being censored after days howling "Shut it Down." Moffat has fuck all to do with it and should know better in any case, having been on the business end of lunatic fan outrage more than once.

I don't doubt that there was some backlash, but Moffat says that it was greatly exaggerated.

1. “If he said it and meant it” was a clear attempt to move the goal post by having us argue a subjective intent rather than the intentional, overt statements he put out into the world. I would suggest you read Sartre’s Being and Nothingness, if only because it will keep you off line for a week.
2. “If he said it and meant it.” Is evidence enough to support the conclusion that you’re a Nazi-apologist.
3. It would be absurd to interpret the DbaD rule to mean we cannot level fair criticisms unless we couch our language in politeness to protect the Nazi’s fee-fees.

I said it because of context. We were talking about a man getting fired for edgy jokes, so I wanted evidence that what Cernovich said was more than just edgy jokes.

And accusing fellow users of being Nazi apologists based entirely on one's own opinion constitutes a clear violation of the DBAD rule. You need to stop tossing around accusations like that.