Author Topic: Eelction time is coming in Northern Ireland.  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Eelction time is coming in Northern Ireland.
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:40 am »
The local government and European elections are on the 22nd May, and some soul was kind to enough to create this handy guide to voting in Northern Ireland:

(Spolered for size)
(click to show/hide)

That should give you a pretty good idea of why I hate Northern Ireland so much.  Sinn Fein and the DUP are by far and away the most popular parties: a democratic country/state/region/whatever that is run by murderers and religious fundamentalists tells you a lot about it's people.

Edit:  To save people time looking up each party, Sinn Fein and the SDLP are Republican and Nationalist respectively - which in NI means they want a united Ireland, Rebuplicans are rather more extreme about the issue (Sinn Fein was the political wing of the IRA) - which as a general rule means catholic (but not necessarily).  The DUP are Unionist and the PUP and TUV are Loyalist - which means they want NI to remain part of the united kingdom, and Loyalists are more extreme about the issue (the PUP had ties to Loyalist paramilitaries) - and as a general rule are protestant (but again, not necessarily).  The Alliance and NI21 are neither unionist/loyalist or nationalist/republican, they do not partake in the retarded tribalism nonsense the other parties do.  Hence why they're my only choice.

But it's important to know the in NI it's not really about religion; the two sides don't hate eachother over any actualy theological disagreements, in fact a hell of a lot of the stuanchest unionists probably couldn't even tell you what the differences between prtoestantism and catholicsim even are beyond not having a pope.  It's really more a form of tribalism.  They dislike eachother simply because they're the other group.

Oh, and when I refer to murderers I'm talking about Sinn Fein and when I say fundamentalists christians I mean the DUP (and some members of the other unionist/loyalist parties too).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:12:38 am by Katsuro »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Eelction time is coming in Northern Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:40 am »
Wow, that sucks.  Let's hope this doesn't lead to more violence.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:08 am »
Well elections in of themselves haven't caused violence so far in over 15 years.  I was more just venting at the state of the politcal parties here that we have to choose from.   There's basically only one party (maybe two but I need to learn more about NI21) I could ever in good conscience vote for, so if  they do anyhting to piss me off I don't really have anyone else I'd be fully happy to support.  Unless I suddenly turn into some kind of dickhead and start voting Sinn Fein or DUP like everyone else does.

The really weird thing is that recently Sinn Fein has turned into one of the more rational, level headed, moderate/moderate-left of the main parties...level headed calm rationality and moderation are not things you'd normally associate with former terrorists, as a rule.   Meanwhile certain members of the DUP make me feel like I'm living in the deep south of the US.  So if we only had the DUP and Sinn Fein and all other parties vanished, I think I'd have to vote Sinn Fein.  It's fucked up when you're pretty sure the  former terrorists would be the less likely ones to screw the country up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:57:27 am by Katsuro »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:40 pm »
All countries should strive for moderation, as long as it's in measured amounts.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:47:45 pm »
The really weird thing is that recently Sinn Fein has turned into one of the more rational, level headed, moderate/moderate-left of the main parties...level headed calm rationality and moderation are not things you'd normally associate with former terrorists, as a rule.

There's a possibility that they've been sat down, and been told 'look at what you're supporting and how it's affecting people.  Doesn't that concern you at ALL?' and... they may have reconsidered.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:30:15 am »
It's also possible that violence radicalises people. Crazy I know.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Yla

• The Beast
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:05:54 pm »
http://www.npr.org/2014/05/01/308544778/sinn-fein-leader-arrested-over-1972-ira-killing

Sinn Fein chief Gerry Adams was arrested.

The response of an NI friend of mine to this was 'if you're under 20, then Gerry Adams has been in prison for longer than you've been alive'.